Good Reading on 2014 Rut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cevans

Good Reading on 2014 Rut

Post by cevans »

http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/05/12/2014- ... ng-frenzy/

Thought I would post this for everybody to read up on. Post your own opinion as to what you think. Seems its going to be a better year watching the bucks than last year, but I didn't have any complaints about chasing big racks last year myself. What I am still seeing right now, is lots of fawns with spots on them and super small. Means that mamma got bred way way late as much as March even as small as some of the fawns are right now with the spots. A does gestation period is 200-205 days so figure. Enjoy the read and good luck this year.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
JPjunkie

Re: Good Reading on 2014 Rut

Post by JPjunkie »

In our neck of the woods in Northwest Indiana you better be in the woods first week of November its gonna be early :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pretty interesting reading. It's been a long time, but back in my forestry days, we were taught that the photo period and moon phases instigated the rut.
One thing we did not talk about is the temperature swings (unseasonably high temperatures). As a hunter, I've taken note that when we have repetitive days of high temperatures, I see notably less or no bucks seeking or chasing. What was explained to me by a wildlife biologist is that as the days of fall wear on, deer put on fat and build up hair for insulation. This insulation during unseasonably high temperatures stresses the deer so their activities are often limited to evenings.
Anyone else see this?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Boo wrote:Pretty interesting reading. It's been a long time, but back in my forestry days, we were taught that the photo period and moon phases instigated the rut.
One thing we did not talk about is the temperature swings (unseasonably high temperatures). As a hunter, I've taken note that when we have repetitive days of high temperatures, I see notably less or no bucks seeking or chasing. What was explained to me by a wildlife biologist is that as the days of fall wear on, deer put on fat and build up hair for insulation. This insulation during unseasonably high temperatures stresses the deer so their activities are often limited to evenings.
Anyone else see this?
That's what it is the rut is done at night in warm temps and we don't observe it so we think its not time or a weak Rut When inturn there just shy and don't want the lights on :lol: :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boo wrote:Pretty interesting reading. It's been a long time, but back in my forestry days, we were taught that the photo period and moon phases instigated the rut.
Anyone else see this?
Yes, warm weather puts a damper on the rut from what I have seen. Watch out for the morning after a cold front. Bam, it can change that quick. :D
cevans

Post by cevans »

Couple of weeks ago was getting 50-75 pics every 4-5 days on trail cams in the below normal weather as it was low to mid 40's at nite, and no more than low 70's during the day. Now averaging about 12 pics same time frame as the weather is hot, upper 80's,and nights are back to mid 60's. Deer have way way slowed down their movement. Cold front coming in this Friday and going to hang a around a few days in the forcast. Deer will move like heck. Boo,,,I have seen the rut totally slow down and go totally nocturnal when it gets hot right after the Rutting Moon in Nov,,same if we have a warm Dec. Last year it was totally strung out to where everybody I know,,was guessing as to what was going on and the big bucks where hard to near impossible to pattern. As a matter of fact, no super bucks around me for miles was killed last year and are still around to hunt this year as I have seen about 7 of them so far. Going to be a great year to chase them if the weather cooperates. As for Indiana,,we bow hunters have the better times to hunt as our Gun season doesn't start till Nov. 15th this year. Hope that article is accurate to some extent.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I prefer that last week before the rut, or "lock down" myself. When the bucks are posturing, and looking for the first hot doe of the season, they are fun to hunt!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Anyone else see this?
Definitely, a pattern I've noticed. The way I see it, I wouldn't want to run around in my winter jacket and it's the same for the deer. A cold snap can be all it takes to get them kick started though. I like to hunt in the rain when it's unseasonably warm. A lot of hunters will stay in because it's warm and raining but bucks will be on the move especially if they've been hunkered down a few days.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Waif

Post by Waif »

Hmm. Must have hit wrong button on earlier post.
Last week of Oct. through first week of Nov. usually prime buck movement here over the decades. Rut peaks around the second week of Nov..
Have done well early and mid Oct. as bucks seem more homebodied and predictable still while more active than all summer.
It seems daylight a factor in bringing does into season and while warm temps curtail a lot of daytime activity the rut goes on. One smart buck,accompanied by a lady friend last year around peak rut was bedding all day by the highway near one area I hunted. Hunting pressure kept him in a place people did not go till the people left.He was watched by a couple different parties impressed with his patience.His being alone at times made it seem more likely it was his preference than a does but a doe may have showed him the site too originally.
The year before one was using a bridge over the highway and traveled under it to hide in the median but got bushwhacked leaving his hideout during day-lite during or very near peak rut..
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Awesome....
I took vacation from work this year to bow hunt from Nov 3'rd through the 9'th.
I will be looking for a chance to break my new Matrix 310 in properly :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
cevans

Post by cevans »

BrotherRon wrote:Awesome....
I took vacation from work this year to bow hunt from Nov 3'rd through the 9'th.
I will be looking for a chance to break my new Matrix 310 in properly :mrgreen:
Good luck to you and enjoy your crossbow hunting as I know you will.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Glad to see a normal rut predicted. I've always done good around 8 November +/- four days. During that time, I want all of the seat time in the stand I can get. In Northern VA, the muzzleloader season is 1-14 Nov which covers the best part of the rut.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: