Decent binoculars

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dabluz

Decent binoculars

Post by dabluz »

I need a decent pair of compact binoculars for hunting. However, for less than 100 dollars. What do you recommend?

I was thinking that 8X would be about right.

Of course.....there are fewer choices here in Canada but I'm stuck here in N. Quebec. Here the only choices I have are 20 dollar binoculars or 200 dollar binoculars.
Vortex
DryFire

Re: Decent binoculars

Post by DryFire »

I'm a diehard Leupold optics guy, but chose Vortex for my binoculars. The Vortex Raptors offer a great value for your dollar (or Loonie). I was impressed with their clarity and lifetime warranty. I ended up with one of the HD models, but the Raptor is pretty hard to beat.

Do a search on : Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 Binocular

Typical review: http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Rap ... B002JRRER4

Shop around and you will find them close to your price point. Good Luck!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

In binoculars, like all optics, the higher the magnification the better the glass needs to be. You can get by pretty well with a lower priced pair of 8X but a lower priced pair at 12x may make you sea sick. :lol: Porro prism binocs are priced less than the roof prism ones and are fine binocs, just somewhat larger and heavier. I have had very good luck with Sightron optics ( binocs and scopes).I feel they are a very good value for their cost. Online you can get a set of Sightron SII porro prism 8x's for less than $100. I know they arent Leupolds, but they are a pretty good bang for your buck.I hunt with a pair of 8x42's most of the time, and have for several years.I am a "Leupold Guy" but these binocs havent let me down.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I bought a pair of Redfield Rebel 8x42 binoculars last year, and I really, really like them. Fully multicoated lenses for clear, crisp images, very good in low light. Large center wheel for easy and quick adjustments, and twist-up rubber eye cups are nice if you wear glasses. The right eyepiece has the adjustable diopter. They're made of aluminum and have a rubber armor coating and they feel really rugged and tough. They are a little heavy though, but feel really solid. Amazon has them for $118.99 and free ship, not sure if that would apply to shipping to Canada though. I compared them side by side with Leupold Acadia and could't tell a difference, and the Redfield's are just a little more than 1/2 the price of the Acadia. I've been really pleased with them.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Take a gander on Optics Planet. Lot's of options, great prices and exceptional service...free shipping.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

Cossack wrote:Take a gander on Optics Planet. Lot's of options, great prices and exceptional service...free shipping.
Optics Planet....no free shipping to Canada. Shipping prices are also high.
Vortex
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

I was hoping to find compact binoculars but when you get down to it, regular sized binoculars are not that much larger or heavier and for one thing sure, they are a lot clearer which is ideal for hunting situations. Here in Quebec, the woods are dark, moose are dark and it's often very early morning or late afternoon when many animals move.....especially bears (which I plan to hunt too).
Vortex
Normous

Post by Normous »

Beware of the high cost of the lowest priced binocular.
PM sent.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one eye joe

Post by one eye joe »

I am using Theron 8x32 binocular sold by Predator optics. He is pretty much a one man shop, so might work with you on shipping to Canada. Might be worth a call or email to see. The binocs were $155 last time I looked. Smaller and lighter than full size - I like them.
Ibex (The Terrible)
Dan's (xcalibur) strings
DCA arrows
Swacker broadheads
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

for 100$ get the leupold yosemites.8x30 i have some fancier glass and these come on my hunts most times. liked them so much i picked up the 6x30-s also.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Ahh Chicoutimi !!! Been there often , the saguenay area is beautiful , I've Salmon fished that area a few times .
Well back to binos , also agree with Vortex ! Very nice and clear .
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Normous wrote:Beware of the high cost of the lowest priced binocular.
PM sent.
X2 what Norm said
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

Another vote for the leupold yosemites. Love mine and they go everywhere with me during every season.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I don't know if your Walmart close to you has Nikons or not but I bought my 10x50's here for $90.00. I started out at smaller ones but decided I like these better.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

The cheapest Vortex binoculars (8x32) I could find in my area were over 220 dollars plus 15% sales tax.

I did find some Simmons 8x42 binoculars for 80 dollars and a 30 dollar rebate but there is not much info on the internet about these binoculars.

So far.....no Leupolds available in my region......yet.

I know that anything will beat the Bushnell 8X21 binoculars for under 10 dollars and that is what I have now...lol. Everything I have seen so far has been brighter and clearer. I also have some old Bushnell 7x35 that cost about 30 dollars about 30 years ago but they are definitely not as bright or clear as the Tasco binoculars at 80 dollars that I tried out one time when I could compare the 2 binoculars while at the beach long ago.

Yes....10 X 50 would be great but they are huge. I'm not sure that I would like to use binoculars so large. Even 8 X 42 seem too large.

I haven't run across any 8 X 32 or 8 X 36 binoculars.....if such a thing exists.

The more I think about it, the Simmons 8 X 42 for 80 dollars seem to be the best deal so far but there is no info about Simmons quality on the internet.

Anyway....I'm still going to do some shopping. I hope to visit other towns and maybe some cities in Ontario this coming summer.
Vortex