Ghillie suits

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mo wannabe

Ghillie suits

Post by Mo wannabe »

Anyone out there got any opionions on what's best ?
I been looking into getting one but there is so many out there and such a price span I thought I'd see if u folks had any advice
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
njlungbuster

Re: Ghillie suits

Post by njlungbuster »

Mine isn't a total ghillie suit but it's close and I love it. I've had it for at least six years. It's the Cabela's Ghil-leaf jacket and pants. Both with scentlok. It's great because I can use it for almost all of deer season, then pull the scentlok liner out of both and just use the outer leaf suit for turkey hunting in the spring.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Ranch Safari is still the go to real deal.Love mine.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I have a Cabelas Ghil-Leaf hooded jacket. I used it this year with amazing results. Sitting in a fence row on the ground I had deer within and honest 6 feet of me several times. These are hard hunted Michigan deer so fooling them is tough to say the least. The deer were really using this fence row but it was all small trees and brush so no treestands would work. Well to my surprise this suit was the ticket. I was on the downwind side of the deer and they would look right through me it seemed never having a clue death was so close. Some actually browsed on the limbs right in front of me so close I could have reached out with the Excal and touched them. I told my son so he wore his and sat right where I did for two day's and had over a dozen deer walk within feet of him he was in disbelief.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Watch out for some of the inexpensive ones that use a material that gets heavy when wet.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

the best one i have is a jackal nothing sticks to it. my other one the bush type picks everything do a search on google
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

I have used a leafy suit for years... light weight, doesn't absorb water, and breathes in hot weather. I have killed deer at 12 yards off the ground with my recurve vertical bow... and have had numerous deer inside of 10 yards. The hard part is getting drawn at that range. May not be an issue with the excal though. Nothing like having a deer look "through" you at 4 feet!
Lot's of fun.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Thanks guys I think I'll try the cabelas leafy poncho
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Leaves are the way to go. I have the yarn style, it is a branch magnet. I will only wear it when there is no brush between me and my destination.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I purchased the Jackel from Camo Advantage...very well made and will not fall apart or pull....wore once in late October....It is a little heavy for early season...Comes in three parts; hood pants, and jacket.....you can choose what you want to wear...probably will use during spring turkey....

I would most likely buy again....check out their website as they have a bunch of alternatives....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have a Leafy Wear suit and a "yarn type" from Gander. Both work well. The Gander suit is a branch magnet and hot. But works great in early season. I wear the other one once the leaves fall
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Cabelas has a bunch of the gillie suits in the bargin cave for less than half price. I would suggest anyone looking for one to check it out.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em