Defeating the Anti Dry Fire Device

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Defeating the Anti Dry Fire Device

Post by Hi5 »

When I'm shooting, I consider the anti dry fire device as worthwhile. It's nice to know that my 405 can't slam the string against the limbs, (or bumpers) if I fail to load an arrow or fail to seat it properly.

However, it's a Royal Pain in the Nether Region when I'm trying to do routine maintenance such as shortening the string. There are likely a whole bunch of other reasons why it is inconvenient to have that anti dry fire device interfere with the limbs getting relaxed and the string settling back into position.

Why don't one of you handymen who visit this site come up with a thin, flat, spring that is U shaped and formed so that would hold the adf finger up out of the way? It could clip into place and maybe would hold just with friction, or maybe have a finger on each end to hold in place.

My Marlin lever action has a button type safety on the receiver that is prone to being accidently engaged. A little rubber "O" ring, however, makes that impossible. It's a cheap and secure way of making a fix.

I think that a "U" shaped flat spring, properly formed, would do the trick. It could be installed just before working on the bow and would be removed once the work was done. I don't know how much difference there is in receivers from one model to another. However, even if there can't be a "one unit fits all", tailoring a unit for different popular models can't be all that hard or costly.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
NEPAbowhunter

Re: Defeating the Anti Dry Fire Device

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I pull the stringing aid up with my rope cocker to the trigger and then put the bow on safe. When I am done I make sure the rope cocker hooks are on the stringing aid, and pull up with my right hand. This brings my left hand rope cocker handle into the bow. I take the bow off safe, pull up hard with the right handle of rope cocker. With my free left hand I depress the ADF lever with my left hand thumb and pull the trigger with my finger. Works every time. No issues at all. I even served the stringing aid were it comes into contact with the trigger claws. With that heavy weight 405 you are pulling you might want to consider a rope cocker that lets you grab it with four fingers instead of the lawn mower handles.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Big Woods

Post by Big Woods »

I do the same as Nepa. Works great
No One

Post by No One »

A kid is cheaper sometimes. lol
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Yep..X-3 every time..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

No One wrote:A kid is cheaper sometimes. lol
Nope! I gotta call BS on dat! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have never had a problem with anti-dryfire. easy to use and easy to uncock.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

My brother inlaw has a barnett recurve and after seeing how easy it is to uncock mine decided to cut an arrow down to about 6 inches. Now he uncocks his with his cocking rope like I do and the short arrow simply falls to the ground.
He is a happy camper since he does not have to shoot an arrow to uncock it :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Hi5

May I suggest a solution that works for me .
Use a WIDE ( 4 " ) rubber band to perform the task.
I Tie a knot in middle of rubber band to increase elasticity
Then attach as in picture below.

Will hold ADF lever in OPEN POSITION with very little pressure

Easy ON / Easy OFF / Easy to carry / Cheap

Rubber will not mark or damage any surfaces

Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Oops! That's what that thingey is for? It retracts the adf finger! Learned something I shouldda knowed.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.