Who Uses A Ghille Suit?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

StormDragon

Who Uses A Ghille Suit?

Post by StormDragon »

If all goes right, im looking fwd to trying my newish Ghille suit out this fall bow season. Im still adding burlap and stuff plus rattle canning it too but I think/hope ile be done by then and practice shooring etc in it too.

Who else uses one and if possiblw could you post pics of it and your hunting method using it?

Thanks in advance
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
bob watkins

Re: Who Uses A Ghille Suit?

Post by bob watkins »

i started useing them a couple years ago . shot a couple of deer off the ground natural blinds i use a big game swivel seat . shot a bear off the ground like that also ,most fun i have hunting in a long time. i hunted trees all my life going to the ground was a big challange for me its a blast good luck
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I have a hardwoods ghillie suit for hunting the maple and beech forest that is prevalent in some of the areas I hunt. I took 3 deer last year on walk and stalk hunts using it.

I walk very slowly and quietly through the bush stopping often to scan for sign, movement and to listen. Playing the wind is of the utmost importance when using this method. If I am uncertain about wind direction I actually light up a cigar and watch the smoke curling off the end of the stogie for few minutes. In all three cases last year the deer were taken off of an active scrape line or an active rub line.

I wear a dairy farmers stool that is designed to be strapped to your rear end. This lets me sit down at any time with minimal noise and without using my hands.

I do not have photos of the suit or stool as it never occurred to me that someone would be interested in looking at them.

This is a little 8 pointer taken this way last fall. Taken with my 380 from +/- 25 yards - no blind, no stand.

This is a 6 pointer taken this way last fall. Same deal as above except range was 38 yards.

And finally a 7 pointer taken last fall with a .270 from 55 yards.

For each of those deer I probably got busted 5 times before filling a tag - so it takes patience and time in order to fill your tags this way
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I use one occasionally, had a young buck within 5 yards... on the ground. Knew it was working when a squirrel jumped onto my lap.
Attachments
IMG_20110813_151413.jpg
IMG_20110813_151413.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I use one slow and easy is the key And a few branches in front of you to breakup your movement They still know that a bush is not supposed to move Its like anything else the more you use it the better you get at using it
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Cossack wrote:I use one occasionally, had a young buck within 5 yards... on the ground. Knew it was working when a squirrel jumped onto my lap.
This is the same one I have Early season its pretty hot
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Mine is the same as Cossacks except maybe a little lighter. It can't be beat for walk and stalk. The only downside is the amount of twigs, seeds, and burrs the string gillies pick up during a stalk.
Happy sneakin, :D
Hank
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use one occasionally, mostly for predator hunting. It is hot and picks up so much Forest junk.
It is a great form of camo, if the environment permits. This is my 7 year old daughter in mine.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have worn "Leafy Wear" for many many years and always make some sort of natural blind to sit behind (pile up some sticks, or cut a few branches and poke then into the ground, or better yet sit in a blowdown) . Have taken many deer like that and only 2 over 30 yds, the rest were 25 or less. It's areal rush and for me the best way to go. I also use a small folding stool. This year I bought one similar to what Cossak has, because I have a new , small area to hunt and they busted me in there last year. It will work great.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated!

Hopefully in the next day or two I will be to post a few work in progress pics of mine and what im doing to it.And as it stands now, Im gonna need more burlap the way things keep going
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I use mine as an ultra portable blind. Carry it to the 'stand' site in the pouch it comes in, put it on. Don't notice the heat that way and can move in a hurry to anew site.
Incurable tinkerer.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Cossack wrote:I use mine as an ultra portable blind. Carry it to the 'stand' site in the pouch it comes in, put it on. Don't notice the heat that way and can move in a hurry to anew site.
Same procedure Cossak but it is still a hot early season sit Exspecially with the wheather of the last couple years
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Cossack wrote:I use mine as an ultra portable blind. Carry it to the 'stand' site in the pouch it comes in, put it on. Don't notice the heat that way and can move in a hurry to anew site.
X2
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

JPjunkie wrote:
Same procedure Cossak but it is still a hot early season sit Exspecially with the wheather of the last couple years
Obviously you're not from Minnesnowta, eh?>
Incurable tinkerer.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Cossack wrote:
JPjunkie wrote:
Obviously you're not from Minnesnowta, eh?>
No Sir :D