Arrow pullers, targets, and the Mega 405

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Arrow pullers, targets, and the Mega 405

Post by Hi5 »

I've heard nothing but praise for Danny Miller pullers. I'm very close to buying one. Although they seem nicely cushioned with the plastic insert, there could be a lot of leverage applied when they close down on an arrow. Is there much risk of crushing an arrow shaft? I'm getting the Mega 405, and I'd expect the arrow to be tough extracting it from my target. I'm thinking that the harder the arrow is to pull out, the harder you have to squeeze. I don't want to be crushing some nice, custom arrows.

I suppose variations in arrow diameter could be some concern. Anything over width possibly would be at greater risk. That's not likely much of a concern since I'm getting good custom arrows.

I'm getting custom arrows and the maker has an excellent reputation here for quality. I admit, though, I've been wondering about inserts pulling out. I won't use my arrow puller any more, the kind that threads into the rear of an arrow. I've pulled out too many inserts.

What I am concerned about is shooting a broadhead into a target with my Mega 405 and having the insert pull out, leaving it and the broadhead behind, stuck in the target. Losing an arrow would be bad enough, but it would also ruin an expensive target. I have a new Xbow Brute that is waiting for me to make the first puncture mark, and I want to be using broadheads a lot when I practise.

Anybody have some wisdom to share about these concerns?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Excal1

Re: Arrow pullers, targets, and the Mega 405

Post by Excal1 »

I use the Danny Miller pullers with my 380 and 405 and have no problems at all. I have used them pulling arrows from 3D targets with no issues to the arrow itself. They are well worth the $$
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hey Excal1, how you like the 405?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

X2. I use them with my M380 for 3D and with my rhinoblock. I actually have two pairs in case I lose one. They will not damage your arrows unless you don't pull them straight out but torque them. If your arrows are prepped properly you shouldn't have any issues with losing points. If Big John is making your arrows you'll be fine. I shoot toxic broadheads which are tough to pull out as you're coring your target with every shot and I've had no issues with losing points. Good luck and keep us updated.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. That's good information.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

don't know for the 405 but worth it for the 380.
3D or whatever target you shooting at, doesn't matter how many lbs you shooting, it just make it so easy to pull them out.
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton