turkey decoys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

turkey decoys

Post by strum »

ok guys I know its a little early but I got the turkey bug already.
I have a couple of feather flex decoys I have used with some success over the years.and the last year er two I have used the avian x lookout hen and tried the feeder hen..
I sold both at the end of the season with the intention of buying the Avian breeder hen and maybe a jake..
searching the ole internet I found this Readhead combo that comes with a jake and a mating hen and a remote stake to make the jake move a little ..what yall think of these?
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Reality- ... LL_PRODUCT
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
dutchhunter

Re: turkey decoys

Post by dutchhunter »

I have not tried them but any movement you can get is only going to help .I us the pretty boy and hen as well as the bobble head hen ,I like lots of decoys and lots of action ,I am looking for a stake I seen that can be used with any decoys to add movement .not sure who makes it but it is a stake with a remote that spins and makes the decoy move in a circle like a tom strutting around a hen ,I would love to try it on pretty boy .if anybody can tell me who makes this stake or were I can buy it that would be great ,I will be looking for your report if you do get this outfit ,Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
strum

Post by strum »

dutchhunter wrote:I have not tried them but any movement you can get is only going to help .I us the pretty boy and hen as well as the bobble head hen ,I like lots of decoys and lots of action ,I am looking for a stake I seen that can be used with any decoys to add movement .not sure who makes it but it is a stake with a remote that spins and makes the decoy move in a circle like a tom strutting around a hen ,I would love to try it on pretty boy .if anybody can tell me who makes this stake or were I can buy it that would be great ,I will be looking for your report if you do get this outfit ,Dutch
dutch this is the same stake ..its a readhead. I didn't realize it till I had already posted but it turns a full 180
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Remote-S ... 210091541/
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
JLH

Post by JLH »

Do yourself a favor and look into DSD decoys.

I got the Jake last year and had the best season ever.....i set up the DSD Jake with an Avion x hen, and had many, many birds come right up to it....

Usually when they see it, they come and have a better look...

I have had several different decoys over the years, with mixed results....but this dsd, is without a doubt, almost like cheating....and cheating is fair when it comes to turkeys!!
strum

Post by strum »

JLH wrote:Do yourself a favor and look into DSD decoys.

I got the Jake last year and had the best season ever.....i set up the DSD Jake with an Avion x hen, and had many, many birds come right up to it....

I have had several different decoys over the years, with mixed results....but this dsd, is without a doubt, almost like cheating....and cheating is fair when it comes to turkeys!!
I have been looking at the DSDs for sure.. I like em
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Those decoys look really nice.
I have shot dozens of turkeys over the years here in NY in the spring and always use at least one decoy, usually just a single hen. I never use a Tom since I hunt on the ground and do not want to take any chances from another careless hunter taking a shot at my decoy and toward me. Even though I hunt on private land, it is still crazy with occasional tresspassers.
A friend of mine has great success using a pretty boy Tom decoy. He hunts from a treestand type enclosure.
My decoys are the lightweight foam bodied ones and I always stuff the hollow inside of the decoy with a few plastic grocery bags to keep it puffed out when it is set up.
Good luck
strum

Post by strum »

I was on a smrt ole tom last season..I just could nto get him to come into range :( drove me crazy ..I have done pretty good in the past with just a hen but this guy caused me a lot of greif and im going to make him pay :twisted:
or at least im gonna try :lol:
im thinking a jake will make him come see me.. so its either a dsd or an avian or the redhead the read head combo is a good price that's why I was looking at it .. but I do like the avians and the DSDs better for realisim
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

JLH wrote:Do yourself a favor and look into DSD decoys.

...wow these are wickedly expensive...also the company lists all of their turkey decoys as "sold out."

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
JLH

Post by JLH »

They are not cheap.....but in my opinion, when you're dealing with an animal that can see like a turkey does, the paint and the detail is what makes a bird commit when he knows he shouldnt.

I'm not a wealthy man, but the dsd is the best money I've spent when it comes to hunting.
as I've said, I've had several types of decoys over the years, and yes, some have worked, but in all honesty, this dsd jake is the real deal.
I hunt turkeys with a bow, no blind, so I spend a bunch of time watching and waiting to be able to draw.....i had several encounters last season with Toms at 20 yds either just circling this decoy or beating the crap out of it.
also had several see it from 100+ yds and come on a string....

The best part is, even if you don't see any birds, you can look at your decoy and it feels like one is right there!
It will scare the crap out of you if you at times...lol

Thier website always says sold out, you can buy them thru Cabelas, macks Prarie wings etc...
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I use a mounted Tom and a mounted Hen . they work the best for me . I put the Tom on a small round board with a string on both sides and pull one and then the other, that works fine all you need is a little movement also the tail goes up and down with the help of a rubber band and a hinge. I have Turkeys come runnen 200 yrds. come into the set up .try to mount your next bird and give it a try . W.M.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I think that this forum single handedly is responsible for the economic recovery (what recovery :shock: :roll: ) in the north american continent....just when you think that you have enough....there is always someone on here recommending something that "you just have to try".....and before you know it...another purchase....

...listen AMEX called today and told me to, "leave home without it!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :?
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
strum

Post by strum »

amythntr wrote:....I think that this forum single handedly is responsible for the economic recovery (what recovery :shock: :roll: ) in the north american continent....just when you think that you have enough....there is always someone on here recommending something that "you just have to try".....and before you know it...another purchase....

...listen AMEX called today and told me to, "leave home without it!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :?
you have to purchase...you have to purchase. you have to purchase...
that's my little man on the shoulder talking to me..i hate him :lol: :lol: :lol:
or love him :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
JLH

Post by JLH »

After you spend a couple hundred on decoys, then add the $1000 plus for bow,arrows and etc.....

Just think of all the money you'll save not needing to buy turkey at the grocery store!

:D
strum

Post by strum »

JLH wrote:After you spend a couple hundred on decoys, then add the $1000 plus for bow,arrows and etc.....

Just think of all the money you'll save not needing to buy turkey at the grocery store!

:D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
conversely..i do not like turkey from the Gstore at all.. but the Game birds are a different story..
a couple of thanksgiving ago we baked a wild turk and a store bought one..
the wild turk was hit and I was stuck with 15 pounds of uneaten butterball
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony