shooting sticks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

capefearhunter

shooting sticks

Post by capefearhunter »

Anyone found a shooting stick that works well with the Matrix ?
Matrix 355
Black Eagle Executioners
Wac Em Broadheads
Blackwater Taxidermy
xcaliber

Re: shooting sticks

Post by xcaliber »

I have a Hammer's Tripod set that I like a lot, and the Primos Trigger Stick that I take with the ground blind hunting sometimes. I set my scopes off the bench rest, but shoot mostly off hand lately because I hunt from tree stands mostly.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
capefearhunter

Post by capefearhunter »

This thing is an arrow splitter off the bench. I could definately out shoot myself with my compound vs crossbow free hand though.
Matrix 355
Black Eagle Executioners
Wac Em Broadheads
Blackwater Taxidermy
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Practice Daniel Son! :lol: Love that quote from Karate Kid! :lol: I can put 9 out 10 in the 3D deer heart at 50 yards off hand with the Vortex, and Matrix, but no way with the vertical, now at twenty yards, 10 for 10 with either! I own three Robin Hoods at 50 yards off hand with the Matrix! Not intentional however, just dumb luck! 8)
tammie

Post by tammie »

i always use a gorilla stick in my tree stands fits in my backpack well
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)
capefearhunter

Post by capefearhunter »

Im with ya on the practice Excaliber. Its my second day with it, and im impressed no doubt. Good shootin by the way. When your shootin freehand, do you wrap your elbow in a sling for some tension?
Matrix 355
Black Eagle Executioners
Wac Em Broadheads
Blackwater Taxidermy
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nope, both bows hold a little different though, mostly the length I'm guessing. One thing an old timer taught me early on about shooting free hand with rifles, and it carries over now to crossbows, is to relax your aim point a bit. Don't try to hold dead on at 50 yards, you will feel yourself start to make circles around your aim point, and it just gets harder to hold. Put your scope aiming point just a bit under the bulls eye, and as you come up slowly, squeeze off the shot just as easy as you can when you line up. Now this method requires practice, and I recommend starting this at ten yards. When you have it down good, go out to fifteen, and so on. Some people reach their maximum accuracy at thirty yards, and others go on. You just want to be able to land your shots consistently in maybe a 3" circle, that would be a kill shot, every shot!
Hope that works for you.
capefearhunter

Post by capefearhunter »

I will give that technique a try tomorrow. Excited to see how accurate i can get with this baby over the summer. Fall will be here before ya know it. Here in NC its bow only on Sundays, so one ends up bow hunting all season.
Matrix 355
Black Eagle Executioners
Wac Em Broadheads
Blackwater Taxidermy
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck, I'm sure you will amaze yourself! I hunt from stands about 20 - 25' up, and it is never a question weather, or not I'll make a clean kill shot at these distances, unless there is some obstruction in the firing path, I don't miss. I do use sticks in the ground blind though, I know being on the ground offers some tight holes to get arrows through sometimes, and an inch can ruin the shot real fast. Plus, I'm not standing in my normal shooting stance with my back straight, I'm sitting on a small chair.
I can't wait to read about the deer you harvest this fall! 8)
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

look at my ready shot fits in your backpack just saying ( in tradeing post)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As far as shooting sticks go, the best I've used are the Primos Trigger Stix. I have the bipod ones and the Jim Shockey Premier Edition tripod ones. I'm with Dan on the trigger stix....btw...that's some dang fine shootin Dan! :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
smitty0220

Post by smitty0220 »

Hi - Just bought my first crossbow (Axiom). Love it! Love the site and info!

Now to the topic at hand. I did a search, but found no info - does the Axiom need an adapter in order to attach shooting sticks? I can't find anything listed in previous forum stuff. After about 100 shots I am fairly certain that shooting sticks will be helpful. I'm just not sure about shooting offhand at this point.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to reading some of the interesting topics (and characters) around here.

Cheers
Smitty
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use non attached type. I have seen some tactical type attached, but I don't know the brand, or where to get them. I'm sure someone here is using them.
Big D

Post by Big D »

If you hunt out of a turkey blind I love the system by Bogpod it attaches to your tripod and is perfect for x-bows. It is called the PSR and I have usedit for handgun hunting also. When hunting out of a blind I could not think of a better combo than the bogpod and psr. Here is a link http://www.boggear.com/accessories/psr.html

Big D