How loud is a crankaroo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

How loud is a crankaroo

Post by BryanOney »

In my mind I imagine it being as loud as the crank used to pull an aluminum boat up on a trailer. How loud is it really. Would it frighten deer in the woods if I used it there. Thanks
vixenmaster

Re: How loud is a crankaroo

Post by vixenmaster »

It has pawl i don't think its as loud as a boat ratchet. I spect if'en the woods be real quiet they (deer) could hear it 150 yds. I cock mine as i am walkin to my stand in the early mornin darkness. I have never had a deer blow from hearin it
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

If it is like the C2 you can use it without the antireverse mechanism engaged, so it is silent.

That is how I do it since my hearing is not that good and if the C2 is silent I can hear the trigger mechanism engange and to know when to stop cranking.

Be very focused and cautious during this process and make sure you have a good grip on the handle until after the safety is engaged and you know it's ok to let the crank down.

Best wishes and good luck.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

To each his/her own, but i will have my pawl engaged cockin Kong. I like what fingers n thumbs i still have! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

bubba

Post by bubba »

vixenmaster wrote:To each his/her own, but i will have my pawl engaged cockin Kong. I like what fingers n thumbs i still have! :)
I heard that!!! but like said it can be done quietly...But I'm with vix, I care to much for my extremities to worry about a little noise........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
the elf

Post by the elf »

Not loud at all !----If you place your non cranking hand's fingers over the little
ratchet arm mechanism. No need to disengage the ratchet. Very safe and almost noiseless.
Been using this method since I got my original Crankaroo.
Works like a charm.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I crank mine with it disingaged so it's silent, but it's not a high poundage bow, it's an Exocet 200, but you still run a risk of busting up fingers, one time It got away from me and whacked my hand, hurt like hell but nothing broken lol you would think I would have learned.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Somewhere I read a deer can hear a car door shut at 1/2 mi and a twig the diameter of a pencil break at a 1/4 mi.

Loud is an opinion, lol. :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

awshucks wrote:Somewhere I read a deer can hear a car door shut at 1/2 mi and a twig the diameter of a pencil break at a 1/4 mi.

I have deaf n dumb deer n i love'm bein that way. Makes it easier fer this old fat man to kill them :lol:
Last edited by vixenmaster on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

awshucks

Post by awshucks »

vixenmaster wrote:
awshucks wrote:Somewhere I read a deer can hear a car door shut at 1/2 mi and a twig the diameter of a pencil break at a 1/4 mi.

I have deat n dumb deer n i love'm bein that way. Makes it easier fer this old fat man to kill them :lol:
Lol, how about some choc chip cookies for next month? Just for me???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dan how many dz ? choc. chippys
Half Bubble Off BD360

JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

vixenmaster wrote:Dan how many dz ? choc. chippys
You two are gonna make me get a glass of milk :lol: :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

vixenmaster wrote:Dan how many dz ? choc. chippys
I'll prolly munch a whole dozen by myself [4 @ day] but I won't run no trespassers off, lol.
Lake shooter

Re:

Post by Lake shooter »

People are always putting this or that on what deer can or can't do, because they heard it from someone who heard it from someone, and on and on. I mean no disrespect here either, but I go but with what I have seen happen. I once heard my BIL start his 4 wheeler, inside the shed with the rolldown door open, from almost a mile away in a thick creek bottom, but I have very good hearing and the wind was blowing my direction that day.

What the sound is makes MUCH more different than the decibel level! :shock: They don't give a hoot about a dead tree falling or widowmakers raining down, but I was trying to make a slight turn to get drawn on a buck once (ground hunting in the open with no blind), and my right knee made a pop. At 30 yards, that buck popped his head up from sniffing the ground and was on red alert, and had me pegged!!!!

Had the same thing type of thing happen with the first really BIG buck that I had coming way way. I was 25 feet up a hickory and the 20-30 mph SW wind was making all kind of noise with the trees swaying and rubbing on eaxh other, but they are used to that. When his head went behind a tree I stood to turn and draw. My stand made a very slight squeak and he stopped in his tracks at 25 yards, stood there for maybe 20 seconds and then decided to play it safe and head back where he came from! :oops:

I would have to guess that the sound of a ratchet clicking would put them on red alert, at least! Who knows from how far away? Best just not to make unnatural sounds period.
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Look, I crank mine to the cocked position before ever climbing, heck usually still in the back of my mule. Then I pull it up with a rope. Now, last year I missed a nice 8pt due to a low hanging vine / limb I could not see in the hollow, but even after that I was able to re-crank it with no issues in the stand with minimum noise, granted mine is a C2 crank, but I am sure they are about the same. Of course I did not wait 30 mins and crank it back, I cranked it right away, the crossbow had already made enough noise a couple of seconds of the crank would not matter.

Further more, while deer are very spooky to noise, a lot of it depends if you within any distance to homes etc. Even a mile or two, as deer get used to noises.

I hunted the woods of a Horse farm once, using my trusty Granny smith Marlin 30-30 I lay to rest 4 out of 5 does as the group filed past my stand (let the baby walk), after all they wanted them thinned. A any rate, not even 5 mins after all that shooting I had another doe smelling the one a laying near the creek. Not only that, less than 30 mins later I had a huge 6pt (coke can mass at the bases) standing directly in front of me. Know whee he went, Right down the trail the does took. It was trophy managed land therefore he was to small to take, took all I had not to shoot that big 6 lol. So, the noise really doesn't bother me as much where I hunt, but now if your in the deep woods 1000s of acres away from noises then, yeah a silent fart will probably scare them off. ;)

Just consider where you get to hunt then decide, as I have no qualms whatsoever using my crank. Heck, I'll make more noise getting my big butt up the tree than the crank will. ;)
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings