More Meat for the Freezer....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

More Meat for the Freezer....

Post by amythntr »

....well, we as a family have some good old fashion competitive fun when it comes to the deer hunting woods...not only among my boys Anthony, Christopher and me but more importantly with my "all knowing brother-in law," Angelo.... :shock:

....well, so far the Matrix 380 had not let my boys and me down with Anthony shooting a nice eight :D and a doe and Christopher 8) shooting a monster 8 (for NJ)...and dad opening up the early season with some freezer meat :? ...but Angelo has been skunked :lol: :lol: ...we have been ribbing him incessantly...not only has he been skunked but he has missed twice with his "Nopointer Compound Crossbow." :roll: :roll:

....so yesterday morning I was out with Angelo and our uncle and of course my brother in law has to climb the mountain all the way up to 3 steps below heaven :roll: :roll: ...I go to my spot somewhere in the "purgatory" region and the action starts with in a half of an hour when the small game shooting started down below and across the river...

....six or seven doe (no bucks) came running up all spooked and at attention....I have a "doe" to my right about 40 yds away marching around me right below me. I can see "her" tail up but "she" won't go away..."she" stayed just out of shooting range and below me for about 15 minutes...I thought to myself "she" is picking up the "buckbomb doe estrus" scent I had sprayed on some of the tree branches....

....finally one of those doe that had run up the hill and were on the next ridge above me snorted and I thought for sure my "doe" would be bolting soon...I decide at this point if "she" comes up a little and gives me a clear shot I am gonna take it....well "she" does...."she" comes up to my level staring at me in my blind....then starts walking again along the ridge....

....I raise my 380 and point to an opening that I know is 30yds...there "she" is...quartering slightly to me...I let go an 18" ZS with a Spitfire up front and a Lumenok lighthouse in the caboose. "WHACK", I saw the lighted arrow disappear....."she" runs about 50 yds and takes "her" dirt nap....

....would "NEVER" have found my arrow but for the Lumenok brightly shining and barely sticking out of the leaves....fully coated in the liquid of life....Spitfire blades fully deployed looking like 3 little kids saying, "daddy, did we do good, did we do good, hah, hah, hah?".....

....upon getting to "her" I see the exit hole right in front of "her" back leg...entrance hole, according to the autopsy report was a lung shot...those Spitfires sure leave their mark.... beginning the process of "field dressing" I notice a little "package" on its bottom near the rear....and said, aha! as I felt the skull...my doe was a "button buck"....now I know why he stayed around the estrus smell....

....well thats 5 for 5 with the Matrix 380 for the Romano's (clearly in the lead) and my brother in law is feeling the pressure of possibly going skunked during a bow season....

....by the way...he stayed over our house and left real early to go out hunting!....hehehehehehe!....He just texted me some excuses about relieving himself, and if he was standing instead of sitting, and if he was three trees over..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The freezer is now full!

Anthony :)

PS:...this is all in good fun...and makes for a good time over the Thanksgiving table...A FAMILY THAT HUNTS TOGETHER HAS A LOT OF GREAT MEMORIES TOGETHER! :D
Last edited by amythntr on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Kegbelly

Re: More Meat for the Freezer....

Post by Kegbelly »

Great story Anthony! Wow y'all are really mopping up this year! Your family is gonna put whitetails on Jersey's endangered list :lol: Congrats to all of you!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sometimes those little buttons are practically invisible. I've turned a couple does over to field dress to find "external plumbing" on them. :oops:
wabi
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Kegbelly wrote:Great story Anthony! Wow y'all are really mopping up this year! Your family is gonna put whitetails on Jersey's endangered list :lol: Congrats to all of you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

....it sure seems that way sometimes in zone 4 where we hunt!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Congrats Anthony.... Enjoyed your story as well..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
bubba

Post by bubba »

Anthony....Great story as always a master with the pen....And with the crossbow.. Congrats to you and the boys,or young men.Hell I didn't know there were that many deer in the whole state of n.j. I thought most of the state was covered in cement and asphalt Ha Ha just messing with ya....my son in law is from the bellmawr , Voorhees , area. His step father is from an old Italian family there.. Sure was a complete turn around from what I knew....But after a few years he came around,,,Not talking bad about n.j. or anything,,,It just isn't what I prefer...But heck sure a lot of yall feel the same about us rednecks down here!! Any way buddy glad you and yours are havin a great year.... Keep on slinging.........
Last edited by bubba on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Normous

Post by Normous »

A full freezer makes for a happy belly!
Congrats!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congratulations to you and the whole Romano clan Anthony! Thanks for the great story. You guys are all killin machines! :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Great story and congrats on another to fill the freezer
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the doe and the story!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Enjoyed yer great story n congras on yer nice deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats on harvesting the "doe"! :lol:

Fun post - appreciate the extra time you take in your writing to take us all along on your adventures!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....you guys and gals are so much fun...I really enjoy everyone here on this wonderful forum....looking forward to meeting many of you next year at Boofest....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Putting the Excal's thru their paces and filling the freezer with tastey venison treats ! > Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

congratulations
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-