Broadhead options for stock Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jc1

Broadhead options for stock Axiom

Post by Jc1 »

I was hoping to look at the boltcutter broadheads in person, but the Bass Pro Shop I go to doesn't have them, or any 150 grain broadheads for that matter. Not sure if it is just because of the season or what. I'll probably order some bolt cutters online
I bought my Axiom at the end of last season and haven't shot at any deer with it yet.
I actually have used the same broadheads on my last 2 crossbows since 1984! They are some kind of Wasp 3 blades. I used them with my first crossbow, which was a PSE Foxfire, and then with a Horton Yukon. When I bought the broadheads, I had bought extra blades and a few extra inserts and I've always cleaned them up and filed them down and kept them sharp. Some have been through no telling how many deer. A few years ago, I got to watching too many TV. shows telling me I needed to use something else and tried some other brands. Lost 2 deer on nice shots with a clean pass through and hardly any blood trail and went back to my old broadheads.
I would use these with my Axiom, but I have no idea what grain they are? I even have the original packaging but it doesn't state the weight. And my foxfire and Yukon probably shoot quite a bit slower than my Axiom.
Do people get the best flight out of the 150 grain bolt cutters? What are your experiences with different weights with the axiom?
Thanks
nchunterkw

Re: Broadhead options for stock Axiom

Post by nchunterkw »

BHs are a personal choice. You should be able to get great flight with any quality made BH. If you want to go with a fixed blade, Boltcutters are a good choice, as are Slick Tricks, Montecs, Magnus Stingers and a whole host of others. But remember that good fixed BH flight starts with a very good arrow. If you give us a little more info on your arrows etc., many on here can provide you with great recommendations to get setup with some good flying arrows. Are you shooting:
carbon or aluminum
Al or brass inserts
Flat or moon nocks
What kind of fletching

The more we know the more we can help.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Jc1

Post by Jc1 »

Right now, I'm shooting the bolts and field points that came with the package, I think they are called Firebolts? I'm sticking with the bolts and will probably get some bolt cutter broadheads. I just haven't come across any in person yet to buy them and was holding off on ordering any online.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Bolt cutters are probably pretty good but I've had great success with Slick Tricks
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use NAP Thunderheads with my Vortex, good flight. My buddy uses the Slick Trick Vapor Tricks, nasty mean on game, fly nice! It is a personal choice, and the one that hits where you aim will work the best! nchunterkw is right, and you will hear it again here I'm sure. Good arrows is the place to start. If you like the Firebolts, get a few more, and practice.

Good luck,
hope you get a nice deer this year.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

With my Axiom and bolt cutter broad heads I have killed 2 deer, both never went more then 10 yards.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
Waif

Post by Waif »

If you get the chance weigh one of your three blades. A sport shop or jeweler if you don,t find a scale that weighs in grains.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

Get yourself some Slick Trick Magnums and you won't have any reason to look back. Best broadhead out there in my opinion.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Firebolts weigh 265gr. Adding a 150gr BH (like a Boltcutter) will give you a relatively high FOC and an overall weight of about 415gr - which is a nice weight for deer. The Axiom is rated at 305fps with a 350gr arrow, and FFF string. A FFF string gives you about 10more fps than a standard string, and a good rule of thumb is to subtract 1 fps for every 5 gr above 350.

So given that arrow setup you will be at about 282fps with a standard string and 292fps with a FFF string.

My personal choice would be a 150gr Slick Trick Xbow Trick, but you could go down as far as a 100gr BH and OK. Just my opinion, but Slick Trick blades are STUPID sharp and very tough.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
rockyhollowhunter

Post by rockyhollowhunter »

Jc1 , im thinkin those Wasp may weigh 130gr.i used the camloks ffor years, im now using the Wasp Drone inmy Axiom with GT 3pros
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You need a scale, they are cheap on Ebay. In the mean while, take a wood yard stick and shove two straight pins in at 1" and 35". Tie thread to the pins and hang a baggie on each.

Next, lightly stick a pin on the opposite edge at 18". Check the balance, move 18" pin til it hangs level.

Put your suspect bhead in one baggie and add weights to the other. A US nickel is 5 grams, dollar bill one gram. There's 15.34 gr in a gram.

After a few uses Ebay looks better, lol. Danny Miller sells the Boltcutters, and a bunch of other goodies, call him at [740] 483-2312.
Last edited by awshucks on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Eze 18:21"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Awshucks, that is brilliant! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! :lol: :lol:
That will sure get you out of a puckersnatch! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

125gr Slick Trick Mag is what I've settled on. They fly good from my M380 and my Aluminum rail Ibex.