Small changes = big difference in shot placement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ijb

Small changes = big difference in shot placement

Post by ijb »

I'm new to crossbows, having owned my M380 for only a few months. I have been practicing target shooting in my side yard. I use a Bulldog Double Dog with two standard bulls eye targets (the type with 5 total bulls eyes) tacked on side by side. This set up is very convenient as I can shoot 10 arrows, one at each bulls eye, without fear of damaging one arrow with another.

I measured out 20 yards and have been practicing shooting off a tripod for many weeks. I sighted in my scope early in this process and with some small adjustments it was very accurate. As long as I remember to hold steady and squeeze the trigger I can usually hit 7 or 8 in the center ring with any misses in the second ring.

Today I had to alter my shooting area due to some construction work on my driveway. I was still shooting from 20 yards, but I was standing on a slight down hill. Thus I was shooting from between 1 and 2 feet lower than normal. I did not alter my scope settings. The results really surprised me. My shots were consistently 1" to 2" low. I really did not expect this relatively small change of shooting position and angle to make such a difference at 20 yards. I did check the scope and all mounting hardware is fully tight.

I will once again sight in the scope. After that I will experiment further with different shooting angles and positions to get a better feel for how this will affect the actual POI.

Meanwhile I am curious if others have had similar experiences.
Matrix 380
Trigger Tech 2.5# 2 stage trigger
Redfield Revenge scope
C2 crank
racking up points

Re: Small changes = big difference in shot placement

Post by racking up points »

A 1-2ft downhill slope should not affect POI as drastically as you found. I'd check brace height...my guess is your string has stretched from all your practicing.
Last edited by racking up points on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
William Biggs

Post by William Biggs »

I've experienced the similar results. I shoot at 40yrs standing then laying down and there was a significant difference in drop. I was very surprised and now practice shooting out of my tree stand.
#teamMatrix
Nikon Bolt w/ AR rings
Danny Miller stops
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

William Biggs wrote:I've experienced the similar results. I shoot at 40yrs standing then laying down and there was a significant difference in drop. I was very surprised and now practice shooting out of my tree stand.
This probably has more to do with how your shooting posture changes when laying down. Your eye must not be lined up with the scope the same way as it did when you sighted in.

Let's assume that the 1-2ft downhill slope does affect accuracy, say by as much as 2" at 20y like the OP stated. That's like saying if my rhinehart 18-1 is laying on the ground, or if it's on a 4ft pedestal my POI would change. I can tell you with certainty that this does not affect POI for me. Whether my target is on flat ground, below my feet or at eye level on a pedestal, my POI is identical.

That being said, it's always a good idea to practice from a treestand or a hillside.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

racking up points wrote:
William Biggs wrote:I've experienced the similar results. I shoot at 40yrs standing then laying down and there was a significant difference in drop. I was very surprised and now practice shooting out of my tree stand.
This probably has more to do with how your shooting posture changes when laying down. Your eye must not be lined up with the scope the same way as it did when you sighted in.

Let's assume that the 1-2ft downhill slope does affect accuracy, say by as much as 2" at 20y like the OP stated. That's like saying if my rhinehart 18-1 is laying on the ground, or if it's on a 4ft pedestal my POI would change. I can tell you with certainty that this does not affect POI for me. Whether my target is on flat ground, below my feet or at eye level on a pedestal, my POI is identical.

That being said, it's always a good idea to practice from a treestand or a hillside.
I would agree. I have some homemade bag targets that are over 24" tall, POI is the same whether I'm shooting the top of the target or the bottom, and I also put my Rinehart on the ground sometimes and other times I'll put it on top of a big styrofoam block, and it doesn't change. I also occasionally shoot off my back porch which is about 3 feet above the ground, POI doesn't change. As fast and flat as the 380 shoots it takes a fairly large change in elevation to affect POI, or at least that has been my experience.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
ijb

Post by ijb »

racking up points wrote:A 1-2ft downhill slope should not affect POI as drastically as you found. I'd check brace height...my guess is your string has stretched from all your practicing.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I check and adjust my brace height all the time. When shooting yesterday, the string was at least 1/4" off the bumpers. It was the same 2 days ago when I was shooting from my normal spot with my more accurate results.
Matrix 380
Trigger Tech 2.5# 2 stage trigger
Redfield Revenge scope
C2 crank
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I recommend shooting at the smallest spots you can see comfortably thru the the scope . Seems the bigger the spots the bigger the groups . The old saying " Aim Small Hit Small " is very true !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

racking up points wrote: This probably has more to do with how your shooting posture changes when laying down. Your eye must not be lined up with the scope the same way as it did when you sighted in.
I'll agree on this one. Pivot at the hips and keep your upper torso the same as when you shoot erect. Otherwise, your bow will contact a different part of your shoulder, elbow position will change, cheek weld will change etc. All will contribute to what will likely end up being a different POI.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

X3...er...uhhX4. Poi will not be affected at all as you have described. There are many things that can affect poi that most of us wouldn't even think of. Lighting can be huge. I believe you're not seeing the same sight picture with the small change you've described. Good luck playing. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.