Older Model Excals and the Height Challenged Shooter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Older Model Excals and the Height Challenged Shooter

Post by amythntr »

....I know that there are a lot of you with older model Excals...and some of the forum members are not even frequenting this sight because anymore because of the shift to the Matrix' and the Micros....

.....my question is, "before the Matrix series of a few years back...what did height challenged people do?"....I find that at 5'4" that the 380 pull is about at my max....

..... I guess the one option was the use of the cocking devise....were there any other methods?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
DaveShooter

Re: Older Model Excals and the Height Challenged Shooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I think I understand your question- #1 I don't strong arm cock a crossbow any more not unless it be a Excal 90 lb Apex because the rope cocking aid makes it a heck of a lot easy and keeps the string centered in the latch area. You can take the Excal Exmax and sit in a chair or on the ground and place the stock to your side and use your legs an cocking rope aid to cock the bow with. Heck I'm not that much taller than you are I'm 5'9". If you hold the handles of the rope cocker with straight arm method and use cyour legs as the legs are one of the strongest muscles in the Human body. Or #2 use the Crank-a-roo not the C2 model one before the C2 always works- Hope that answered your question :D
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

AT the bottom left of the page is the "Selecting The Right Crossbow" item you can click on. I remember that is what I did. It has been updated now, but back then it had only the older models. If I remember right the 225lb bows would have been an "X" for 5'4" and the 200lb bows probably were a "?". 175lb bows would have been a go. I'm only 5'7" AND A HALF!!! :lol: and have zero issues with the Vortex.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

In cycling we have a saying HTFU :mrgreen: I got 5 foot nothing buddy that has shot exomags for years no problem. Just shorten pulley string and eat more spinach.
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

amythntr wrote:....I know that there are a lot of you with older model Excals...and some of the forum members are not even frequenting this sight because anymore because of the shift to the Matrix' and the Micros....

.....my question is, "before the Matrix series of a few years back...what did height challenged people do?"....I find that at 5'4" that the 380 pull is about at my max....

..... I guess the one option was the use of the cocking devise....were there any other methods?

Do you mean the length of the stock or the rail causing issue ? I have the opposite problem of being to tall at 6 7 . I find the traditional stocks to be short but workable and the thumbhole stocks to be unusably short . I've heard the matix thumb hole stocks have a longer lop but I have not handled one .

the rail on my vixen is short enough to give me fits at times getting the rope on . I tend to just cock my vixen by hand if only taking a dozen shots or so .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

MI Yeti wrote:
amythntr wrote:....I know that there are a lot of you with older model Excals...and some of the forum members are not even frequenting this sight because anymore because of the shift to the Matrix' and the Micros....

Do you mean the length of the stock or the rail causing issue ? I have the opposite problem of being to tall at 6 7 . I find the traditional stocks to be short but workable and the thumbhole stocks to be unusably short . I've heard the matix thumb hole stocks have a longer lop but I have not handled one .

the rail on my vixen is short enough to give me fits at times getting the rope on . I tend to just cock my vixen by hand if only taking a dozen shots or so .

....both!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Hunt it wrote:In cycling we have a saying HTFU :mrgreen: I got 5 foot nothing buddy that has shot exomags for years no problem. Just shorten pulley string and eat more spinach.
X2 , Anthony. I'm a wee bit short and shot an Exomax for a long time. Shorten the rope cocker( you can pick up the string easier on the older Exo series bows than a Mattix or Micro), and git after it! :D The Exomax isn't nearly as strong to cock as a Micro, it's just longer.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

5'7"
Equinox

Had to shorten the cooking rope considerability in order to pre cock quite a bit.
Then start slightly to the side of stock rotating to the center in the final stages of the pull.
Get a slight belly bruise after repeated long shooting session from the butt end.
(Wife says its Too Many Beers over the years is to blame) Oh Well!

Once I start the draw on the cocking rope there can be no hesitation what-so-ever until fully cooked.

If I was any shorter than the Equinox would be a no go.
There will come time in the near future as age creeps up on me that I can see a micro nightmare in the cards.
Sooner than later for sure.

Love the Equinox thou.
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by newbie »

If Mr Boo could cock the exo series anyone could :mrgreen:
seriously though they were a breeze to cock once you shortened the rope enough.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

newbie wrote:Iffen Mr Boo could cock the exo series anyone could :mrgreen:
Are you suggesting he is a bit vertically challenged.

I hear Snake Skin Platform Shoes from the 70 's make it possible.

amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I was wondering where my," Stayin Alive" shoes went! :shock: :shock:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I am 5'4" 145# old & beat up.
I learned right away to pre-load the limbs with the rope before cocking to make things easier. From my understanding these shorter Matrix are a bit tougher to cock than the older models because of all the torque on the final couple inches of cocking.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Post by newbie »

colouredchameleon wrote:
newbie wrote:Iffen Mr Boo could cock the exo series anyone could :mrgreen:
Are you suggesting he is a bit vertically challenged.

I hear Snake Skin Platform Shoes from the 70 's make it possible.

Hey he had those on last time i was at his place! How did you get them off for the picture?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Tom

Post by Tom »

colouredchameleon wrote:5'7"
Equinox
Then start slightly to the side of stock rotating to the center in the final stages of the pull.
Get a slight belly bruise after repeated long shooting session from the butt end.
Love the Equinox thou.
Please people, it is a SAFETY HAZARD to have your "belly or chest" behind the stock when cocking the bow.

If your foot were to slip out of the sturip, the power loaded into the bow will be transfered into your belly or chest. I understand the newer models with larger sturips, there is a less chance of having your boot slip out, but it can still happen. I do know some shooters which had broken ribs from this.

I still hand cock my 150lb model for every shot. My dad hand cocked his his Mag by hand until he was 74. He started using a rope cocker when target shooting, now uses it even for hunting, he will be 84 this July.

If you learn the proper tec then cocking is much easier. Always, your legs should be doing most of the work. This does mean that the "longer power stroke bows" will become more difficult just because your leg power stroke is not long enough (if your height challenged).

I have not had the oppertunity to cock the newer model bows by hand, but others have told me, the shorter power strokes let your legs do more of the work so it feels easier to cock then the higher poundage/longer power stroke bows.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

In working with new women xbow shooters we shorten the cocking aid rope and I have them cock the bow with the stock next to their thigh/hip. Usually the right side if they're right handed. I've watched some pretty short ladies quite capably cock the older style bows.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.