Project Flying Hatchet...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Project Flying Hatchet...

Post by Drew »

So while I really like the Slick Trick Mags for their accuracy and durability, I'm not exactly excited about their blood trails. I'm not sure if the holes are getting plugged with body fat or what but I want a massive hole and I do not want to go the mechanical route. Also, I am looking for ultra durability as these will be the heads going ot Africa with me next year. This hunting season is the Beta test so to speak. So to rectify the lack of blood trail I started looking for a large COC broadhead and from my traditional archery pursuit I've come across two brands of large COC heads that are known for their durability. It now comes down to can the blazer vanes steer and control these big heads.
I'm evaluating the Simmons TreeSharks (2" wide), and the Centaur Big Game heads (1.75" wide) They weigh just over 200gr with the glued in insert in place (216gr and 218gr). The TS is a dual bevel head while the BG is a single bevel. I just received a dozen 20" Zombi Slayer shafts and will be building up several different set ups to try. The current recipe ends up around 460gr with a FOC of 19.42%. KE should be around 101ft-lbs.
They seem to fly well at 13yds in my basement range so now I have to step outside and try them at longer distances and run them over the chrony. I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 320fps out of my M355.

Here is a few pics of these monsters...

Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
UPSMAN

Re: Project Flying Hatchet...

Post by UPSMAN »

:shock: :shock: You should just throw an ax at them instead. :lol: :lol:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
bubba

Post by bubba »

Ouch... They look bad to the bone. Which brings up a question i too have been looking at trying a new fixed blade, And the more i read i hear a lot of single bevel and double bevel, Advantage of the single is that they spin more on contact with bone causing the bone to shatter, were as the double bevel just cuts though and has better penetration, Verses bone breaking power...Leaving me liking the single bevel more, Whats your thoughts on this?
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ive shot the slightly smaller intercepters for 30 years with my martin longbow out of 75 deer only lost 2 or 3 and it was due to placement. Excelent head. Used to actually put a very sharp edge on em with a simple hand dragging smiths sharpener i usually reinforced the insert with a drop of epoxy
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I only have experience with the 125 grain landsharks . They make a huge hole..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have shot alot of single bevels during my trad days, as in Grizzleys, Zwickey " No-mercys " and VPA's ..

They do indeed work excellent but care needs to be taken to match right bevel an left bevel style broadheads ( yes there are both ) with corrosponding right and left wing fletched shafts as mixing them up causes less penetration upon impact when you get the cutting twist of the broadhead going agains the direction the shaft is turning while in flight.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

This is something I have found out thru experience
Most of my year round hunting is hogs
I have also started to find the same thing with deer
I started by hunting strictly on ground
The higher I hit the longer it took to find massive blood trails.
And that was taking both lungs (chest cavity filling before spraying)
From an elevated stand the exit which is lower than entrance would start the heavy blood trail
So in short shot placement counts a lot on heavy the blood trail starting
I am shooting a 430grn bolt bh is a Magnus stinger buzzcut
Long recovery has been 60 yards
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

What did Bill T. use to bring down his elephant?
Hank
Drew

Post by Drew »

I definitely find the dual bevel easier to sharpen but I have a lot more experience sharpening dual bevel. i'm sure I'll get the single bevel sharp by the time hunting season gets here. I've also noticed the characteristic "S" shape cut that the single bevel creates on my Rhinehart ball target. There is no doubt the bevel is creating torquing upon contact.

Shot out of my traditional recurve the Centaur penetrated 5" into my Rhinehart target ball, Silver Flame, 4.5", and the Slick Trick, 4". This from 38# limbs.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Drew wrote:Here is a few pics of these monsters...
Wow! That's an accurate description if there ever was one. That first one looks bad a$$.
DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

UPSMAN wrote::shock: :shock: You should just throw an ax at them instead. :lol: :lol:
I'm with Dennis! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Drew, did you finalize a head yet?
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Wow...those are huge. Those should be devastating on whitetails. If you have trouble with Blazers controlling them you might try TruFlight 2" or Gateway Rayzr feathers. My other thoughts are...kd8jgu makes a huge point about matching RH or LH fletching with the single bevel....and for African game Dr Ashby makes a big point about "work angle" playing a big part in good penetration. Work angle is basically the length of the BH divided by the width and he recommends a work angle of about 3 (3" long, 1" wide). With the large widths, these wont have that. But it will depend in what you are hunting in AFrica.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Drew

Post by Drew »

Hey fellas, sorry for the pause in the development I was waiting on a few components to come in along with a Arizona Bolt fletcher. I have two arrows complete at the moment but have not had a chance to shoot them. I am also waiting on a delivery of Simmons 165gr Tiger Sharks. Once I know these fly well I will also make some at 18" but I'm concerned the shorter length may be less stable/accurate due to less vane leverage it that makes sense.

Current components:
20" Zombies, +/- 0.001, spine matched
2" zebra Blazers RH helical
3.5" white wrap
30gr aluminum insert
216gr or 218gr Simmons Tree Shark / Centaur Big Game
Total wt = 462gr
FOC 22.54%

If I switch to the lumenok for hunting the figures change to
Total wt = 482gr
FOC 19.86%

With the Simmons 165gr Tiger Sharks.
Total wt = 430gr
FOC 16.52%

Just to mention, the Centaur are single bevel and I have RH bevel, as well as RH vanes. I just always go with RH for lack of confusion and consistancy, same with the traditional gear.

Hopefully I can find some time to shoot tonight. Stay tuned....

nchunterkw
>>Good looking out with the options on the Blazers. I had already thought about trying some of the 4" shield cut TruFlights but they are too tall for the rail slot. I will try the 2" feathers if the blazers can't manage. The Bolt fletcher puts a much more severe helical than the 3 degree offset I've been shooting. I'm hoping it is enough to provide adequate control.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Have you considered the G5 Striker Magnum? It has a one and one half inch cut, but there are three blades. I would suspect that the chance of severing arteries is likely better with the Striker Magnum than it is with just a two inch two blade. It has a cut on contact tip, but also has replaceable blades.

I know a guy who uses them on elk and with his Exomax they blow through an elk. If you are using a more powerful bow and add weight, I can only imagine what you would need for a target butt.

They are 125 grain, but if you want weight in order to increase penetration, add an insert into the shaft.

By the way, they fly well out of his bow.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.