Cutting a new slot in the Matrix scope mount

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michigan man

Cutting a new slot in the Matrix scope mount

Post by michigan man »

I've got a Nikon Bolt on my 355 and it is mounted back as far as I can get it. I would like to get 1/2 inch more eye relief. Has anybody ever cut or filed a new slot in their scope mount? Details on what you used and how you did it would be great. Thanks
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
DES

Re: Cutting a new slot in the Matrix scope mount

Post by DES »

I've used the Weaver Dual Extended rings (#49061), it gives you about 1/2" more eye relief and would be easier than cutting another slot.
Excal 350 SE
Stryker LS 390
Scorpyd Vent 150
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Pretty easy. Use a square to layout a square line across mount.Use a scribe to mark it. Waste most away with a Dremel tool and cut off wheel making sure you do no get outside the lines. Clamp a block on mount along square line and use a file( they will have a small one at hrdwr. stores that is about the correct width) and use block as a file guide to file to proper depth.Its much easier than my description sounds. Good layout, waste most material away, use guide to file. For many years most gunsmiths tools were a good set of screwdrivers and a good set of files.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

X2 what flightattendant100 said. Make sure that the distance from the other slot that you plan to use is correct which is determined by the wiggle room on the scope body. I had to cut a new front slot on my Equinox to place the Bolt Xr where I had the proper eye relief.
Last edited by Deerstalker on Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Offset scope rings is easy.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

That offset ring looks awful high...........

edited to add: easy fix for you is to get an 'old' scope mount, the weaver rail goes all the way to the rear......The 'new' ones stop where yours does for clearance on some scopes they sell.

Call Danny Miller in Sardis, Oh, he'll probably swap you for postage. 740 483-2312.
"Eze 18:21"
greybuff

Post by greybuff »

Awshucks,
Do you have a picture of the old scope mount? I'd like tosee one.
Thx....
MICRO 335 CAMO
Nikon Bolt
2Stage TT
FOR THE LITTLE LADY:
VIXEN from an EXOCET (VIXOCET)
Varizone
BOO STRING
Homemade Bumpers
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Kinda sort of........look real close at the rear of the mount, it goes all the way to the end by your eye, whereas the 'new' ones have about 1" - 1 1/4" of Weaver rail machined off.

I can't find it on the left side of the forum, maybe someone else has a shot of one.

Another view [w/ proto type rf mount]
"Eze 18:21"
mndoggie

Post by mndoggie »

My problem is that I needed to move the scope further to the front cuz I couldn't get the eye relief at a comfortable, useable point on my Ibex crossbow even when the factory scope was mounted as far forward as the mounting rings would allow.

I had to literaly move my head backwards (and get no cheek weld) or hold the butt of the stock about three inches away from my shoulder.

I ended up getting another 1/2" picatinny riser (had to do some machining cuz the mounting holes were at the ends) to allow me to move the scope further to the front.

LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

michigan man wrote:I've got a Nikon Bolt on my 355 and it is mounted back as far as I can get it. I would like to get 1/2 inch more eye relief. Has anybody ever cut or filed a new slot in their scope mount? Details on what you used and how you did it would be great. Thanks
Mich. If you can get the mount to me I will gladly mill you a new slot.
Jim
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
strum

Post by strum »

mndoggie wrote:My problem is that I needed to move the scope further to the front cuz I couldn't get the eye relief at a comfortable, useable point on my Ibex crossbow even when the factory scope was mounted as far forward as the mounting rings would allow.

I had to literaly move my head backwards (and get no cheek weld) or hold the butt of the stock about three inches away from my shoulder.

I ended up getting another 1/2" picatinny riser (had to do some machining cuz the mounting holes were at the ends) to allow me to move the scope further to the front.

Im thinking you need to add some spacers to your stock..I had the same problem once..i found it wasn't that I needed to move the scope forward it was that I needed to move my shoulder and head back.
try this..just to see.. find you a 1" piece of Styrofoam.. cut it to fit your butt plate..don't worry about it it fitting well it's just for a test ..tape it on and shoot ..if you find your self fitting better then you need to order the Excalibur stock extender kit..hope this helps.
oh and just cause it your money im spending ,you need a cheek piece too :lol: :lol: to find out use a piece of 1" pipe insulation on the top of your stock ..a lot of us have done that..its a red neck cheek piece..works great
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
michigan man

Post by michigan man »

LongCarbine wrote:
michigan man wrote:I've got a Nikon Bolt on my 355 and it is mounted back as far as I can get it. I would like to get 1/2 inch more eye relief. Has anybody ever cut or filed a new slot in their scope mount? Details on what you used and how you did it would be great. Thanks
Jim
That's mighty kind of you. With all this talk about dry fires, I'm going to get the Guardian Anti-Dry Fire mount. Another month or so I'll have enough Cabela points to get one. I'll pm you when I get it. Thanks, again
Micro 335, Leupold VX3 1.5X5, 16" BEE"S, Lumenok, 100 grain Swhacker, 100 grain Wac-Em
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

michigan man wrote:
LongCarbine wrote:
Jim
That's mighty kind of you. With all this talk about dry fires, I'm going to get the Guardian Anti-Dry Fire mount. Another month or so I'll have enough Cabela points to get one. I'll pm you when I get it. Thanks, again[/quote

Sounds good .
Jim
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
mndoggie

Post by mndoggie »

strum wrote:

Im thinking you need to add some spacers to your stock..I had the same problem once..i found it wasn't that I needed to move the scope forward it was that I needed to move my shoulder and head back.
try this..just to see.. find you a 1" piece of Styrofoam.. cut it to fit your butt plate..don't worry about it it fitting well it's just for a test ..tape it on and shoot ..if you find your self fitting better then you need to order the Excalibur stock extender kit..hope this helps.
oh and just cause it your money im spending ,you need a cheek piece too :lol: :lol: to find out use a piece of 1" pipe insulation on the top of your stock ..a lot of us have done that..its a red neck cheek piece..works great
I needed more forward movement than 1" of spacers could provide.

Adding spacers to the buttstock pushes the center af gravity of the entire bow foreard.

Moving just the scope forward a few inches doesn't affect overall balance that much....

Cheek weld piice not needed, redneck verson or not..... :D