TriggerTech screw sheared off

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Seafermiles

Re: TriggerTech screw sheared off

Post by Seafermiles »

Just go to the hardware store and buy a replacement bolt. It will be fine. Take the old bolt to match the threads. It's a crossbow not a rocket ship. I have hundreds of these socket head bolts that I've used on various projects and have never had one break like the OP's.
Sea Ya

Matrix 330, AirBrakes, Reds, Cheek Piece, Ex-tender
Smokepolehall Flemish String
cb175

Post by cb175 »

I contacted Wyvern (where I bought the TriggerTech). David said they had never seen this happen before. He is sending me two new screws (free). This is about 12 hours after my email! Fantastic!

You guys in the U.S. should be justifiably proud of the customer service offered by companies like Wyvern. You are very lucky - it just doesn't happen here in Oz.

I had not over tightened the screws initially - just screwed up firmly with some blue Loctite. I reckon it just had a fault in it.

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Can someone tell me exactly what these screws are - size and thread pattern so I can (hopefully) source some spares closer to home.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

To find the sizes of most of the common fasteners on your bow, go to ti64.com and look under the heading "crossbows" and select your model. Almost every fastener is listed by size and name. The trigger block screws are: 8-32x0.75 parallel socket heads.
Seafermiles wrote:Just go to the hardware store and buy a replacement bolt. It will be fine. Take the old bolt to match the threads. It's a crossbow not a rocket ship. I have hundreds of these socket head bolts that I've used on various projects and have never had one break like the OP's.
Are you for serious, my bows are not rocket ships...you learn something new everyday! Thanks for bringing something helpful to the discussion. If you have been using a crossbow for any length of time you would know that some of the OEM fasteners on our bows may strip or rust on you and that sir, is not rocket science.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits

Post by newbie »

I ordered a replacement bolt kit for my bow. It's nice to have spares laying around when I work on my rocket just in case :wink: .
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

I have owned a Exomax and a Vixen since 2005 and NEVER had any problems with the factory parts.......
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

foofoo wrote:from my searchin around Black Oxide steel scews can be grade 5 or grade 8.Titanium can be grade 2 or grade 5. i found some negative reviews on some titanium screws coming out of China prone to shearing.id wanna know how you can be sure what the proper grade your getting.ive never had an issue with any Excalibur bolts shearing.only heads stripping but i bet its more the allen wrench than the screw head.
It isn't the allen wrenches, as I use the best available...
(Bondhus or Eklind)
and a good example would be the recoil plate screws. Once tightened down you cannot get them out without stripping the heads. And after replacing several of them I can tell you that any allen wrench will wobble when inserted into the heads. If you look at the new ones closely when you get them you would almost think they were star heads, but they aren't.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

your right about the recoil plate screws. the shoulder version seems to round out after 2 or 3 uses. my guess is that Excalibur uses the shoulder bolts because owners were tightening the full screw length version plates like on older models too much. using the shoulder bolts makes it so when you bottom out your good and not over squishing the rubber under the plates.i will do the wiggle test on screws before going to town. if the proper wrench bit or allen key feels too sloppy i know to proceed with care and check things or replace if needed. ive found the 'L' allen type wrench to be prone to round far sooner than the socket end of the screw. these days i only use 1/4 drive bits and wrench squared 90 to avoid issues with lean and buggering. sometimes that dont matter either :lol:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

no, it sure doesn't :lol:
I don't usually have any problems with the allen wrenches rounding, just the screw heads... but I do check them often. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: