WHAT CH'ALL BE USIN FER UR TURKEY CALLS?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

WHAT CH'ALL BE USIN FER UR TURKEY CALLS?

Post by amythntr »

.....that be my question for the group...diaphragm, box, slate and brand...

.....I have purchased a few different mouth calls and am at the point where I no longer sound like a "hound in heat."

.....any recommendations on what you used to become proficient at what you use...

....I've hunted turkey for a couple of years many moons ago....but ....Bada Bing 8) applied for and won a couple of lotteries here in NJ so I am looking forward to bringing him out to work some wonders.....He said i will be responsible for the calling :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
W.Miguire

Re: WHAT CH'ALL BE USIN FER UR TURKEY CALLS?

Post by W.Miguire »

pick one and practice with it , it will seem like it will never come but it will . and if you can't ,one of the push ones works for a beginner .if you practice you might want to do it while driving to and from work . because you will drive everyone nuts . you will find that no one call works the best . it what the turkey wants . Primos sells a CD that helps a lot. good luck hunting . :) :)
W.M.
PS. if you lived closer I would help with you calling.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

W.Miguire wrote:pick one and practice with it , it will seem like it will never come but it will . and if you can't ,one of the push ones works for a beginner .if you practice you might want to do it while driving to and from work . because you will drive everyone nuts . you will find that no one call works the best . it what the turkey wants . Primos sells a CD that helps a lot. good luck hunting . :) :)
W.M.
PS. if you lived closer I would help with you calling.
.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you must me looking over my shoulder...I have what you suggested and listen to the CD every day to and from work while i practice....I AM driving everyone crazy...I love the mouth calls and have finally gotten used to them....thanks for the input WM....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

we have a Parrot so let your imagination take over, :lol: :lol: :lol: yes I just had to try it in the house . yah you guessed it . :lol:
W.M.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

W.Miguire wrote:we have a Parrot so let your imagination take over, :lol: :lol: :lol: yes I just had to try it in the house . yah you guessed it . :lol:
W.M.
...I even practice in the shower :shock: (no visuals as to many people would die laughing at a beached whale making turkey calls :lol: :lol: ) ...great acoustics...I figured it would prep me for if it rains :lol: :lol: :lol:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Big John

Post by Big John »

I use Pot Calls, Glass, Crystal, Slate, with many different strikers.
Then I have a few Box calls, and some other good calls.
I bring them all out with me everytime.
I like to sound like a flock of Hens when needed. I can go from loud answer calling to very quiet purring! Needed where I hunt.
But always get Birds.
Good Luck out there Anthony!
And everyone else on here, Have fun and Lots of luck this season coming.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]

Post by newbie »

Im with BJ on this, i use pot calls, have four or five in my pocket plus same amount of strikers, plus a dozen strikers placed strategically throughout the bush :shock: . I also hhave two box calls for the windy days they reach out well.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I gave up on everything but the diaphrams. No need to haul all the other stuff around. I buy two or three new diaphrams every year and have had great luck with them. I like the fact that volume wise I can get super loud and pull birds from 600-700 yards away no problem. This combined with a real Turkey tail in hand is all I use any more. I enjoy taking others out that have not had success. Most years I'm tagged out by mid morning day 2 of season. We have great abundance of birds, nothing to have 4-12 gobblers in decoys opening morning.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Mouth calls and pot calls for me! Will break out the box call sometimes
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
strum

Post by strum »

I use the Lynch Foolproof box and a Ben lee Super Hen slate..gradually I have moved to the mouth calls and although ill have the box and slate with me I find im using the mouth calls most.
so far out of the few I've tried I like the Flextone Lil Nasty. it has a small frame and works well in my mouth. sounds very natural.
one of the forum members gave me a beautiful box last year and it sounds better than the Lynch so I'll have it with me some also.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
njlungbuster

Post by njlungbuster »

amythntr wrote:.....that be my question for the group...diaphragm, box, slate and brand...

.....I have purchased a few different mouth calls and am at the point where I no longer sound like a "hound in heat."

.....any recommendations on what you used to become proficient at what you use...

....I've hunted turkey for a couple of years many moons ago....but ....Bada Bing 8) applied for and won a couple of lotteries here in NJ so I am looking forward to bringing him out to work some wonders.....He said i will be responsible for the calling :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey Anthony, reach out to Mike Koble(2barrel) on NJH. He's a custom call maker. I've got one of his slate over cherry pot calls and it sounds awesome. I'm going to buy a couple more of them(maybe glass over wormy maple and aluminum over walnut) as well as one of his beautiful box calls. His prices are very reasonable and he usually has at least one or two made and ready to ship. He'll even play them for you over the phone so you can get an idea of the way they sound and then choose. Let him know I recommended you.
Mike
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun May 10, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I'm a little "fuzzy" about what you do with this call....but i am impressed nonetheless....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Got a my go to glass/crystal call I've used for years. Doesn't matter what you use - call less watch more. You'll wack'em.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Never have been able to master the Mouth Call. I can yelp with it but that's about it. My go-to calls are Woodhaven slate and glass pot calls. Also use my 2 box calls a lot. We'll see how well they work in the morning. :mrgreen:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String