?speed?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: ?speed?

Post by vixenmaster »

I shot this Barr 2 yrs ago wid Miss Vixen & a GTII arrow weight was 328 gr total. I shot under the gristle pad & Spitfire lodged in off shouder wid pt jus barely out of hide
http://s15.photobucket.com/user/smokepo ... 4.jpg.html]Image
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I don't believe deer have evolved into looking up. I feel the deer are looking up at hunters in treestands is because there is movement.

I have hunted out of treestands for many years and never once while I was in a stand did I have a deer look at me unless I made a mistake.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

yooper_man wrote:I don't believe deer have evolved into looking up. I feel the deer are looking up at hunters in treestands is because there is movement.

I have hunted out of treestands for many years and never once while I was in a stand did I have a deer look at me unless I made a mistake.

Andrew
Do you hunt private land or public land
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

JPjunkie wrote:
yooper_man wrote:I don't believe deer have evolved into looking up. I feel the deer are looking up at hunters in treestands is because there is movement.

Andrew
Both private land or public land equally with no difference. I have only had deer look up if I made a mistake by moving or making a noise. I have used climber or ladder style tree stands in Michigan, New Mexico & North Dakota.

Also if a hunter doesn't hide his or her silhouette which is unnatural and can alert deer. The plan is no movement, no smell, no sound and blend in naturally, failing to do these things points all blame to the hunter not the evolution of the hunted.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
volfan

Post by volfan »

I have seen them come through the woods looking up in the trees. I had a small group of 8 does come in under my tree one day and 7 would munch on acorns while one would watch me in the tree. They would alternate and I never was able to get my bow up and it was only about a 15 yard shot.
Matrix 355
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

volfan wrote:I have seen them come through the woods looking up in the trees. I had a small group of 8 does come in under my tree one day and 7 would munch on acorns while one would watch me in the tree. They would alternate and I never was able to get my bow up and it was only about a 15 yard shot.
And I thought it was just Indiana I guess everybody in Tennesse makes mistakes too
JPjunkie wrote:

Andrew
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

JPjunkie wrote:And I thought it was just Indiana I guess everybody in Tennesse makes mistakes too
Its OK, to err is human. I can attest that everytime a deer noticed me in a tree is because I made a mistake. Some times the errors are subtle, but the first part to correcting mistakes is admitting them to yourself.

Goodluck,
Andrew

volfan

Post by volfan »

I have to take issue with yooper_man on this. I am not saying I know all about deer but I have been hunting deer (over 50 years) longer than you have been alive and you, my friend, are wrong when you say that the only reason a deer looks up is because the hunter makes a mistake. If the hunter makes a mistake the deer will be gone. He won't normally keep coming in to your zone. Like I said, I have seen deer come through the woods looking up into the trees long before they get to my tree. They keep coming because they have not spoted me but they are still looking up. I suppose that the herd of deer that stood under my tree, one watching me while the other crunched acorns, were looking up because I made a mistake but I guess the mistake just wasn't big enough to spook them and cause them to run off. It really amazes me how some people think they are so much smarter than others and they will actually tell someone else what they have and have not experienced. It must be nice to be blessed with that much savy.
Matrix 355
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

volfan wrote:I have to take issue with yooper_man on this. I am not saying I know all about deer but I have been hunting deer (over 50 years) longer than you have been alive and you, my friend, are wrong when you say that the only reason a deer looks up is because the hunter makes a mistake. If the hunter makes a mistake the deer will be gone. He won't normally keep coming in to your zone. Like I said, I have seen deer come through the woods looking up into the trees long before they get to my tree. They keep coming because they have not spoted me but they are still looking up. I suppose that the herd of deer that stood under my tree, one watching me while the other crunched acorns, were looking up because I made a mistake but I guess the mistake just wasn't big enough to spook them and cause them to run off. It really amazes me how some people think they are so much smarter than others and they will actually tell someone else what they have and have not experienced. It must be nice to be blessed with that much savy.
That's fine volfan, but I have no problems agreeing to disagree with you. I don't care to get into it with you over this, but what you witness and or your years of hunting holds no merit for what I witness and my years of hunting. I could continue to beat this like a dead horse, but it would solve nothing. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Andrew

volfan

Post by volfan »

You have a nice day too. Your arogance amazes me and your ignorance astonishes me. You actually agree to disagree with me on what I know I have witnessed just because you have never witnessed it? Maybe the deer in MI are not as smart as the deer in TN, I honestly don't know. I pitty the person who can not learn from the experience of others because they say the other has never had the experience. I have often said that I have never experienced something when someone shared their experiences with me but never have I rejected the fact that someone else has experienced it.
Last edited by volfan on Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 355
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

volfan wrote:You have a nice day too. Your arogance amazes me and your ignorance astonishes me. You actually agree to disagree with me on what I know I have witnessed just because you have never witnessed it? Maybe the deer in MI are not as smart as the deer in TN, I honestly don't know. I pitty the person who can not learn from the experience of others because they say the other has never had the experience. I have often said that I have never experience something when someone shared their experiences with me but never have I rejected the fact that someone else has experience it.
Amen brother
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Deer don't just walk thru the woods looking up into the tree tops, there's a reason for sure and I've seen them do it, but 90% of the time their nose is usually on the ground from what I've seen.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
volfan

Post by volfan »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Deer don't just walk thru the woods looking up into the tree tops, there's a reason for sure and I've seen them do it, but 90% of the time their nose is usually on the ground from what I've seen.

Wes
I have seen them do it many times.
Matrix 355
gwhuntr

Post by gwhuntr »

I just got an Ibex. I've got a 466 gr finished arrow. According to my local bow shop's chrony it's only flingin @ 177 fps doesn't sound right.
I do have the S-5's on it & the stock string is just barely touching @ it's 1" from the end of the stock.
Is the chrony off or somethang else?

Thanx,

Greg.
GregO
>>>------->

Ibex
Ten Point Pro Elite Arrows
125 gr Magnus Stingers
Lumenoks
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

:( :roll: oops sorry to have posted here.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier