New to Crossbows looking for some advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Urbanite

Re: New to Crossbows looking for some advice

Post by Urbanite »

Antigonish, congrats on your new purchase. I too sent a PM for that Axiom which I really wanted. But I am glad you were able to pick it up as you seem ready to get started hunting. I wont buy a $500-600 synthetic rail crossbow. The SMF are off the table for me. I am sure the quality is there, is a personal choice. Will just keep looking around for what I want. My Budget is $1000, Including at least a dozen practice bolts so I do not feel very limited at this point.
Antigonish

Post by Antigonish »

Urbanite,

It sounds like you are after a thumb hole bow. I almost won the bid on a Aluminum rail Ibex with all the trimmings, it went for 600 on ebay.

There are two Vortex packages available on the trading post.

If I had the budget you have, I would find it hard not to buy a 330. It was my wish list bow. Still I am very happy to get the axiom.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Antigonish wrote:Urbanite,

It sounds like you are after a thumb hole bow. I almost won the bid on a Aluminum rail Ibex with all the trimmings, it went for 600 on ebay.

There are two Vortex packages available on the trading post.

If I had the budget you have, I would find it hard not to buy a 330. It was my wish list bow. Still I am very happy to get the axiom.
Glad to hear that your well on your way to some awesome hunting. Small game(ground hogs) hunting is what keeps me sane during the summer months till deer and bear season. If I may suggest, you should check out Saunders blunts for small game. I use the 145gr. Convex blunt and they kill instantly and humanely without passthroughs. Less chance of losing or breaking an arrow imho.
Happy shootin,
Hank
Antigonish

Post by Antigonish »

Hankenhunter,

Great tip on the same game broadhead. I will borrow that tip fir my own setup. Just waiting for my new to me axiom that will hopefully be shipped soon. Do you use aluminum or carbon shafts for small game? I have heard arguments for both. Antigonish.