Matrix 330 changing POI

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nannyhammer

Matrix 330 changing POI

Post by nannyhammer »

Question time….. I’ve been practicing with my Matrix 330 to get more familiar before season. Love the bow but still learning the ins, outs of a recurve style. The bow is still set up to factory specs to include the string. Currently shooting 18” Gold Tip Laser II Pro shafts, high helical Blazer vane, aluminum flat nocks and 110grn Brass inserts. All shots taken standing up resting bow on shooting sticks. When I started shooting today the string needed a few more twists as usual, in fact brace height dropped ¼” with the bow setting in my bedroom closet. The last session everything was pretty solid out to 50yds. Today 20/30yds were spot on, but 40yds it was 4” high and about 8” high at 50yds from the last session. Groups were consistent (>3" at 50yds) just not at the previous POI. Checked after shooting and everything is tight to include the scope and speed ring was still set from last session.Can readjusting the brace height change the POI that much?
xcaliber

Re: Matrix 330 changing POI

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds like the scope might be getting a glitch. Reset it, and see if it holds. Changing the brace height a small amount as you stated will not make that dramatic of a change in POI. Make sure scope mount is not loose by really putting some force to it trying to move it up, and down. If you reset, and then it goes off again, scope is probably bad.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I would suggest switching to Black Eagle Arrows for more consistency . Either Executioners or Zombie Slayers . JMO
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I would agree with what excaliber says. If everything was cool last time you shot and this session is a big change in POI, I would check the scope, and everything else while you're at it, including trigger screws. I've never known a change in brace height to make that dramatic of a change in POI. Sounds like you've got something else going on.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

CK all ring screws/mounts screws, trigger assembly screws on the inside. Plus the stock screws they all can cause those aim pts the shift
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Check that the scope has not slipped in the rings.
May seem tight to touch but just loose enough to allow it to slip ever so slightly with each shot.
May notice marks on scope near rings.
Recoil on crossbow is much greater than one thinks unlike rifle with straight back recoil. The crossbow recoil is forward and backward therefore not as noticeable but quit dramatic never the less.

Think of it as when an axe or hammer head slips on the handle even when it appears tight . The quick fix results from tapping the butt of the handle on solid surface to shock or slip it back in place. The shock of the recoil can do the same to your scope inside what appears to be tight secure rings
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

My money is on a loose screw. Maybe a faulty scope. I would shoot from a bench rest just to be sure. Never hurts to be rock solid when you are trouble shooting a problem.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

UPSMAN wrote:My money is on a loose screw. Maybe a faulty scope. I would shoot from a bench rest just to be sure. Never hurts to be rock solid when you are trouble shooting a problem.
As mentioned, shoot from a bench off a solid rest. Check your scope mount screws, better yet, physically check all the fasteners with a wrench. If that doesn't help I'd suspect the scope not holding zero. Be sure to check your trigger screws as well.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nannyhammer

Post by nannyhammer »

All, thanks for the inputs so far. I've checked every screw that can be found with zero found loose. The thing shoots great at 20/30yds but shoots high at 40/50yds. No real slop in the left to right it's just the elevation. Groups at 40/50yds are consistent just higher than they should be. Arrows look to be flying clean without any noticeable fishtailing or porpoising. Also the bow was shot several times over the chrono and averages 318-322fps. I currently have the speed ring set at the "5" on the "325" mark. Hope it's not the scope since this will be the second one. Should be able to mess with it more on Friday.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Try turning your variable power (slightly) "UP" above 325 to drop your 40-50 POI.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
strum

Post by strum »

Normous wrote:Try turning your variable power (slightly) "UP" above 325 to drop your 40-50 POI.
if you 40-50 yard shots are hitting the same point of impact (even if they are higher than you remember) with each shot then Norm is spot on with this one.
something loose should show up at 20-30 yards also.
youll need to adjust your speed ring to lower your longer shots . this may change you 20 yards POA a small amount so youll have to play with it a little.
Also screws that get over looked the most are the ones holding the trigger unit in. youll have to separate the mainframe from the stock and there you find them (2 ) on the underside of the rail .
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Try shooting the same arrow each time when having issues!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
nannyhammer

Post by nannyhammer »

Thanks for the additional inputs. I've been shooting two arrows out of the dozen and a couple of times I have shot both of them as tight as 3/4" from each other at 50yds although most times they are hovering around 2". I'll turn up the speed ring next and see if that helps. Thanks!
Boo

Post by Boo »

nannyhammer wrote:Thanks for the additional inputs. I've been shooting two arrows out of the dozen and a couple of times I have shot both of them as tight as 3/4" from each other at 50yds although most times they are hovering around 2". I'll turn up the speed ring next and see if that helps. Thanks!
The speed ring is there so you can set your crosshairs and the lower chevrons for different distances/points of impact.
Have you tried getting another person to shoot your bow?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
confederate

Post by confederate »

My dead zone is on its way back to Danny Miller for replacement. It was doing the exact same thing. Went out one day and it was way high at 40 yards. I adjusted the speed ring to bring it down. Then the next time out it was hitting about 1.5 inches to the right and high.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340