Youth Stocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cspot

Youth Stocks

Post by cspot »

Why not make an adjustable length of pull stock for the Matrix and Micro bows? The Micro bow would be a great youth bow, but it would sure be nice if the stock was a little shorter for kids. I am fortunate that all of my kids have been big for their age and can manage with the adult stocks. Not every one is that lucky.

Yes I know that there is a youth model coming out for the Matrix line, but that bow doesn't have the performance of the other Matrix bows or the Micro. It would seem that it stock wouldn't even have to be adjustable. Just make a stock with a shorter LOP. Owners of the bow could swap the stocks since there is only a couple of screws. POI shouldn't even change if they wanted to swap back and forth.

I just don't understand why every youth bow that comes out is usually the slowest version or the one with the cheapest materials or accessories. Why not make a faster one that will fit the kids? Even better if Mom or Dad can use it to.

Ok. My rant is over. LOL. I just think manufacturers including Excalibur are missing the mark here. You nock a couple of inches off the Micro stock and you would have a serious youth crossbow.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Normous

Re: Youth Stocks

Post by Normous »

Valid point but the 2 boys across the road who are athletic and play hockey can't cock my 380 no matter how much they tried. I am thinking the 355 will be too much for them the way I see it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
cspot

Post by cspot »

Normous wrote:Valid point but the 2 boys across the road who are athletic and play hockey can't cock my 380 no matter how much they tried. I am thinking the 355 will be too much for them the way I see it.
Yes, but with a crank they could and most kids (under 16) are hunting with an adult anyway.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Like anything else I suspect it comes down to "demand".

Some bean counter has sat down and crunched the numbers to tool up to make a shorter, adjustable, insert adding stock compared to their market research as to how many they could realistically sell and said "nope, not economically viable".

The crossbow market might just be the smallest out of all the potential "hunting weapons".

Hey, leaves an opening for an entrepreneur :P
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
TPM

Post by TPM »

Like anything else I suspect it comes down to "demand".

Some bean counter has sat down and crunched the numbers to tool up to make a shorter, adjustable, insert adding stock compared to their market research as to how many they could realistically sell and said "nope, not economically viable".
That about sums it up. There is a market for a youth bow but no one wants to pay adult prices for it. Excalibur learned that with the Pixel. It's like any other sporting equipment, parents don't want to spend big bucks on something kids will out grow in a couple of years and as the parent of a nine year old I completely understand that.
Yes, but with a crank they could and most kids (under 16) are hunting with an adult anyway.
True but a crank is another added expense. Combine that with the fact that if other kids are anything like ours they'll want to spent time learning and honing their skills through 3D and other target shooting. A crank is a pain in the butt in those situations.
Yes I know that there is a youth model coming out for the Matrix line, but that bow doesn't have the performance of the other Matrix bows or the Micro. It would seem that it stock wouldn't even have to be adjustable. Just make a stock with a shorter LOP.
The stock on the new Matrix Cub is shorter.
I just don't understand why every youth bow that comes out is usually the slowest version or the one with the cheapest materials or accessories. Why not make a faster one that will fit the kids?
I think there are a couple of reasons that the youth bows tend to be slower. One is ease of cocking. If the kid can't cock it they are not likely to enjoy shooting it. Another is, and this is just my opinion, I think it's good to teach kids that crossbows have their limits and a slower bow forces them to focus on their limits. I also like the idea of a slower youth bow because slower bows lend themselves far better to target shooting than faster bows (easier to cock, less target damage, easier to pull arrows). The reality is kids are more likely to spend more time on the target range than in the treestand.
Having said all that I do agree with you, I would love to see a youth bow with a little more refinement in it and still sell for a good price but I really don't think there is a big enough market to warrant the focus of the manufacturers at this time. The world's gone mad with the "magnum mentality" and the growth markets are all about speed.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

If dad has to cock it the neighborhood dogs and cats are safe. Jmho
cspot

Post by cspot »

TPM,

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it would be hard for Excal to come out with a youth stock for the Matrix and the Micro. This would allow us who want them to purchase them for our kids. The Micro for example would be a great kid's bow in my opinion, but the stock could be a little shorter for them. The crossbow manufacturer's always point out that crossbows are a great recruiting tool for youth, but then don't offer very much for them.
TPM

Post by TPM »

The Cub stock will probably fit the larger Matrix models if you are so inclined but in my opinion the Cub as is would be more than adequate to drop any deer.
I'm with ya on this one but the reality is Excal can barely keep up with demand for the mainstream models, dedicating production time to niche models is not likely a priority.
Last edited by TPM on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
cspot

Post by cspot »

TPM wrote:The Cub stock will probably fit the larger Matrix models if you are so inclined but in my opinion the Cub as is would be more than adequate to drop any deer.
I don't think it will fit the other Matrix bows if the pics in the new catalog are correct. The stock looks a little different. Looks like it would fit the grizzly, but I don't know if that is for sure.

I agree the Cub would be more than adequate to drop any deer, but again why should there only be one choice?

The other thing is some adults may appreciate a smaller stock as well.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Here are a few pictures of the stock on my Kodabow. As you can see there is little over 3 inches of adjustment on the stock plus you can add a rubber butt pad to add a little more. A stock such as this would fit a wide range of people from youths to women to men. Just something to ponder. :wink:
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ