Looking for a quiet sling or ideas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NonTypicalCPA

Looking for a quiet sling or ideas

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

I want to add a sling to my 380. I've had slings in the past but have ended up taking them off due to the noise they made when moving the bow in the stand. I missed a shot opportunity on one occasion when the metal on the sling where it attaches to the bow "clinked" against the bow when I was positioning for a shot. I know I could remove the sling once on stand, but would prefer not to. Any recommendations on a sling? Or on making one quiet?
Kegbelly

Re: Looking for a quiet sling or ideas

Post by Kegbelly »

Great question! I put the Claw rifle sling on my M380, which is just a nylon strap and rubber pad so it's quiet enough, it's the steel swivels clinking against the stock that makes noise. I'm also looking for suggestions on how to make it quieter. I had thought about the plastic dip stuff in a spray can on the swivels, or either wrapping the swivels in the same rubber electrical tape I wrapped the stirrup in. Might give that a try first since it can be taken off if it doesn't work.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You can buy moleskin at any drug store. Cut to size and shape and stick it on the stock surrounding the swivel or whatever configuration you want. It's not pretty but it is functional. If it works for you and you want something that looks better you can buy Muffs Fuzzy Stuff. Same as moleskin but in a camo pattern.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

paulaboutform wrote:You can buy moleskin at any drug store. Cut to size and shape and stick it on the stock surrounding the swivel or whatever configuration you want. It's not pretty but it is functional. If it works for you and you want something that looks better you can buy Muffs Fuzzy Stuff. Same as moleskin but in a camo pattern.
I was about to edit my post but Paul beat me to it. That might be the best option, to put something soft and quiet on the stock itself where the swivels bump it.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
NonTypicalCPA

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

That was going to be my short term solution if there wasn't another option. Sounds like I'm not the only one with the swivels making noise.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I also have the claw sling on my M355, an excellent sling in my opinion. As for making it quite, here is what I have done. I have a loop of high tensile strength 2.5mm kernmantle cord (available at REI or any store that deals with rock climbing), tied in a loop from the rear attachment point on the stock. I attach the rear of the sling to this loop, this provides one level of seperation. I then wrap gorilla tape around that rear swivel to deaden any sound if it does come in contact with the stock.

For the front I directly attached to the swivel stud on the rail and then cover both riser attachements/bushings with mole skin. This deadens any sound if the front swivel rocks forward or rearward as the swivel stud is between the riser attachments.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Cut a camo patterned Lanyard, flattened ends with lighter and tied a Quarter size loop to each sling post on Xbow.
Took an adjustable shoulder strap with plastic clips on each end from a large Duffle bag (unused). Clipped strap to loops on Xbow- sling.
Quick on and off no metal to metal. Works well!

Drew, another member also uses this sling set up also, a photo is in this thread.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ng#p522989

Here's mine on my Vortex.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... up#p366450

Sorry Drew, looks as if we were posting at the same time :shock:
Great minds think alike :lol: :lol:
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

What I do on my Rifles and Xbow is attach the sling then wrap the swivel with 5 or 6 rounds of Black Electrical Tape . Cheap and works great .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
NonTypicalCPA

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

Thanks guys for the ideas! I think I will go the para-cord route with one of my existing slings.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

"The Quake" swivels are a polymer w/ a steel pin. Keep the pin lubed and pretty quiet.
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

X2 with the paracord. Absolutey no noise!
cevans

Post by cevans »

fuzzy wrote:Remove steel swivels from sling and replace with paracord. Plenty strong, zero noise, low cost, little effort install and will fit thru sling stud hole. :) Good luck.
+1 on cutting the squivels off as I do it to all my guns even as well as crossbow,,but instead of parachord of which will eventually rub and fray,,I use 7/64 grey amsteel for the loop to the sling thru the hole where the swivel used to go,,and no worry's on breakage, wear, or fraying while stalking or packing on the shoulder to stand. Quiet,,no noise whatsoever.
http://www.reddenmarine.com/samson-rope ... -foot.html
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I have recently found that I really no not need a sling. I no longer cock my M380 at the car. Rather I have the cocking rope set up on the bow string ready to pull back. I use a simple over the top mount for my quiver. I use a back pack.

I can hold the bow by the tip end of the bow with the gun frame resting on my back. It fits nice and comfortable with the string resting on my shoulder. Granted I only have one hand free for either a flashlight or carrying my chair.

This seems to work for me and takes a little weight off of the bow. Obviously if one needs both hands open this method would not work! Presently me bow sling sits in a container with all of my "not in use" equipment!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings