what happens when

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

what happens when

Post by W.Miguire »

what happens if your string is to short by 1/4 inch it's 1/2 " from the stops? . hopen it will stretch. shot it a dozen times or so :(
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: what happens when

Post by Hunt it »

No worry, many of the factory strings seem a tad short. They will stretch some after shooting them. As long as it's shooting well you have no worry.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

From the end ,Twist it clockwise 2 to 4 twist . Or just shoot it like your doing and it'll stretch in before long . The only other thing you might do to hurry it along is cock it and leave it for several hours .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Make sure you have 2-3 twists in string. Then shoot it in, every shot you shoot it will elongate a touch til it settles
Last edited by vixenmaster on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

Do not twist the string to lower the brace height. A new string takes time as well as shooting to stop creeping.
Have some patience. If it's a new string and it will creep a whole lot more than 1/2" of brace height. If it's a Flemish string, the amount of creep boggles the mind. An endless loop string still creep a whole lot.
Help could be a whole lot more accurate if you stated what bow and what string as well as a picture of the whole string. Some strings with no twists in it will have 1/2" brace height or more and twisting it clockwise will ruin the string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

the first string that I made was 32" for my 355 it stretched so much I had to twist it till it looked like a piece of hemp . so the next one I made a 1/2 " shorter. and it ain't stretchen I used that D97 that you sent me .
if the string is to far from the stops what do you think it will do to the limbs?
p/s endless string. maybe I got the length wrong, I got 32" :?:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Depending on the number of twists and number of strands you have in the string, you'll likely be right on after 50 shots or so.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

so far no twist and 30 strands . will shoot it for a while and keep a eye on it will let you know.
Bill
Boo

Post by Boo »

W.Miguire wrote:so far no twist and 30 strands . will shoot it for a while and keep a eye on it will let you know.
Bill
I assume you did not turn your string clockwise. If you have no twists your string is too short. A fresh, endless loop string made from D97 will not creep enough to give you a good combination of braceheight and a good number of twists when settled.
However, the string is made so go give it a few counterclockwise twists (to help keep the serving together) and shoot it and see what happens. Nothing truly bad will happen from this point.
Glad to see you're having fun!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

after 15 shots blu. the center serving . back to the drawing board. will make another and keep you posted. thanks Don
Bill
Boo

Post by Boo »

Without enough counter clockwise twists the serving will come undone. Try adding another CM to the length. You want 10 to 12 twists in an endless loop string when it's settled in and 4 or 5 twists minimum when first installed. Also try twisting your string a couple of turns clockwise before serving if you think the string may be a bit short.
I assume you are serving overhand?
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

I think... not sure but *think*... when I wax my strings really good they creep more, or at least creep faster. If you end up with another one too short maybe give that a try?

~E
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

thanks Don. solved the problem made a longer string 31 3/4 works good got about 5 twist in it. 1/4 "to the bumpers think I got the serving to wide will take care of that tonight. took about 30 shots and just a small amount of stretch. the other one I made was not going to stretch that far. thanks for all your help you folks are a lot of help.
Bill