Tac 15 v Matrix 380 question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

valkyrie.rider

Tac 15 v Matrix 380 question

Post by valkyrie.rider »

I have shot a Tac 15 for several years and am very comfortable with it out to 70 yards. Complete pass through at that distance is common. This year I got a Matrix 380. I really enjoy the lighter and smaller bow. However, I am wondering if the shorter, lighter arrows will be as capable at longer distances. Im fine with limiting my distance if needed, but would appreciate the forums input/opinion. Thanks
fredd

Re: Tac 15 v Matrix 380 question

Post by fredd »

i had a 380 last year shot 20'' fire bolts consistently at 20 to 90 yrds with great accuracy . 20'' goldtip laser 11 brass inserts total weight 430 to 435 gr.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I shoot an M380. It's tweaked out with a T.T. 1.5 lbs two stage target trigger and a Luepold 3-9×40 with the ballistic firedot reticle on an HHA Optimizer. My arrows are 18" Black Eagle Zombies with 92gr brass inserts and 100gr field points. Plastic nocks, 2"Blazers with extreme helical (E-Z Bolt Fletcher) and a Boo string. With that setup, off a lead sled DFT, I'm getting <2" - 3 1/2" groups between 80 yards to 110 yards. ....and there are guys here that will certainly outshoot me. :x ...not to mention any names Ironoggin, Tremps. :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Seriously, these can be scary accurate but the fact is I put a lot into that kind of accuracy and I'm a stickler for the smallest details just like the guys I mentioned. All the arrows are also grain matched to weigh within a half grain or less. I can't comment on the tac 15 other than they look cool but aren't nearly as user friendly. And there's something to be said for stability shooting a 26" arrow versus an 18" arrow. All things considered, the M380 is where I'd put my money. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
valkyrie.rider

Post by valkyrie.rider »

Thanks for the replies. Not that I have a big interest in long range hunting, but does anyone have intel on how an 18 inch arrow from a 380 penetrates past 50 yds?
strum

Post by strum »

valkyrie.rider wrote:Thanks for the replies. Not that I have a big interest in long range hunting, but does anyone have intel on how an 18 inch arrow from a 380 penetrates past 50 yds?
why past 50 yards for hunting? I think youll have more than enough kinetic energy to kill deer at even 80 yards with the 380 but is that ethical?...
only you can answer..
Guns are for long range kills. archery is not
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
valkyrie.rider

Post by valkyrie.rider »

Any experience with shots over 50? Thanks
ds762

Post by ds762 »

valkyrie.rider wrote:Any experience with shots over 50? Thanks
I shot my M380 at a public range awhile back and at 60 yards the target penetration was unreal. Getting the arrow out of the backstop at 60 was still a PITA!!

I'd say the limitation of yardage for ethical shots on game is entirely up to how good you shoot and trust yourself!!
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sure i have a good bit of over 50 yds experience, all good. I jus got Kong a 405, so it will do it. Really its not about Bows its about arrow weight n accuracy. So if you feel good whle shooting its all good. Once i get Kong all sighted in on my 75 yd target range i shall be hunting with him alot.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
valkyrie.rider

Post by valkyrie.rider »

Thanks for the replies and insite. Unlikely I will shoot past 50 yds, but it is good to know that the bow and arrows are capable at longer distances.
884savage

Post by 884savage »

It's not a matter of whether you or the bow are capable of hitting at that distance. The bow can shoot tight groups to beyond 80 yards. The arrows have the power to drive right through a deer at that distance. BUT, deer can move multiple feet in the time that arrow will travel. The chance of a clean kill beyond 50 yards is so minimal you show zero respect for the game you're hunting, the neighbors hunting the same animals you're wounding, and I hope you don't live near me. I hope you're just asking for curiosity sake, and if so sorry for my edgy attitude. We all wound deer if we hunt long enough, but reducing those situations can be drastically reduced with a little common sense. I'm sure we all on here could brag of insane long shots that have been successful, but more times than not we miss or wound. I killed a turkey at 67 yards with my 12 gauge. I should have never taken the shot. Bad decision.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Go on YouTube and watch the guy hitting balloons at 200 yds.. I'd say M380 is a scary accurate user friendly beast!! :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Fandex

Post by Fandex »

"Go on YouTube and watch the guy hitting balloons at 200 yds"

That is the problem of hunting, the target 'can' move...
And an alerted deer can easily jump the string, a blow of wind can deflect the arrow...
The balloons are fastened...
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Fast Models n longer shots, personally i see no reason that a person who is a great shot. Be limited by anutter person who has trouble hitting a softball at 30 yds! I think those who shoot longer ranges knowed their equipement very well have been shooting these ranges fer months. I now have a 75 yd shooting range that i now use. With Kong n Marie i see no reason not to practice at those ranges. Its not going to hurt me & my deer still pop out very close til after all the leaveshave fallen. Then i see them at 40-60 yds moving about.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I think the target shooting at 80 to 100 yrds is a great idea gets you in tune with your bow and trigger .the more you shoot a longer range the easier it is to shoot at close range .I do think the arrow will still go thru a deers ribs at 100 yards no problem .Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Fandex...who who shoot that far at game??..were talking about the 380 and arrow setups for accuracy..
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts