Question on new 405 setup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bayouhunter

Question on new 405 setup

Post by Bayouhunter »

Hey guys new to this site. Been reading forum and gathering alot of great info. I have had an equinox for 4 yrs and plan on letting my brother use it,everything is stock on it. I want a new bow and thinking 405 is way to go over 380. Thinking about buying bow and customizing like so many of you guys. Thinking of getting scope, sounds like leupold vxr, vortex viper xbr or hawke xb-30 r the forums most recommended. Sounds like zombie slayers r bolts of choice, sounds like broadheads of choice may be foc. Strings of choice must be boostrings. Any recs of how put together a great accurate deadly 405, like specific specs on thses items or any changes? Thanks for any input fellas.
xcaliber

Re: Question on new 405 setup

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome to the forum, and it sounds like you have a plan. The 405 is one serious crossbow, so if i were going to make a suggestion it would depend on your physical ability, and age. Honestly I think the 405 is overkill, but if it's speed you're after, there is only one choice!! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

X2 what xcaliber said, IMHO I believe that you would enjoy the 355 more than the 405 unless you plan to hunt T-Rex. The 355 will take any animal that you may want to hunt. Let us know what you decide.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Bayouhunter

Post by Bayouhunter »

Thanks for replies! I am 39, work out weight lift alot,5'10". I dont competion shoot only hunt whitetails. Dont get alot time to practice therefore why I went crossbow route 4 yrs ago, just moved and have much bigger yd in country setting so as time permits should b able to practice shooting my bow but will nvr b a everyday and prob nvr a every weekend shooter. I like over kill b/c it helps when I dont make the perfect shot, I hate losing game I shoot at and not making the recovery. Plus i am colorblind red green so more damage the better for finding the deer if I hunt by myself, plus the terrain I hunt they can get away after a hit if minimal trail to follow.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you enjoy shooting, and still want more power, then the 380, or 405 would do it for you. You young pups have it made! :lol: I think that any model you get will surprise you in the ability to harvest deer. If you're worried about shots, get the meanest broadhead, heaviest arrow set up that gives you the best accuracy, and do your part with an ethical shot, and it will be lights out!

Good luck, look forward to reading about your successes!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
SEW

Post by SEW »

I have both a M380 and a M405. They are identically equipped:Boo strings/silencers, TT #2.5 DS, Optimizers/Zeiss Duralyt 2-8 lighted, Zombies 18", AL insert, Plastic flat nocks, helical Blazers, 170g FOC, 406g 391'/sec, 100 yd 1 1/2" 3-shot groups. They are equally accurate.
Which bow? 405 is my favorite. Why? 2 reasons - more powerful can push larger broadhead thru animal, and flatter trajectory for longer range. I varmint hunt to a little over 100 yds and deer hunt as far as I'm ethically comfortable. The faster the arrow, the flatter the trajectory, and the longer the range.
Scope choice: I have the Zeiss with no regrets but feel the 2-7 VXR is a lot of scope for the money. There is a scope coming out next month that is a dedicated xbow scope with a very impressive retical system that goes to 82.5 yds. That is truly a reasonable max limit. Though I have Optimizer/great scopes, I'd prefer a great scope that is xbow specific. It's coming. Try to wait.
Cocking the 380 & 405. In 4 months, I'll be 68, 5:10, #180. I can cock both: 380 easily, 405 a little harder. I use the C-2 to cock the 405 but take the rope hunting in case I need to cock it while hunting. Never use the C-2 on 380. I've shot the 380 over 100x at 1 setting.
Trajectory means less if accuracy isn't there. I've rung out SZ380 and Strikeforce and just can't beat 4" @ 100 yds. Both Matrix xbows consistently are 1 1/2" or less.
As the strings and cables stretch on the compounds, so do the groups. Not so on the Excals. Mine always hit the same places. Unbelievably consistent!
I have a wooden stock coming: it'll go on the one I use most - the 405. I don't have it for power as much as the flatter trajectory. If all my deer hunting were below 50 yds, maybe as much as 60, I'd get a Mini. That's not my case.
Just some thoughts. These groups mentioned were obtained using benchrest technics/conditions.
Last edited by SEW on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Ive killed the last 14 deer with FOCs. 6DRT and 8 close by. The powerful 380 & 405 can effectively deliver what's needed for the FOC.
Bayouhunter

Post by Bayouhunter »

Excellent info! Thank you very much. Yes i want a crossbow specific scope. I hear FOC are awesome!
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

SEW: Who's making this new scope you talk of?
SEW

Post by SEW »

torana9x wrote:SEW: Who's making this new scope you talk of?
I can't say. Sorry. I don't care for people acting in "one upsmanship" concerning knowing things others don't . Im not trying to do that. Unfortunately I can't divulge any info though. I'm trying to save the guy regrets and money. The wait is worth it. I will get one.

Let's discuss xbow specific scopes. Positive qualities are: small, light, excellent optics, simple but adequate range marks, range to at least 60 yds, for me, at least 80 yds, excellent tracking, ability to hold zero. Virtually no scope available has all these qualities. Many are large, heavy, poor to fair optics, cluttered reticles,etc. I think the one coming will have all the positive qualities at a very low cost for what we get. It will be more than most xbow scopes, as it should be. If in the market, wait!
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

Ok fair enough. I'm also looking in to a new scope, this new one you speak of sounds very interesting and I shall wait.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

I also have the 405 and love it. While 200 fps will kill a deer I don't want a rainbow trajectory either. I, like sew wants a flat trajectory do to limbs a d brush that might be in the way if my trajectory is not flat. I also like how the FOC delivers unreal damage and a blood path that needs to be seen. I also don't always have the ability to wait for that perfect broad side shot . My area is different so some times I have to take a hard quartering towards me shot or no shot. I got my buck last year on this exact shot but I was using my scorpyd SLP 165 shooting 436 gr arrow at 433 fps. With this power I was COMFORTABLE taking that shot and had complete penetration and very short track job. I love this kind of power where i don't have any worry, if or will it be able to do the job. One less thing to think about so just aim and squeeze. There is more to speed than just a number as it does mean something.

I also have another hunting area where shots can be longer and to ME the less time of flight to target the better. More can go wrong between trigger pull and impact.

But if a 405 is what you are interested have at it and enjoy the heck out of it. I have come a long way towards recurves and i can't get enough. My 405 is a killing machine. It's simple and just plain easy to do anything you need to do. I can't think of any reason to ever let this one go it's just that great of a bow.

i shoot the 405 set up like this. 18" zombie slayers with the FOC and now loving the Ignitors illuminated nock.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your success. This is a great place to hang out.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
SEW

Post by SEW »

Brian, please compare the pros and cons of both the M405 and the 165. There's no question the Scorpyd is in a power/speed league all it's own. Thanks.
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

Hey Bayouhunter,
I'm new to the forum too. Just got my 405 for Christmas and it is awesome with the stock package to me. This is my first crossbow. As far as buying new and expensive aftermaket parts do you think it would be wise to try out the stock version first? I bought Grim Reaper X Bow heads for my first set to try. Today I got my first shot at a good buck. The bolt hammered him and the broadhead did its job. He ran just out of sigth in the thick trees. From the time I shot and he crashed dead was literally 10 seconds.
Hope this helps. By the way what does FOC stand for?
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

SEW wrote:Brian, please compare the pros and cons of both the M405 and the 165. There's no question the Scorpyd is in a power/speed league all it's own. Thanks.
Sew,

They are very different. The scorpyd is heavy but well balanced which helps do to the RDT design. Cocking is way way WAY easier with the scorpyd and that sled. Very very good trigger and better than my 405. It also has less shock in the hands and is really super duper quiet. The bad, it takes effort to get your arrows to fly at distances past 40/50 yards. Trying to get them to shoot as there is a little bit in the (GRAY) area here. Let me explain.. Getting to shoot is relative here. I mean sub 1". But 2 to 3" groups is not hard but to ME unacceptable. Trying many shafts and vane combos and nocks even made a difference. I got obsessed with extreme accuracy and did find it. Deer at 60+ not even a thought. It's meat !

With this kind of speed even my BH was limited to swhackers and nothing else. If I only shot to 40 yards I could get away with a lot of heads but accuracy to me needed to be sub 1".

My 405 is EASY AS A HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER. Any BH and arrow combo so far have been stellar. I love the simplistic nature of the recurve. I am able to change string and just BH at a whim. It's kind of ... if you only have one crossbow it's the excalibur for sure.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time