removing the adf on a micro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bubba

Re: removing the adf on a micro

Post by bubba »

As Paul stated. If we could all learn to teach our brains to always, time after time follow the routine, cock ,put safety on, load arrow, and shoot. Like you and your friends. It would be great, and i have heard of members doing it. And i think that we all try, and regrettably i say you are probably right a dry fire would be like saying, you were unsafe with your crossbow. But being unsafe at least is never my intentions. But still i have had one with my Ibex, luck was with me no issues, except it freaked me out, big time. Cause? And the second time was a little different. Had just been out shooting my new 355. But before getting my A.D.F. i was continuously thinking about the need to get one, So much in fact i waited three day's biting at the bit to go outside in shoot, But held off until i had the A.d.f. on. And day's later it happened. Worth every penny to me. It helps me be safe. And i firmly believe in the forum saying,it's bound to happen some time......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
bubba

Post by bubba »

Opps....You guessed it....Double....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Oh deer's look wat i started. Thanks tom. I was taught the same way years ago its like not putting a 28 guage shell in your 12 and not putting an extra powder charge in the muzzle loader. Wearing the safety belt. I never had a dry fire in ten years i kinda feel if im that lacking to forget to put a bolt in my bow . I deserve a couple hundred dollar bill for new limbs .anyway im not gonna throw the adf away ill keep it in its box. But im not putting it on anytime soon !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
JimG

Post by JimG »

Tom is exactly correct. It's called responsibility. I don't have nor want nor need nor will I purchase an xbow with an adf. If you you can't remember to load an arrow before discharging then...................
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

KISS
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Tom

Post by Tom »

paulaboutform wrote:Tom, I could not disagree with your entire sentiment more...respectfully. That's great if it's never happened to you. We're not dealing with ideally, we're dealing with reality. The reality is dry fires happen and they happen a lot, and I do believe they happen to or will happen to pretty much everyone who shoots enough....present company and your friends excluded of course. To me it's like having a monitored house alarm or insurance. I don't believe it means someone is being unsafe.

Paul
Sorry Paul, but if your handling or shooting a gun or crossbow you should be only thinking of "safety".

If you have a dryfire, then your concintration lasped and you did something you should not have done. When your bow is cocked, your mind should not be on anything other then the process of shooting the bow.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tom wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:Tom, I could not disagree with your entire sentiment more...respectfully. That's great if it's never happened to you. We're not dealing with ideally, we're dealing with reality. The reality is dry fires happen and they happen a lot, and I do believe they happen to or will happen to pretty much everyone who shoots enough....present company and your friends excluded of course. To me it's like having a monitored house alarm or insurance. I don't believe it means someone is being unsafe.

Paul
Sorry Paul, but if your handling or shooting a gun or crossbow you should be only thinking of "safety".

If you have a dryfire, then your concintration lasped and you did something you should not have done. When your bow is cocked, your mind should not be on anything other then the process of shooting the bow.

Tom
Tom, I absolutely agree with you. 100%....but it can still happen and I believe it's simply safer to have the ADF. My take is that yes, a dry fire should not happen. However, the ADF causes no harm and does add a level of added safety should the unmentionable happen.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I think Tom is forgetting one thing, with all yours years of wisdom and realizing that when you started using a crossbow you were using bows that were lucky to shoot as fast as the verts today, the problem was in their anemic draw weight the explosion was like a primer misfiring a muzzleloader, today those limbs are probably under twice or even 3x the compression you are talking about. When you started using a crossbow like you said,,,, it just meant a broken limb,,,,,, but today with the super stress on limbs that Micro will likely be more like a grenade going off in your face, the old bows only put the shooter in danger,,,,, the Micro puts most likely others in the same neighborhood in danger if you dry fire it,,,,,, to me this is the same mentality of thinking you are too intelligent to need a safety on any weapon???????

Like others said, with the wider lower poundage bows common sense should tell you they are not as dangerous,,, to you and others,,,, but when you push the limits, mistakes are not planned, and it should be clear that they are much more severe with a 290# draw weight, than a 175#!!!

I have brakes on my Sonoma and they work fine, but common sense should tell you they would be worthless on my F-350 Dually!!!! Safety is safety, regardless what we are talking about, and common sense tells me the 310 330 and 355 can probably take a drifire without physically harming yourself or others, but the Micro and higher draw weight Matrix come with an ADF because it could be physically dangerous situation if a drifire for any reason would occur!! So feel free to do as you wish, and I wish you luck, but personally I like the fact mine have the Guardian!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Well put^^^couldnt agree more.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

A dry fire isn't always caused by human error I.E. ones routine gets off track and you forger to load/reload your bow before you pull the trigger on an empty rail.

Yes I've done that on my old 355 and the bumpers took the brunt with the bow being ok. Ordered an ADF right after/same day

I've also done it with my Micro a couple times. I'm not afaid/ashamed to say it. I'm one safe person and it still happened and always when my bow was pointed down range in a safe direction I.E. I was shooting at a target.

Now...with that all said. As I said earlier it doesn't have to be human error to cause a dry fire. It can also be an equipment glitch. I.E. the nock becomes unseated from the string somehow, the arrow might have a micro crack in it, or something else that Murphys law can come up with.

You can check equipment all day and something unfortunately can happen.

Not saying it should but it does.

And as far a dry fire with a micro goes...Esp if you take the ADF or disable it on purpose. I wouldn't want to be around it when it happened.

It was bad enough when mine let loose cocking it in an open field, but considering I do a majority of my hunting from a ground blind with only a very small window opening in front of me to shoot through. A dry fire in that situation would be ugly, real ugly esp if i also had my kids boyfriend in there with me.
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Well I'm going to ruffle a few feathers but I'm going to say this anyway! The Excalibur company designed the ADF for a reason(s). If it came installed on the crossbow it should stay on the bow. IMO, if it is removed and a dry fire occurs, with limb damage or other damage, would you make a claim for repairs to your bow? It's a safety feature to protect you and your bow.
I learned a long time ago, never to say, "I NEVER WILL _________" .
My bow came with the adf and I will not shoot any crossbow without one installed. With that said each person can do whatever they want with their bow or anything else they own. They worked for it and paid hard earned money for it and they can do whatever they want with it. Whatever each person decides to do, just remember, Never Say Never.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I would have to side with Tom on this. To me it is the same as flipping the safety on for your gun. I just am used to automatically flipping the safety on and putting an arrow on the rail against the string. I do not like the extra weight. And, like others have said it is your bow and your eye or whatever. This rules for this and add-on's that is the same thing the is slowly eroding what is going on with people in general. People are losing the ability to think for themselves and believe me there is always someone out there that will do your thinking for you for a price and your liberty.

Example; My nephew who is 24 years old went to a small town picnic and had three beers. On the way to the car he had to relieve himself so he went behind a dumpster and proceeded to. A cop came along and low and behold 181.00 later he corrected that problem. Yes, 181.00 to take a wiz. My point is there is always someone for a price out there to protect you and we are irresponsible enough to let this happen. In no time at all we all will be walking around like zombie's because we can not think for ourselves.

I81.00 my xss. :evil:
Tom

Post by Tom »

StormDragon wrote:A dry fire isn't always caused by human error I.E. ones routine gets off track and you forger to load/reload your bow before you pull the trigger on an empty rail.
Sorry, but then who's fault is it.

When you are handling a crossbow, you are in "full control" of the bow, therefore it is your "responsability" to do things carefully & safely.

It does not matter if you got off your routine or not, if you forgot to load or reload the bow, that is "on you", your fault.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

I agree wholeheartedly agedcrossbowuser. Look at the fuel cans that we have today. All because some cannot do for themselves. Lever action rifles with cross bolt safeties. There are lots of instances where products were made worse because some people forgot to be safe when using said product. I do agree that the Excalibur models that have adfs are put on there because those particular models are extremely volatile, and probably would not survive a dry fire. I have a strict rule in buying tools and toys, if it comes with a certain safety feature that I don't like, leave it there, because it is on there for a reason. If I find that the feature really bothers me that much, then I buy a model that doesn't have it to start with, that way I am not voiding any warranties or bypassing any safety features.
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Tom wrote:
StormDragon wrote:A dry fire isn't always caused by human error I.E. ones routine gets off track and you forger to load/reload your bow before you pull the trigger on an empty rail.
Sorry, but then who's fault is it.

When you are handling a crossbow, you are in "full control" of the bow, therefore it is your "responsability" to do things carefully & safely.

It does not matter if you got off your routine or not, if you forgot to load or reload the bow, that is "on you", your fault.

Tom
Never said I didn't own the dry fires that were caused by me unloading my bow to check something and forgetting to reload it or forgetting to load it period because I may have started talking to someone after I both cocked it and put the safety on along with keeping it pointed in a safe direction.

All me plain and simple.

So please don't imply that i said something different in my earlier post :)

Have a good day and may your reign of non dry fires continue :)
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus