Need input on arras

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hotdog

Re: Need input on arras

Post by hotdog »

I would check out Wyvern Creations also. He makes custom arrows for the Matrix bows. I had him make me 1/2 dozen 20" b.e.e. 0001" with 2" Blazer vanes with alumnium nocks and incerts. The reason I went with alumnium is because i shoot 175 gr. Slick Trick broad heads,and he suggested alumnium instead of brass to help arrow wieght. They shoot great out of my Matrix 380, and he charged me $56 shipped for them. I thought that was a good price unless someone knows of a cheaper place to buy them. You can email Dave and he responds fast.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Ok so let's see if I understand this. Wervyn offers half dozen B.E executioners for $56 which you agree is a "spectacular offering". Big John sells the same thing but adds luminocks to each one for an additional $10 /arrow (which btw is at or below cost on those) and the arrows come to around $120. It is early in the morning but that looks to be less than $1 per arrow difference.

If you want to talk zombies they are a more expensive but I have seen John offer those for the same $120. Unfortunately John and his family are going through some very tough times at the moment and he has had to temporarily suspend his arrow production.

Personally I think a couple extra bucks for custom crafted arrows is worth every penny. I did not buy an Excalibur bow just to cut corners on such a crucial piece of the puzzle.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

South shore Archery and Black Eagle Arrows are hard to beat !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
strum

Post by strum »

To summarize ,,BrotherRon

We all have arrow maker picks..
its all in what your going for. there is nothing wrong with the stock diablos
or firebolts for that matter..
and all these arrows recommended will do the job toot sweet ..
a volks wagon (production car) will get you down the road just fine but if Bentley (hand crafted top of the line made to order) is you taste, then its Big John
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

strum wrote:To summarize ,,BrotherRon

We all have arrow maker picks..
its all in what your going for. there is nothing wrong with the stock diablos
or firebolts for that matter..
and all these arrows recommended will do the job toot sweet ..
a volks wagon (production car) will get you down the road just fine but if Bentley (hand crafted top of the line made to order) is you taste, then its Big John
...Very well said Strum...couldn't agree more...I also have begun making my own arrows..there is a distinct difference between what the Master Craftsman Big John created and what I have created :roll: :roll: :roll: (but I am learning and it is fun, having two other boys so its a family thing)....

...also and equally as important....I save no money in terms of what it costs me to make my own than what BJ charges... delivered with Lumenoks...

...in fact I keep one of BJ's as a quality control arrow for what I must strive for.... :shock:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

...Very well said Strum...couldn't agree more...I also have begun making my own arrows..there is a distinct difference between what the Master Craftsman Big John created and what I have created :roll: :roll: :roll: (but I am learning and it is fun, having two other boys so its a family thing)....

...also and equally as important....I save no money in terms of what it costs me to make my own than what BJ charges... delivered with Lumenoks...

...in fact I keep one of BJ's as a quality control arrow for what I must strive for.... :shock:

Anthony :)
Well said also, Anthony. I just started making my own also using Big John's as a benchmark to aim for. I'm nowhere close but I didn't expect to be. But it's fun and we learn as we go.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I've been building my own for years and the arrows I see of Big Johns are First Class ! He turns them into art ! Great craftsman !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

8ptbuk wrote:I've been building my own for years and the arrows I see of Big Johns are First Class ! He turns them into art ! Great craftsman !
Have not seen a Big John arrow. Sounds like they should be placed on a mantel...after they are painted RED that is :wink: :wink:
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
strum

Post by strum »

Swamp Donky wrote:I think BR probly got the answer to his original post! Happy "Splinter" :arrow: hunting... :wink:
maybe we aint done giving him advise :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
hotdog

Post by hotdog »

Guys I don't want anyone to think I was putting down Big Johns arrows. I had just seen the post that he wouldn't be making any for a while,and that's why I suggested Wyverns Creations. I've seen the arrows that John makes,and they look great, and I'll probably order some from him when he gets started back making them.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I make my own arrows and I often wonder how Big John does it. With all the time and money I spend to get what I want I would be better off to get him to make mine, But,Its a love and joy and gives me something to do, So to think your not getting a good price from him is crazy..pure crazy....stupid crazy.

If your just going to hunt then shoot the stock arrows and if its 3D or distance shooting get big Johns arrows when he is making them again.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You two make a very nice couple Swamp, I would post some pics. but that would lead to disaster.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It is not always easy! We have been married for 32 years, going on 33! We have had some tough times too. My wife's brother was murdered by his wife's X- husband, and that nearly caused my wife to miscarry our youngest daughter. I can't even get into the stuff I put my family through when I was young, and dumb. Hope you two have many years together, and work out the kinks. Love can sure heal things, and make hard times seem not so bad!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I like making arrows, it is very relaxing to me. I think the Black Eagles are the best around, and I'm partial to the Zombie Slayers, use them on both XBows, and the PSE Brute too.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Greatly appreciated.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: