what broadhead?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

what broadhead?

Post by xbowrook »

okay, as you seen in my other post, I got my new custom strings from xcaliber ( thanks again) and this bow is looking so sweet ... absolutely love it.. now, I am going to start the search for a mechanical broadhead.. been wanting to try the rage hypodermic's , heard great things.. also heard some good things about NAP broadheads.. now, I currently have 125 grain field tips on, thinking of going to 100 grain... what's your guys/gals take of this? based on the specs in the manual, with 125 grain's it brings my bolt weight up to 390 grains, meaning I should be around 290 fps and 73 lb / KE... wondering if I should leave it or go to 100 grain.. so many choices, just not sure what you guys and gals are having success with.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
UPSMAN

Re: what broadhead?

Post by UPSMAN »

I don't want to rain on your party but maybe you should look for a fixed blade head that flies like your field points. A lot of great heads out there and a lot less to go wrong.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I prefer something the same weight as my target tips that flies like a target tip so I don't need to tweak anything when I'm ready to hunt.

JMO
Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

True words there, and I was the in that same thought pattern for quite a while after a failed mechanical brodhead shot on a very nice buck. I will say that it was probably my fault for bumping the bow pretty hard and not checking the head! It was a Rage, and prior to that I had killed several deer without issue, as did a few hunting buddies. I recently tried several maechanicals again, and got a good tip from Anthony here on performance, and where to get them for a great price. I put a few through the ringer on the range, no issues with blow opened blades, and field point accuracy from the bench. NAP Spitfire Maxx 100 grains, 4 pack for the 3 pack price from Dick's Sporting Goods! I will hunt with them this fall, and I am certain they will do well.
Fixed heads are better then ever in some cases. Magnus seems to be high on the list of many here, Montecs from G5, and all the Slick Trick heads seem to put game down quickly, and my favorite fixed head, NAP Tunderheads! I go back to them all the time, never let me down!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

With the factory arrows, I like to stay with 150 grains... Boltcutters or Slick Tricks work for me.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

X2 for the Slick Tricks, nothing to go wrong and they shoot with my field points out to 40 yds. That is far as I have tried them. Dave
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

G5 Strikers fly great out to 100yrds out of my 380. Dropped a lot of big old hogs and moose. Never busted one yet, a tough head.
galamb

Post by galamb »

We all have our favourites and all have stories about the one that worked and the one that didn't. And of course there is somebody else out there that had the exact "opposite" experience.

I shot fixed heads for a lot of years with my recurve and my first two crossbows mostly because 20 to 30 years back the early mechanicals were less than reliable, failed often etc.

Today's mechanicals from the major mfg's have been tweaked, re-tweaked, re-engineered, re-worked and are made with stainless steel, aluminum alloys, titanium on and on and if you as the shooter do your part ALL will be more than sufficient for anything you ask of them.

So while I have my favourites and while you couldn't pay me to shoot any Rage product from my crossbow, those are just my choices.

80% of a broadheads effectiveness lies in whether YOU believe in it. I don't trust Rage heads to properly deploy nor get the penetration I'm looking for and that would be all I was thinking of if one tipped my bolt and the buck of a lifetime stepped out - not a good situation to be in.

And while for 99 other guys in the same place they would bet the farm on them, I'm in the 1% that wouldn't.

Find a couple of heads that intrigue you or you think are cool or have snagged you with the glossy ads and shoot them. Shoot the actual head at your target, not the target inserts or the fieldpoints that are supposedly matched.

Shoot them on sunny days, rainy days, windy days, warm/cold, in shirt sleeves and heavy hunting clothes.

If you can put them into an area the size of the vitals of what you intend to shoot from various shooting positions in any kind of weather then the head will work "for you" - regardless of what others say...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Graham, you mean my Spitfires and Toxics are NOT the ABSOLUTE BEST BH's out there? :lol: :lol: :lol:

....all kidding aside...what Graham said is 200% correct, YOU have to try a few different ones and see for yourself...rare is the person that picks up a BH, shoots it, kills with it, loves it and never looks elsewhere....

....many a hunter's tackle box is full of the "BH of the day" collection...

.....I bought a package of 4 different BH's to try....one fell apart in my hand, in the garbage it went, sold the other two I didn't want, settled in on the Spitfire MAXX, went back to one I sold...so yes you have to try them out....

....we have a bunch of great people on this forum....if $'s are the issue, reach out, there might be someone on this forum who will ship some out to you for FREE...

....good luck in the quest for "perfection!"

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

I like the g5 montecs and strikers. They fly great and very sharp. Good luck!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

galamb wrote:We all have our favourites and all have stories about the one that worked and the one that didn't. And of course there is somebody else out there that had the exact "opposite" experience.

I shot fixed heads for a lot of years with my recurve and my first two crossbows mostly because 20 to 30 years back the early mechanicals were less than reliable, failed often etc.

Today's mechanicals from the major mfg's have been tweaked, re-tweaked, re-engineered, re-worked and are made with stainless steel, aluminum alloys, titanium on and on and if you as the shooter do your part ALL will be more than sufficient for anything you ask of them.

So while I have my favourites and while you couldn't pay me to shoot any Rage product from my crossbow, those are just my choices.

80% of a broadheads effectiveness lies in whether YOU believe in it. I don't trust Rage heads to properly deploy nor get the penetration I'm looking for and that would be all I was thinking of if one tipped my bolt and the buck of a lifetime stepped out - not a good situation to be in.

And while for 99 other guys in the same place they would bet the farm on them, I'm in the 1% that wouldn't.

Find a couple of heads that intrigue you or you think are cool or have snagged you with the glossy ads and shoot them. Shoot the actual head at your target, not the target inserts or the fieldpoints that are supposedly matched.

Shoot them on sunny days, rainy days, windy days, warm/cold, in shirt sleeves and heavy hunting clothes.

If you can put them into an area the size of the vitals of what you intend to shoot from various shooting positions in any kind of weather then the head will work "for you" - regardless of what others say...
Well said! I have shot many good fixed and mechanicals and have never had issues with flight or failure. That said, I have fixed and mechanical favorites which are based on ease of blade sharpening / ease of blade replacement!!

I currently shoot 110 Gn Spitfires and Montecs for these reasons however I still have Muzzy's and RAges which I would use in a pinch.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

I was thinking the other day, Excalibur needs to have Innerloc make a 150 grain mechanical with an 1 1/2" cut.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

thanks guys.. I have used both fixed and mechanical.. had good and bad for both.. I like the idea of the mechanical ( especially since all the advancements) over the fixed due to possible planning... I like some of the reviews on the rage, NAP and grim reapers.. going to look into them.. money isn't a huge issue, just don't want to start buying all the heads just to try them and find out it's gonna cost me $100's to get the perfect one.. I actually like coming here to get advice, I was going to get into the schwacker's but heard they are causing issues hitting the insert and shaft causing issues.. I am going to talk to my archery shop owner Kevin ( G & K Archery in wallaceburg), he is very knowledgeable and always helps me with these things.. thanks all... will let you know what I decide to go with.. going to talk to him about the tracer nocks from Easton as well.. I like that you can use the magnet to turn them on and off... one of the biggest things I found with other nocks is that while target shooting, they always activate.. like I can turn these off or deactivate them to target shoot, then activate them when I want them to light up...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

I am actually leaning towards the Excalibur Exact mechanical blades..
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

xbowrook wrote:I am actually leaning towards the Excalibur Exact mechanical blades..

....funny, I really have heard NOTHING regarding their effectiveness; pro or con!

Report back if you give them a whirl!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings