Looking for Tips on Off Hand Shooting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Re: Looking for Tips on Off Hand Shooting

Post by VixChix »

amythntr wrote:
VixChix wrote:Just a nore for 3D shooters..... I'm pretty certain that you can't use the sling brace in competition.
....Moni... Why did I picture you with a big smile as you typed out this last post! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :)
Actually after I typed this I double checked the IBO and AMA rules. Yup it's not allowed.

At BooFest there's no need to fear the ladies. We're all just there for the same reasons everyone else is..... to have some fun and get to know each other.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

VixChix wrote:
amythntr wrote:
VixChix wrote:Just a nore for 3D shooters..... I'm pretty certain that you can't use the sling brace in competition.
....Moni... Why did I picture you with a big smile as you typed out this last post! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually after I typed this I double checked the IBO and AMA rules. Yup it's not allowed.

At BooFest there's no need to fear the ladies. We're all just there for the same reasons everyone else is..... to have some fun and get to know each other.
.......I am past fearing.... I am downright :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anthony :oops:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Okay, I think I see how this is all going so let me just get this outta the way before that fancy 3D shooting stuff at Boofest starts:
1) I was tired and jetlagged
2) I ate too much breakfast
3) I didn't eat enough breakfast
4) the sun was in my eyes
5) the heat in the car caused my string to stretch changing my b.h. and poi.
6) there was too much noise and too many distractions
......this list is not inclusive and I reserve the right to add to this list as well as use each valid point more than once. :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Moni, I checked the ARR rules and did not see any mention of any restrictions whatsoever....in fact those rules state, you can use just about anything you want if your ancestors came from Italy...in fact, the rules further state that, "if anyone tries to hinder said person of Italian descent, that said person or persons will be subject to":

l'occhio del diavolo!....translated into english that means you would be subject to:

....the "evil eye"........a very serious offence which could result in disqualification from the competition because said person or persons might be running to the bathroom an awful lot! :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Tom

Post by Tom »

Paul, you forgot the most common "excuse",
I ate too many of those great cookies.

The next best excuse is:
I was always taught to treat a lady with kindness, so you do not beat them. Also husbands know that a happy wife leads to.............

A happy life :D :D

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tom wrote:Paul, you forgot the most common "excuse",
I ate too many of those great cookies.

The next best excuse is:
I was always taught to treat a lady with kindness, so you do not beat them. Also husbands know that a happy wife leads to.............

A happy life :D :D

Tom
Tom, I'm smellin what yer cookin. Not excuses though, valid points of consideration. As for the cookies, I've heard so much about them I'm hoping I'm invited to try one. :mrgreen: Have you heard the saying, "Before a man is married he's incomplete......Once he's married he's finished!" :lol:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

paulaboutform wrote:
Tom, I'm smellin what yer cookin. Not excuses though, valid points of consideration. As for the cookies, I've heard so much about them I'm hoping I'm invited to try one. :mrgreen: Have you heard the saying, "Before a man is married he's incomplete......Once he's married he's finished!" :lol:

Paul

Now that's funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
CoastalBee

Post by CoastalBee »

I just got into crossbow shooting this spring, have done a lot of practicing, and have been putting up very encouraging 3d scores lately; so I'll humbly share a few tips I haven't read here yet that I believe have helped me:

-I had to send my scope back under warranty, so while it was gone it gave me a chance to 'sight' down the rail and through the empty scope rings without the benefit of adjusting the scope settings to compensate for my eye being out of alignmenment with a straight trajectory down the rail. With no scope, I'd recommend finding an comfortable, ergonomic, repeatable stance and rest for your face/shoulder that allows you see straight through those scope rings. That way the lenses in the scope aren't having to compensate for your own lack of alignment. For me and my m330, it meant putting the optional excalibur cheek rest about 1/2" back from the factory drilled pilot hole, new scope rings that put the scope about 1/4" higher on the mount, and then sliding the scope towards the rear so my eye relief is pretty close to my eye (or glasses in my case). When I sight through the scope I try to ensure the lens is floating centered (vertically + horizontally) in the larger shell of the scope sillouette.

This, in theory, should minimize how much the scope is compensating for your own misalignment and be a consistently repeatable viewing/shooting position which hopefully gives more consistent results.

-I too share your issue of bad shoulders (both torn rotator cuffs), but what has helped me to stabilize the crossbow from the offhand position is doing excercises of holding a brick (standard red masonry type) up in my left hand at the same height as the crossbow stock would be in the offhand shooting position. Just like a physio exercise, I slowly raise the brick up to 'shooting' position, hold it for as long as comfortable, and then slowly lower my arm. Variations include slow up/down motions at end of comfortable lift, circular motions, and ranging side to side at 'shooting' height. My shoulders throb like hell (in a background to life kind of way) when I'm diligent in doing the exercises, but when I'm standing there aiming at a 3d shoot I'm far more stable.

Ok, so that was probably way more text than was necessary, but that's what I have to contribute to the conversation.

Good luck!
Matrix 330
Twilight DLX
18" Diablo's w/ Blazers
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to the forum Ben! Great to see you posting here.!

Folks, I had the pleasure of meeting Ben after the last 3D shoot I attended. If he comes to BooFest LOOK OUT! He's the guy who's going to clean up at the 3D!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....well that was some introduction Ben (took the liberty from the added intro of VixChix)...I am very appreciative of your ideas....I like the brick approach...am definitely going to use it.....

...nice to have you aboard the forum...if you do come to Boofest I look forward to meeting you...

...a lot of great people here so don't be a stranger!

ANthony :)

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Just like hunting . Aim small , hit small . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
gtj

Post by gtj »

I like all these great suggestions.
Things I might add to suggest to try.
I setup my scope mounting to when sighting through the scope I have the lens reticle centered (vertically + horizontally) in the larger shell of the scope silhouette, like a circle inside a circle view. (similar to peep sight and sight housing on a vertical bow)
Also rather than watching through the scope, the arrow traveling through the air towards the target, I prefer to concentrate your look at your aiming point until the arrow impacts. Shooting with both eyes open makes this easier.
Try not to punch the trigger when the sight happens to go over the aiming point. Instead let it float a little so you are not all tensed up trying to get the perfect shot. As the sight picture floats in a small area through the aiming point squeeze the trigger in a manner that the shot is a surprise. Practice holding so your sight floats in an ever decreasing sized area.
Excalibur Matrix 380
18" BE Zombies Lumenok 150gr. BAT Bolt Cutters
22" BE Zombies Lumenok Magnus Bullheads
Hawke XB30 SR
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Try shooting your crossbow with this Excalibur accessory Anthony. You may like it. I have it on both my crossbows and love it.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:Try shooting your crossbow with this Excalibur accessory Anthony. You may like it. I have it on both my crossbows and love it.

....NEPAbowhunter....both "Jelly Belly"....and ....Bada Bing 8) are both equipped with the TAC PAC kit.... :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings