What broadheads would you suggest for a Exocet 165

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Looper21

What broadheads would you suggest for a Exocet 165

Post by Looper21 »

I have been using Swackers for past 4 years and I haven't been getting any exit wounds on two deer . recently I shot a 1/4 away shot at 5 yards and the arrow entered but didn't exit It did chip a rib on the far side but no exit. I had another arrow last year do the same thing at that distance. I'm thinking too much resistance when the 2 and a 1/4 blade opens up inside the deer Even in the soft tissue. On the first 10 point I shot broad side at less than 5 yards it blew through . Should I be happy with the massive internal cut and not worry about an exit? I also don't find the swacker as overly sharp either
galamb

Re: What broadheads would you suggest for a Exocet 165

Post by galamb »

Since you are asking if you should change them out I think you have already answered your own question.

You have some doubts about their effectiveness which could cause you to hesitate which could result in a poor shot.

I would ask why did you select them in the first place?

If you are shooting sub 10 yards you shouldn't have flight issues and could stick with a very durable, heavily constructed fixed broadhead - such as the boltcutters that come with most new Excals.

OR, look at it another way. Ok, didn't get a pass through, but did you recover both deer?

If so, then the broadhead did it's job and killed the deer.

I think pass throughs are somewhat over-rated. All it means is that you had more than enough energy at impact and didn't run into anything solid enough that the arrow went all the way through.

Now a pass through may help with a blood trail if you have to track it some distance, but if you put it through the heart/lungs you often don't have to look very far and in any case you often don't start seeing blood for the first 20 or 30 yards anyhow.

But my opinion is, if you don't need a mechanical to help with arrow flight over X distance, there is way more reasons NOT to use them than reasons that make them viable.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Rocket hammerheads 3 blade 2" cut will destroy your target, just ask Vivenmaster.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Jerod B.

Post by Jerod B. »

Riflemanz wrote:Rocket hammerheads 3 blade 2" cut will destroy your target, just ask Vivenmaster.
I set a guy up with those shooting an 80 pound Hoyt with a 31" draw. He put 4 holes in a doe at 12 yards. 2 holes each side of the body cavity, and then because of her twisting and turning at the shot, 2 holes in the right ham. :shock:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Looper21 wrote:I have been using Swackers for past 4 years and I haven't been getting any exit wounds on two deer . recently I shot a 1/4 away shot at 5 yards and the arrow entered but didn't exit It did chip a rib on the far side but no exit. I had another arrow last year do the same thing at that distance. I'm thinking too much resistance when the 2 and a 1/4 blade opens up inside the deer Even in the soft tissue. On the first 10 point I shot broad side at less than 5 yards it blew through . Should I be happy with the massive internal cut and not worry about an exit? I also don't find the swacker as overly sharp either
You didn't tell us the total arrow weight ? Ppl. will findout quickly you either need plenty of arrow weight usin swhackers or a big pounder to drive it on thru!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

With yer lack of arrow weight & big poundage fixed works well, Mech. maybe not what you need. Strikers/Stingers/Slicks/GrizzTricks/Snuffer SS/ Montec/Hellrazor. All of these will do what cha need
Half Bubble Off BD360

Looper21

Post by Looper21 »

I'm leaning towards Montecs or Bolt cutters
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

I shoot a 430gr total weight arrow outa my exocet 165 with 125gr muzzy 3 blade broad heads . they are 1 3/16th cut and fly well to 40 yards(farthest i have shot them) .They are pretty affordable as well ,$35-$40 for six broad heads .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Shwackers are a solid choice for your setup. My brother in law and his entire family shoot them religously out of xbows much slower/lighter arrows and put them through deer lengthwise. Of course no matter what head you use it isn't guaranteed to pass through if it encounters enough bone or angles through the shoulders. But either way it's a dead deer...IF you require pass throughs, aim for the lungs instead of boiler room.

FYI-Shwackers offer a 1.75" model and xbow model(same 1.75" cut) which would be the best choice for your setup though.

If you want the BEST penetrating mechanical...the Rocket Steelhead is it.
They are a PITA though nowadays because they are dull out of the pkg and have to be sharpened AND about 1 in 3 wont spin true.(their quality went downhill when Trophy Ridge bought them).

Of course there are may fixed heads that stand out as well and if you are in the market to replace yours, if I worried about pass throughs I would personally go with the Montec G5 and strop it razor sharp. It will fly almost as good as the mechs, penetrate like a mad man and be strong enough that you can resharpen and reuse.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I shot this nice sized Doe yr before this past season. Shot her with a 96 model vixen at 38 yds usin a 2" swhacker on a 2218 XX75 at 400gr total arrow wt. Good pass-through. She went about 30 yds, it did some damage goin out
Half Bubble Off BD360

tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Just as I've seen with every shot. And they do perform just as well on extreme angles(as advertised).

How did your blades look on the recovered arrow?
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

vixenmaster wrote: You didn't tell us the total arrow weight ? Ppl. will findout quickly you either need plenty of arrow weight usin swhackers or a big pounder to drive it on thru!
Good Point VM!

From Shwacker FAQ's:
Can I use Swhacker Broadheads with my crossbow?
Yes. Our mechanical broadheads are well suited for use with crossbows - even the fastest crossbows on the market today. We recommend that crossbows and compound bows produce a minimum of 50 ft/lbs of kinetic energy when using the 1.75-inch model, 55 ft/lbs of KE when using the 2-inch model and 60 ft/lbs when using the 2.25-inch model. Most crossbows produce plenty of kinetic energy to use all Swhacker mechanical broadheads.

I don't think your bow produces enough KE(even with 2219's) at 10 yds(let alone further) to meet the minimum KE recommended for the 2.25" models..

HOWEVER, I do believe your bow will meet the 50#KE requirement of the 1.75" models out to 50 yards(maybe a bit further) as long as you aren't using "light" arrows.

If you like the Shwackers, just get the 1.75" model and know it will do the job:)
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

tomcat wrote:Just as I've seen with every shot. And they do perform just as well on extreme angles(as advertised).

How did your blades look on the recovered arrow?
Lots of rocks here n blades were bent n butter knifed. I jus figure every shot here i make with any BH will be a one time use!
Half Bubble Off BD360

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Personally, with the lower poundage bows I'd be looking at good quality cut on contact fixed blade broadheads. I immediately think of the magnus, qad exodus, montec and many others. My first order of business is pinpoint accuracy. Following that, everything else falls into place.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

VM, Bent blades are good(vs broken) IMHO. How did the ferrules hold up, did they still spin true?

I used to shoot NAPs, Spitfires & T-heads but I found most Aluminum ferrules had a 50/50 chance of bending on each animal as the threaded shank was the weak link...Aluminum inserts (vs carbon/plastic inserts) supported them better and improved the odds a bit, but as you've stated I just accepted it as "cost of doing business" until I was told about "steelheads" by a friend of mine named Bob Fromme. He shot them for years with low poundage bows to take "Large Dangerous" game, and swore by them.
I have one head that has been through 9 deer and 2 turkey and is as straight as ever. I wish more companies would make their ferrules out of steel instead of aluminum...
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1