String wax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

String wax

Post by Gamikatsu »

Is there such a thing as too much Dalton wax on my matrix string?
I am realizing I am waxing my string pretty heavily about twice a week... weather it's been shot or not.

Thanks.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
racking up points

Re: String wax

Post by racking up points »

Too much of a good thing ain't good! Less is more because excess wax will work its way into your trigger mech and gum it all up. Every 40-50 shots ought to be sufficient. I also use Jig-a-loo and I apply it with a microfibre rag when I wax the serving. That's my regimen anyhow, others may have their own but this works for me.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

All I use is Daltons on my serving about every 50 - 100 shots.
I apply it when I am done shooting and then wipe off any excess wax that has not soaked in the next time I get ready to shoot. I also wax the string every couple months if it starts to look dry or if I can see any fuzz starting to show up. Rail lube is not needed and I would be cautious using anything on the axiom SMF rail without being 100% sure it won't damage it.

You can find a lot of helpful information here...
http://boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have recenty taken the string off the 355 n put a new one on it. Had about 1200 shots on it n i think i waxed once when new the 2 more times after it became fuzzy. Jus doesn't need to cake the wax on them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Too much is not a good deal because of the trigger as said above, but after a few shots they will "de wax"" themselves onto the back of your limbs. :o this is not a pretty deal either. Does this sound like the voice of experience? :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

You might not be able to replenish your supply so use as needed only. A few years ago the owner stopped making it for personal reasons and that went on for a few years. Lancaster and Cabela's no longer carries it probably because they do cannot rely on a constant supply.
It's good stuff so stock pile it and don't waste it or find something else that works.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

I use Boos lipstick sparingly after every competition,40 shots or so.
Give it a little rub into the serving where it's in contact with the rail.
If the string starts to look a little fuzzy,that gets a rub down as well but that's just a couple of times a year.
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

OK Let Me clarify. When I wax the string I apply a little bit. And then rub it into the string until it warms and absorbs in. I don't wax the serving much. There is no buildup past a very thin layer on my string. I didn't wax my first string and it stretched to the point I'm afraid to use it and i am very well aware this wasnt due to me jto waxing it. I want to try and preserve the second string. And I figure with the long power stroke and harsh shot cycle of the 405 that the heavierwax might cushion things.

My backup wax will always be boning textite or similar. Cheap and works well enough. Those super expensive liquid waxes don't impress me.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Gamikatsu wrote:OK Let Me clarify. When I wax the string I apply a little bit. And then rub it into the string until it warms and absorbs in. I don't wax the serving much. There is no buildup past a very thin layer on my string. I didn't wax my first string and it stretched to the point I'm afraid to use it and i am very well aware this wasnt due to me jto waxing it. I want to try and preserve the second string. And I figure with the long power stroke and harsh shot cycle of the 405 that the heavierwax might cushion things.

My backup wax will always be boning textite or similar. Cheap and works well enough. Those super expensive liquid waxes don't impress me.
You should switch you habits around...
The string does not need waxed as often as your serving.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: