lantern for finding blood trails

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple

lantern for finding blood trails

Post by maple »

In a post by Hi5, the guys were talking about lights for detecting blood trails in the dark.

Hi5 says his Ultra Violet light does not work, and Davehawk says:

"Hi5's good story, Now for the blood trailing. Get a Coleman Lantren. The one with the mantels that burn fuel. Hold it high and the blood will light up for ya. I have used them for many years and they work great. "

Does a Coleman propane lantern work as well? 'Cause that's all I have.

I've also heard there's a spray you can buy that makes blood fluoresce under white light. Are those worth while?

This is one of my challenges. Trailing hit deer in the dark is something I have no training and little experience with. So any suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Maple
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

maple,

I only ever had to track one deer in the dark. It was also in the rain. NOT AN EASY TASK!!!! I had a mag light, but the most important tool was my hand. Since it was raining, everything was wet, so I touched the leaves where there wasen't a stong blood trail. Just kept checking and drying my hand until I picked up the trail again. Found the deer in a flooed swamp 100 yards away.

Most important thing to do is to GO SLOW and when you find blood, mark it in case you loose the trail.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
gad

Post by gad »

I have listened that a light that have a blue lenses or even a blue lamp or led mark better the blood trails cause the high contrast between the two colors.

This info was taken from the www.candlepowerforums.com
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I don't know about the propane lanterns, but the old style whitegas lanterns sure do help.

Coleman makes a reflector that will direct the light where it is needed and not back into your eyes.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I thought I had all the bases covered when I started loking for my elk. I had a Maglight with their blue lens filter. I had my UV flashlight, and I had my dog.

NONE of them worked worth a hoot. I didn't expect the lights to make a huge improvement; I would have been happy with SOME improvement, though.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

If the trail is fresh, have someone walk ahead & shine a light back along the ground towards you. The wet blood will show up. Be sure to mark the last spot with something, so you can go back if you lose the trail. I've done this a couple times when I shot one at dusk & had to trail it up.
AIROHS

Post by AIROHS »

NOTHING BEATS THE OLD LANTERN :lol:
EXOMAXXED and LOVING it