Matrix 380 brace height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hook'em

Matrix 380 brace height

Post by Hook'em »

I recently purchased the Matrix 380 Extra. I noticed that when my crossbow is uncocked the string sits hard against the REDS system. So hard it is leaving a dent. I removed my string and made sure there were no twist at all but when I place the string back on it is still resting very hard against the REDS.

I saw where some people posted that there should be a 1/8" spacing between the string and the REDS system. I am using the string that came with the crossbow and not an aftermarket string. What can I do to get that one 1/8" spacing if there is no twist at all in the string? I have shot the crossbow about 50 times so I thought it would have stretched and been broken in by now.

The crossbow is also considerable louder than my older Exocet crossbow so I wonder if it is because the string is slapping the REDS so hard?
Mike
paulaboutform

Re: Matrix 380 brace height

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi hook'em, welcome to the forum. Where did you get the idea your string should have NO twists? That is incorrect. You need twists and the gap from the string to the reds is more like 1/4". If you look at the seem where the bow meets the rail, the distance to the front of the string from there should be 3/4". I assume you have a stringing aid because you'll need it to set your proper brace height. I wouldn't shoot another arrow till you fix that.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hook'em

Post by Hook'em »

Thank you, Paul for the quick response. I have done everything I can think of to the string. I just took it off again and tried untwisting it completely, next I tried twisting the two ends in the opposite directions but the string still rest way to hard against the REDS.

I made sure the REDS were screwed all the way into the riser so they were not hanging out to far.

Anyone have any advice?

Mike
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Yes you need to twist the string up to make it shorter.

To do so, you need to twist only one end. Here's the easiest way; while one end/loop is still on the right limb tip, remove the left loop and twist it counter-clockwise (away from you) while you're standing behind the limbs/bow. Since you say the string is touching the REDS, you'll probably need to put at least 8 twists. If that isn't enough, twist it some more in the same direction until you get the proper brace height. If the gap between the REDS and string is too large untwist it a bit.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Downunder

Post by Downunder »

ComfyBear wrote:Yes you need to twist the string up to make it shorter.

To do so, you need to twist only one end. Here's the easiest way; while one end/loop is still on the right limb tip, remove the left loop and twist it counter-clockwise (away from you) while you're standing behind the limbs/bow. Since you say the string is touching the REDS, you'll probably need to put at least 8 twists. If that isn't enough, twist it some more in the same direction until you get the proper brace height. If the gap between the REDS and string is too large untwist it a bit.
I take that when you twist the string in this direction it also tends to keep the centre serving tight and as not to unravel it ? Please correct me if I am wrong !! :-)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I believe everyone here makes their strings twisted CCWise. That should be the case on the stock strings as well. That is by design to keep the center serving tight.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hook'em

Post by Hook'em »

Thank you guys for the great info. I was having a huge brain fart. I was thinking I needed to lengthen the string to get the space I needed for the brace height but it hit me this morning that I needed to shorten the string and pull the limbs in. All of your posts confirmed I was correct.

Thanks again for all of your help. I will twist the string tonight when I get home from work. So, just to clarify the string should be 1/4" away from the REDS and 3/4" away from where the riser meets the stock? That is a lot of string twists.

Mike
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I just use the bumpers as a gage on my 355. I set it 3/16 - 1/4 off the bumpers, that equals 7/8 from split on my bow.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Retro-Burn

Post by Retro-Burn »

This is true for my new 330. I purchased the REDS bumpers separately and the string rests against them. I will also need to put more twists in to get that gap. Thanks for the info!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

That's good advice from guys who know what they're talking about. Also keep in mind that as you shoot the bow the string may stretch some more, so you may need to add more twists to it later on. Rotate the rubber REDS pads fairly often so the string doesnt hit the same place all the time, they will last much longer. Good luck and happy shooting!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers