Broken ADF

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JUDGE

Broken ADF

Post by JUDGE »

I was doing a trigger polish today, as soon as I finished I put my glasses on and noticed a thin wire hanging down from my ADF.
Then I noticed the latch did not go down anymore.
I tried to undo the hex bolts but they are not coming off , at least not with my allen wrenches.
Will have to call Excalibur in the morning .
Sure don't want to have to send the bow in , but I just might have to.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
NEPAbowhunter

Re: Broken ADF

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

That sucks Judge. If I remember correctly, I believe that wire that is sticking down is actually the spring that keeps tension on the lever that actually catches the string during a dry fire. The T plunger above your safety switch when pushed in will move it up into the mount if it is working properly. Without being able to take the mount off and place the spring into its proper position you may be dead in the water. A lot of people have had problems getting their scope mount off. I am sure Excalibur will take care of you. Good Luck!
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
hard2draw

Post by hard2draw »

An old mechanics trick is to heat up an allen key with a torch or flame then insert it into the stuck fastener to heat it enough to soften up the locktite
Keep in mind that the allen key will likely loose its hardness and be junk after this
Might just be a matter of putting the spring back in its proper position to repair
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Heat is the most effective way to loosen a part that has been treated with loctite and won't come apart.

I've used a small butane torch meant for soldering to apply heat to the head of the fastener. If its still stubborn then after a heat treatment an impact blow my help. When I do that I use a Allen key socket to hammer on, although if the Allen is partially stripped then a tap on the head of the fastner sometimes can help the key grip better.

Loctite, small screws with Allen keys are a real pita!
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Removing the small screws that hold on the scope mount are sometimes difficult. Heat is a good suggestion plus make sure you have a tight fitting Allen wrench (3/32). If all else fails, you can try and slot the screws with a dremel tool and get them out that way but you shouldn't have to. If the screws get damaged the size is 8/32 x 5/16" for replacements. If you can't find them locally give us a call.

Your ADF may have a faulty spring, we can get you the replacement if you are comfortable installing it.

Peter
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Thanks Peter, I have a call in to Don Douglas .
I will ask her to send me a new spring and try to install it. If all else fails I will bring it in to General Gun and have them install it.
Thanks again.

MICRO 355
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Sounds like you just about hooked up! :)
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Well I decided not to mail the ADF in for repair , so I drove it to Excalibur and got it repaired . In and out in 10 minutes.
Three weeks to deer season did not want it to get lost in the mail.
Thanks to all at Excalibur.

MICRO 355
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
turbo

Post by turbo »

That service is not surprising,all you hear is good reports on their service, :) I think that is part of the price when you buy Excalibur
LIVING THE DREAM