Hunting Report

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Hunting Report

Post by Hi5 »

Manitoba only allows crossbow hunting in the muzzleloader and rifle Big Game seasons. So, I had to use my compound bow in the current archery elk season.

Anyway, I managed to puncture a yearling cow with one of those sharp pointy sticks. I didn't have time for photos. We didn't find her till daylight the next morning. The meat's OK. Actually, that's not right. It's terrific.

This hunt was a test on the heart and the stomach.

The test on the heart was when I shot her at about 12 yards from my ladder stand, after waiting forever for her to step from behind some saplings. (The Excalibur would have been perfect here.) She must have been hard of hearing. I was vibrating from holding so long at draw, and my heart was thumping so hard and fast.

The test on my stomach was worrying all night that it might rain and wash away any blood trail. It didn't, but I sure tossed and turned all night worrying that it would. I also worried that the meat might be spoiled when we did find her. Thankfully it was a cool night and we found her right away. There was an obvious trail (except it wasn't obvious at night) that we picked up right after we got past the part we had tramped down looking for blood.

Last year I bought an expensive Ultra Violet flashlight. (You know, ultra violet light is supposed to make blood fluoresce.) It's very compact and very solidly made. If I ever make a trip to the Grand Canyon, I'll make a point of bringing it along. It's quite heavy so it should fly far. I'll throw it as far out into the canyon that my sore right arm will allow. I really don't want it to land directly into the water, though. I really want it to hit onto and bounce off lots of rocks on the way down. Maybe some ultra violet lights DO cause blood to fluoresce, but this sure isn't one of them.

I've even given some thought to taking my dog along on that Grand Canyon trip. I was so desperate to find my elk that I eventually got my dog and set her to sniffing where the elk had lay down. There was a pile of blood. She lapped it up. I thought "Hey, she'll want to find the source of that!" Well, she lead me in circles. I think it was circles. At night, on unfamiliar ground, under a cloudy sky, it's pretty hard to tell. I suspect she may have been following rabbit, although it might just have been our old tracks. You know, it's nice to be near something familiar, like the smell of your own pee (she did that often), or, maybe the smell of your master's sweat (he did a lot of that).

Come to think of it, she's too fat to throw very far. I'll get even with her some other way. I'm thinking I'll give her dry dog food and give all the elk table scraps to the neighbour's dogs. I'll even make her watch while I do it too. I might even pet his dogs just to really make her crazy.

Anyway, it was a good hunt.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GaryL

Re: Hunting Report

Post by GaryL »

In part
Hi5 wrote: I've even given some thought to taking my dog along on that Grand Canyon trip. I was so desperate to find my elk that I eventually got my dog and set her to sniffing where the elk had lay down. There was a pile of blood. She lapped it up. I thought "Hey, she'll want to find the source of that!" Well, she lead me in circles. I think it was circles. At night, on unfamiliar ground, under a cloudy sky, it's pretty hard to tell. I suspect she may have been following rabbit, although it might just have been our old tracks. You know, it's nice to be near something familiar, like the smell of your own pee (she did that often), or, maybe the smell of your master's sweat (he did a lot of that).

Come to think of it, she's too fat to throw very far. I'll get even with her some other way. I'm thinking I'll give her dry dog food and give all the elk table scraps to the neighbour's dogs. I'll even make her watch while I do it too. I might even pet his dogs just to really make her crazy.

Anyway, it was a good hunt.
No way to treat Man's best Friend Image :) The dog just might get even back :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
RJ not logged in

Post by RJ not logged in »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great story .... congrats on your elk !
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Hi5's good story, Now for the blood trailing. Get a Coleman Lantren. The one with the mantels that burn fuel. Hold it high and the blood will light up for ya. I have used them for many years and they work great.
. I bet she was good I'm hungery just thinking about her.
.I Think the grill will have to be fired up for lunch toady.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Great story. Remember when you throw that flashlight into the Grand Canyon......Let go of it. :lol: :cry:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

[/quote]

No way to treat Man's best Friend Image :) The dog just might get even back :twisted:[/quote]

GaryL

I read your post to my dog. I asked her if what I said had hurt her feelings. She wagged her tail in what I took to be a definite "Yes". I felt pretty bad about that.

I explained to her how she had disappointed me. I treat her so well, you know, and the distance we covered that night going in circles and smelling her pee spots was actually more than the elk travelled to where it expired. I asked her if she understood why I was so disappointed with her. She wagged her tail in what I again took to be a definite "Yes". I really started to like her once more.

I should have quit right there I guess. Anyway, I shouldn't have asked her if she would do the same thing again, because she wagged her tail the same darned way, and now I'm mad at her again.
Last edited by Hi5 on Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Hi5 wrote:
No way to treat Man's best Friend Image :) The dog just might get even back :twisted:[/quote]

GaryL

I read your post to my dog. I asked her if what I said had hurt her feelings. She wagged her tail in what I took to be a definite "Yes". I felt pretty bad about that.

I explained to her how she had disappointed me. I treat her so well, you know, and the distance we covered that night going in circles and smelling her pee spots was actually more than the elk travelled to where it expired. I asked her if she understood why I was so disappointed with her. She wagged her tail in what I took to be a definite "Yes". I really started to like her again.

I should have quit right there I guess. Anyway, I shouldn't have asked her if she would do the same thing again, because she wagged her tail the same darned way, and now I'm mad at her again.[/quote]

Well in that case she just might do this to ya!Image
Always learning!!
Home fer now!