finnaly got my first crossbow need some help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

archerytho

finnaly got my first crossbow need some help

Post by archerytho »

Today I got an axiom,
lots of fun easy to shoot.

Unfortunately i have to admit on my sixth shot, I lined up and shot but without an arrow :oops: I think I have to try and forget about that. I was quiet surprised as I only knew because there wasn't an arrow on the target, would have expected a massive noise.

I have shot it about 60 times and noticed discolouration in the rail and flakes of paint or something, I didn't buy any lube or wax but surely after this amount of time it wont Have harmed the rail.

So is this normal in the SMF bows or do i just need to get some wax, would any harm have been done?

Thanks for any help.
Can I use string wax for recurve bows?
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
njlungbuster

Re: finnaly got my first crossbow need some help

Post by njlungbuster »

Dry fires happen. Just make sure your limbs haven't gotten any splinters. Check with cotton balls. But I'm guessing since you shot it 50+ more times after that with no issues, you're probably fine. As for lube and wax, get both. Any rail lube should work and string wax the same. Another major for new shooters is to make sure your brace height is set correct. The consensus is about 1/4" from the string stops. If your bow doesn't have them, but them. They're great. Good luck and happy shooting.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
strum

Post by strum »

archerytho wrote:Today I got an axiom,
lots of fun easy to shoot.

Unfortunately i have to admit on my sixth shot, I lined up and shot but without an arrow :oops: I think I have to try and forget about that. I was quiet surprised as I only knew because there wasn't an arrow on the target, would have expected a massive noise.

I have shot it about 60 times and noticed discolouration in the rail and flakes of paint or something, I didn't buy any lube or wax but surely after this amount of time it wont Have harmed the rail.

So is this normal in the SMF bows or do i just need to get some wax, would any harm have been done?

Thanks for any help.
Can I use string wax for recurve bows?
not sure what you mean by " flakes of paint" but the rail will show some discoloration from the string and even the alumn nocks..you should be able to clean it off with some jigaloo or WD40. with out a pic im guessing its normal.
don't see a need for rail wax but you can wax your serving every 30 -50 shots and maybe wax the entire string every couple hundred.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
bubba

Post by bubba »

as mentioned before take some cotton balls run them around your limbs edges look for the cotton to catch on any small splinter if none does you should be ok...As for rail lube some do some don't, I just keep mine clean with wd-40 and yes for the wax what you used for your other bow will work. But I prefer a softer wax like daltons or String snot, and if you do not have string stops like the s5 from Excaliber or danny miller..That in my opinion is the most you can do for your bow......As for the a.d.f. its a good acc but with the lower poundage bows like yours I don't think it is as critical... Have fun and keep them arrows flying down range..............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I think what you are describing as paint flakes are coming off the arrows and you see them in the groove. That is normal, and you can scrape it off with your finger nail.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Thank you all Ive waxed the whole string and it looks better.
I hope the dryfire doesn't hurt the bow in the coming years.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

A better explanation on my behalf would of helped but the "flakes of paint" was just small shavings on the rail due to friction.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

May want to check your rear arrow inserts to look for sharp edges.
I know I have rejected a few in the pass to prevent rail damage as you describe.
Arrows are cheap a damaged rail grove is not a good for so many reasons.
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

colouredchameleon you are right
I cleaned up the inserts/nocks.
Im using just Firebolts Until I get some Zombie Slayers.

They inside of the rail on one side is scratched, ill have to be careful, i thought the SMF would hold up just fine after seing no bad reviews on it. I was skeptical though and now almost wish i went for the metal rail.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
Boo

Post by Boo »

archerytho wrote:colouredchameleon you are right
I cleaned up the inserts/nocks.
Im using just Firebolts Until I get some Zombie Slayers.

They inside of the rail on one side is scratched, ill have to be careful, i thought the SMF would hold up just fine after seing no bad reviews on it. I was skeptical though and now almost wish i went for the metal rail.
If I have to use aluminum rear nocks, I chamfer them to the carbon with a fine file (a couple of degrees) and polish the edge with 600 grit paper.
Some people just like stepping on rakes