I wanna move to Texas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

I wanna move to Texas

Post by Species8472 »

So I ordered a 5 day hunting licence for myself and a youth licence for my son so that we can do some hog hunting and some Axis after Texfest 2015.

So for my 14 year old son the licence cost a whopping $7 is good for a year and includes the following tags:

5 whitetails
2 mule deer
4 turkeys
Unlimited predators (bobcat, coyote etc)
Unlimited Exotics (non-native but in many cases free ranging e.g. Aodad, Axis etc)
Unlimited hogs

Plus unlike Ontario he can hunt any method (yes semi auto AR15) unsupervised as long as he has his hunter safety (which he has).

Needless to say the kid is amped.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
JPjunkie

Re: I wanna move to Texas

Post by JPjunkie »

Species8472 wrote:So I ordered a 5 day hunting licence for myself and a youth licence for my son so that we can do some hog hunting and some Axis after Texfest 2015.

So for my 14 year old son the licence cost a whopping $7 is good for a year and includes the following tags:

5 whitetails
2 mule deer
4 turkeys
Unlimited predators (bobcat, coyote etc)
Unlimited Exotics (non-native but in many cases free ranging e.g. Aodad, Axis etc)
Unlimited hogs

Plus unlike Ontario he can hunt any method (yes semi auto AR15) unsupervised as long as he has his hunter safety (which he has).

Needless to say the kid is amped.
A lot different down there Be careful of snakes and creepy crawlers if your not used to that stuff be careful :) Hope you both kill your fill of critters
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
one eye joe

Post by one eye joe »

Unfortunately, deer won't be in season. You may catch spring turkey. Lots of hogs and exotics in places. problem is that landowners want to get their yearly monies from hunters. Prices are getting out of sight, and even though they complain about hog damage, they want to charge big time prices to let somebody come in and shoot a few. I wish I lived in a state with public land, as I can't afford to hunt here (but I can afford the license :) ).
Ibex (The Terrible)
Dan's (xcalibur) strings
DCA arrows
Swacker broadheads
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

one eye joe wrote:Unfortunately, deer won't be in season. You may catch spring turkey. Lots of hogs and exotics in places. problem is that landowners want to get their yearly monies from hunters. Prices are getting out of sight, and even though they complain about hog damage, they want to charge big time prices to let somebody come in and shoot a few. I wish I lived in a state with public land, as I can't afford to hunt here (but I can afford the license :) ).
We are lucky to have friends at the Pitchfork Ranch. They putting us up and taking care of us. Gonna convert the box of my truck into a cooler so we can pack our stuff in ice to take home.

Expensive part will be if my son gets a bobcat, big tusker and axis buck the taxidermist bill is gonna kill me.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

aln

Post by aln »

That sounds like a heck of a trip!!! Mmmm roast boar over the fire :):):):)
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

Love to hunt the TX hogs-- but--- it is getting a bit pricey
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Species8472 wrote:Gonna convert the box of my truck into a cooler so we can pack our stuff in ice to take home.
When I go out west for a bison, I take a freezer, a generator, and a hitch hauler deal. Put the generator on the hitch hauler and run it and then just plug in the freezer. Active cooling all the way home then you don't have to worry about any temperature spikes, etc.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Just an FYI on the freezer/generator deal. A new freezer will only make it 4-5 trips doing this as the compressor in home freezers is not designed to take the bouncing/ pounding with big load in it. Been there done that.

Best option is to get big coolers, throw quarters in coolers 1/2 ice and water. Pull drain plug every day and ad water ice as needed. After 4/5 days you will have all the blood drained out of meat. Process it or drop it at butchers when you get home and you good to go. A lot of wild game processed on away from home hunts suffers from lack of ageing and from being processed too fast meat is full of blood which is not good for end results. I use this method all the time now and have never had anything go bad and taste is always top notch as blood is removed from meat. There should not be any drive to hunts that take more than 5 days travel in N. America. I know many guys that now do this at home as well as it works so well. Buy big coolers and you will be fine.
one eye joe

Post by one eye joe »

We are lucky to have friends at the Pitchfork Ranch. They putting us up and taking care of us. Gonna convert the box of my truck into a cooler so we can pack our stuff in ice to take home.

Expensive part will be if my son gets a bobcat, big tusker and axis buck the taxidermist bill is gonna kill me.[/quote]

If you get an Axis, I will be more than happy to take it so you don't have to lug the meat back home. Truthfully, I have eaten a lot of different game animals, and Axis is probably the best tasting I have ever eaten. Hope you are able to get one (hide makes a nice rug too!)
Ibex (The Terrible)
Dan's (xcalibur) strings
DCA arrows
Swacker broadheads
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Out of curiosity, what are the details on the adult licence?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Pydpiper wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the details on the adult licence?
$48 for 5 days and includes unlimited hogs, unlimited predators, unlimited non-native. To add other native options cost several hundred per animal.

agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Sounds like a great time and taking the boy is just the best. Hope he has the time of his life. Imagine leaving Canada rich in game to hunt Texas. Gooo Texas! :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Very cool. Cost and oppertunity are excellent.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string