Bolt/Arrow recommendations? Kind of a noob

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

colty31

Bolt/Arrow recommendations? Kind of a noob

Post by colty31 »

I bought my Eclipse XT used on eBay last year. It came with a bunch of stuff, some I kept and some I sold and switched out. I kept the bolts and have been using them exclusively. I am currently shooting 20 inch Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streaks, according to specs online they are 380 grains. My field points/broadheads are the same weight but I'm not sure if they're 125 or 150.

My question: I only have 5 bolts at the moment and they are starting to show some wear. Should I buy more of these Blue Streaks or are there better/cheaper options out there? I know that bolt choice is a preference type deal but I'd still like to hear some opinions.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Eclipse XT/Truglo Red 3-Dot/Vixenmaster string (Gator)
xcaliber

Re: Bolt/Arrow recommendations? Kind of a noob

Post by xcaliber »

Black Eagles! Zombie Slayers are my choice, and Executioners are right in there as well. There are as you stated many choices, and I'm sure many opinions, this is my opinion. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-2 on the Zombies and Executioners. And i, and a lot of members get theirs from South Shore Archery , He makes the perfect arrow for you, the way you want it. Check him out on the web or give him a call.... And good luck with your new bow....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have always made my own, I can make them perfect as far as weight and consistency goes, but not pretty.
A year or two ago I approached Big John on this forum to make arrows as a gift for my son, John made the most amazing arrows I have seen, built on Zombie shafts. They have my son's name embedded in wraps, Luminocks and the FOC exactly as I requested.
I don't know if he is still doing arrows, but if so, they come highly recommended.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

xcaliber wrote:Black Eagles! Zombie Slayers are my choice, and Executioners are right in there as well. There are as you stated many choices, and I'm sure many opinions, this is my opinion. :wink:
X2! Because you aren't shooting a high poundage bow I would also recommend calling Jerry at South Shore Archery and inquiring about the Black Eagle Spinal Tapps. I bought some on sale from Jerry and they're being shot from a Vortex and Exomax. I made them up myself and can tell you they are fantastic and absolute tack drivers.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
galamb

Post by galamb »

If you stick to a bolt from one of the big brand name mfg's it's kinda tough to go wrong.

Depending on "how" you use your bow there would be little benefit (if we are being honest) between the bulk Carbon Express bolts that you can pick up for $4/each and the $10 a piece "high end" bolts.

What is vastly more important is to use the same brand/weight/circumference with the same weight tip, same vanes, nocks, inserts etc.

That is what will allow you "consistency".

Once you have sighted for a particular combination if you change "anything" about that you are back to "re-tuning".

I normally buy my bolts in a lot of a dozen (regardless of what I'm shooting).

I then shoot then number all of them and shoot them all. Even with everything being the same, a few of them may group differently, you may have a consistent flier or whatever. I then select the best grouping arrows (whether it be 4, 5 or whatever) as my "hunting" arrows, the rest become "target" arrows and if one or two is just all over the place they may get re-fletched to see if that does anything for them.

With the lower powered (slower) older-school type bows don't get sucked in to the glossy ad's about uber-small vanes, wicked thin shafts etc etc. They might work for you or they may shoot way more erratic.

Your bow was "engineered" to shoot Firebolt's (which were the same as Easton C3's before they renamed them). So if you are not into a lot of trial/error, that would a decent bolt to replace your current with.

I shoot a Vix II and Gold Tip Laser II's are my bolt of choice. I could go "higher end" (designed for better/stronger/faster bows) but it would kinda be like putting premium gas in my truck - the added cost would far outweigh any benefit I would see.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
colty31

Post by colty31 »

thanks guys, I think I'm going to buy some Executioners tonight :D
colty31

Post by colty31 »

who is Joe Downing? He spammed my email telling me to check out Deer Crossing arrows.

why not post here?
bubba

Post by bubba »

I have no idea who he is.. and i would stay far away.. Don't sound good to me at all, and have never heard of such arrows....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
colty31

Post by colty31 »

"I saw your post on Excalibur forums. If you haven’t bought the BEE’s yet, take a look at Deer Crossing arrows. To me, they are as well made and accurate (I have shot both). They are a newer company that got off to a rocky start with crossbow shooters because of one guy getting some poorly fletched arrows and making a big deal of it all over the internet.

If you decide to try them, code Joe53 is good for 10% off any order.

I shoot the .003 straightness arrows myself. For hunting out to 40 yards or so, I can’t tell any significant difference between them and the .001 arrows. Just can’t justify the cost of less than a hair width in straightness.

Good luck, and have fun!"

^^This is what he sent me, obviously spamming and even giving me his personal discount code in which he will prob get a percentage.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

He's completely harmless. i think he might have a stake in the company, and he has been pushing them for a while. I have had a conversation or two with him some time ago, but the arrows I hear are just OK at best!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Just as a note....
Dan aka; xcalibur who's been giving you advise in the above post here, makes some of the very best custom arrows and custom strings available for our crossbows & let me add at the best prices I have found,,,I am using both his Zombie Slayers and custom string with more arrows to come as soon as the next retirement check comes in.. :P

He knows what he's talking about when giving advise on arrows. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Just as a note....
Dan aka; xcalibur who's been giving you advise in the above post here, makes some of the very best custom arrows and custom strings available for our crossbows & let me add at the best prices I have found,,,I am using both his Zombie Slayers and custom string with more arrows to come as soon as the next retirement check comes in.. :P

He knows what he's talking about when giving advise on arrows. :wink:

Gene
....TRU DAT!...TRU DAT!

....I have bought both strings AND Executioner/Zombie Slayer shafts from him....Dan is 100% above board and a great guy...great prices and fast service...would highly recommend!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I bought DEER CROSSING ARROWS at a discount price when they were first advertised on another Archery Forum(Crossbow Nation).The arrows shot pretty well considering how cheap I bought them for at the time.I wouldn't shoot them for hunting but,for just basic target shooting and practice they worked fine.They are a carbon arrow.The last time I checked their website,everything had changed and the prices went up plus I couldn't find the type of arrows I originally bought.I still have about a dozen of the original arrows but never shoot them since I set my bow up for shooting Eastons' aluminum arrows(2219).