New member with Matrix 330 question ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

New member with Matrix 330 question ?

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Hi , I go by Gene Carroll [ not L.E. as show in my avatar.. I should of thought about that before registering ] :roll: I'm retired 64 years young but with some shoulder and upper arm ussues from repairing rail road cars for 29 1/2 years..

This issue has caused me to switch from 50 years as a traditional archer and bow hunter over to an Excalibur seeing as it too is a recurve :wink:

In making this decision to continue enjoying archery season for Elk and mule deer here in WA. state versus Modern and Muzzle Loading seasons... [ I'm set up for both of those] and with a limited but steady income and physical limitations I bought a Matrix 330 package at cabellas for great price [ $640 after vet's discout & 10% off.] and it's pretty easy to draw even with my limitations.

Now, in reading all of the speed and distance topics mentioned here, I'm not sure how much distance I can realistically look at in hunting situations for both Deer and Elk ? I'm am extermely accurate to 50 yds. and have robin-hooded and destroyed a couple at 40 yds. off a bench and rest . I'm using 415 gn. total wt FMJ's at 16" and 18" 400 gn. Diablos, both with fieldpoints to get to a similar weights { at least 400 gns. as suggested by E-xcal} and still getting 321-327 fps.

I will be using 100 gn G5 Montecs with the FMJ's and 125 also G5's with the Diablos to maintain this weight relation , while staying as close to 400 gn's as I can get them.

If the conditions are right and the animals not allert and being broadside or better yet slightly "facing away" and I have some type of rest handy, I'm looking for range suggestion from those actually using a 330 fps bow ?

All help and suggestions appreciated. Thanx, Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Re: New member with Matrix 330 question ?

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome Sir, and I think 40 yards and maybe more are realistic provided you feel good about your abilities. Remember, very few vertical bows get advertised speeds with deductions for this, and that. That bow will with 350 grains, so you should transition over just fine.
Good luck, look forward to reading your success stories! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum Sir. I personally believe that with the proper setup, ie. a good quality fixed blade like a magnus buzzcut or qad exodus, and your bow will certainly be able to take down elk size game out to 60yards. That's with the understanding that this distance must be within your personal effective range. Meaning the range you can place your shot into a pie plate size target 100% of the time.
As far as your current setup, I suggest getting sighted in to 60yards then test the broadheads out to that range. I would personally set up with one arrow combination rather than putting different arrows in my quiver. Definitely test your broadheads before attempting to use them in the woods. Again, welcome. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Welcome aboard and congrats on a fine bow!! I would recommend getting a set of 6 or 12 arrows from one of the premium arrow builders and shooting spots not groups. I like your choice of arrow weight, I like between 400 and 440 grain for hunting. I get my splinters from South Shore Archery Jerry is as good as there is. I would also invest in a flemish string from one of the fine string builders here on this site, or Danny Miller here in the US.

I would then do as recommended here get some good fixed blade broadheads and dial it in. With one of the fine scopes from Zeiss, Leupold, Hawk, or Tenpoint you will have the ability to set it and forget it, with aiming points in 10 yard increments out to 60 to 100 yards depending on the scope you choose. Good Luck and enjoy, you picked one of the best hunting crossbows built, Excalibur is all I own after trying several different makes from compounds to RDT, to the most dependable bows on the market,,,,,,Excalibur!!! again,,,,GOOD LUCK!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Welcome to the camp!
ya got some great advice above. yer basically shooting what i get out of my 355 . . . no problem w/ penetration! :wink:

-ken

. . . again welcome!
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Seafermiles

Post by Seafermiles »

One other thing that I just experienced is that you can hand it over to a non-archer and not be ashamed of it. Last night a friend of mine shot my M330 and he was definitely impressed and wants to shoot it again sometime. He is a fairly avid handgun long gun guy and I think he was surprised with his shots. Only 20yd and freehand and he got a two inch group. We talked last night on a 10m net and he asked some questions, and I told him I still have those same eight arrows. Bullets disappear and so does your money.
You will have a time of it with your M330. Lots of interest in that particular bow.
Good Luck
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard Gene.
Glad you were finally able to figure out your login issue. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum.. And congrats on your new Excalibur crossbow, the 330 is one fine bow. X2 on getting some custom built arrows from South Shore Archery or from Big John here on the forum, other than that you seem to have all looking good.. I too have shoulder and arm problems that lead me to crossbows, but now that i am here.... I love it.... Sure you will too. Again welcome to the forum...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
bgarchery

Post by bgarchery »

Hey Gene,
Some good advice here. It almost goes without saying but the speeds you're getting with the weight bolt you're shooting is pretty comparable to what vertical bow hunters get. Its all about shot placement and your personal comfort range. You cover those bases, the Excal will do the rest!
Woody's Sporting Goods-Helping our customers get the most out of their hunting season with sales and service for ALL their bowhunting needs!!!