How often you guys practice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

johnnyo

How often you guys practice

Post by johnnyo »

Not new to archery, but new to the world of high tech crossbows. Purchased a Matrix 330 back in June... love it. When I shot compound I loved practicing. Just curious how often most people shoot. For me, about every other day, on average. Our season starts Oct. 1.
Matrix 330
Diablo arrows
Boltcutter broadheads
kmaxwell5

Re: How often you guys practice

Post by kmaxwell5 »

I try and shoot once every month but I have kids and a wife that keep me pretty busy. So some times I do not get to shoot like I want to.
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

Now that deer season is just around the corner I try to get out every weekend at least once. My biggest problem is finding a place to practice/shoot.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....wish I could practice every day...the truth of the matter with the state range about a 65 mile drive one way it turns out to be 4 or 5 times before the season and only again during if something goes amiss.

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

When its hot like this i try 2 or 3 early mornings a week. When its cooler outside every other day
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cevans

Post by cevans »

I shoot about 3-4 times a week. For the past month, been swapping out bow strings, cutting arrows down as short as possible, and everytime I change something have to re-site in. Takes about 8 shots or so at 20 then about the same back at 40 all on sand bags, then shooting a few after that offhand. I prefer the offhand practicing walking around the yard or moving the target around up and down my hilly yard surrounded by woods the target is sometimes so shaded you can hardly see the bulleyes. Good stalking practice as I even will put the target in the trees and brush for brushy shots too. Been out shooting today as a matter of fact. Shoot when you can as you can never get enough practice.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
canoetrpr

Post by canoetrpr »

Really sad truth is many hunters barely practice at all, with bows or firearms, before their hunt.

I'm mostly into firearms but bought a crossbow to extend the hunting season as in my back 40 I can hunt deer from Oct on with a bow and only two weeks of the year with a shotgun.

Had my buddies up last weekend and we practiced from my stand on a decoy at standard shooting distances from my stand.

I expect we will go out once or twice more before the season to my stand and practice some more to ensure we are confident at the ranges we plan to shoot. I'm sure this seems trivial compared to reading some other responses here of folks shooting 3-4 times a week!

If I had a compound bow instead of a cross bow, I'd be practicing MUCH more. My Matrix 380 is just a joy to shoot and so easy to get right on target.
johnnyo

Post by johnnyo »

I guess I'm fortunate to have a large enough parcel of land to shoot... both bow and rifle. Suppose it would be different if I had to travel to a range!
Matrix 330
Diablo arrows
Boltcutter broadheads
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Seasonal shooter here, shoot enough to make sure the bow and the shooter is sound. Just have to do my homework in the field and be in the right place at the right time..it will be here soon. Hunt smart, hunt safe!!!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

its not really practicing, but more like shooting for fun as good as you can and as often as you can :mrgreen:
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

try to shoot every day 20 to25 shots ,1week @20 one @ 30 don't take shots pass 30. and if it rains I stay in and p keep MaMa happy.
good luck to all of you this season...W.M. :D :D :D
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I own less than an acre and have neighbors on all sides, and I shoot every day usually from June 1- Oct 1. Something about June 1st just gets me thinking about getting out again. I place my target in front of my own garage in the case of an accident, and in the last 10 years, I've never once stuck an arrow into the garage door. I shoot back to 65 yards because that's how long my driveway is. I'd go further if there were access. BTW, I'm shooting a Matrix 380 and a Mathews Conquest. I don't consider it practice at all though. I consider it more play time.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

A few arrows every day with the vertical, and as often as possible with the Excals. I only have to go about 2 miles to the in laws house, and I can set up to 60 yards.
Good luck all!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
johnnyo

Post by johnnyo »

You guys are right... to much fun to be called practice :D
Matrix 330
Diablo arrows
Boltcutter broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You knowed when i don't have any trees that jump on me i get 1500-2500 shots in yearly. I wear out a few strings in the process. Its fun jus slip out the cabin door wid a cup of coffee n start shootin my targets. :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315