Newbies and experts please read

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kayakyok

Newbies and experts please read

Post by kayakyok »

2cd post for me. Just bought a micro 335. Been out of archery for 10 years, but have 25+ prior. Teach high school "wood shop". 25 years ski patrol. 30+ years whitewater raft guide and guide trainer\manager. Use safety glasses when I run my chainsaws\tools. Meticulus handload for numerous of my rifles. Wife has a master’s in EHS and she yells at me anytime I try to do something stupid around her. I consider myself a "safety wary guy". Weighed all my bolts and knew their weight to the tenth of a grain and did double checks assembling my new xbow.
Shot # 17 out of my new micro 335 I had a dry fire. The main reason that I decided to put the money into the micro was the ADF. Cheaper models I was looking at I figured I would have to add an ADF so I just bit the bullet and bought a more expensive model (and there were other benifits I liked from the micro...). Anyways, ADF was a must for me. It has already paid off 2X.
Why did I have a dry fire? I was focused. I was concentrating. I was mentally documenting what happened with every shot......
I am not too proud to admit that I was so focused on things like cocking properly, .....yada yada yada that I .....
did not even put a bolt in the Xbow.

I like ADF and glad I invested in it.

Figured I needed to send out a "reminder\advice" to let others learn from my mistake. My humility for dumb mistakes went out the door when I got rid of my horses and bought mules so I am not ashamed to admit my mistakes in public....

Post # 3 previews....
Micro brace height should be??? Manual that was included was not for micro....grrrr.... My current brace height is 1.375"? My accuracy kinda sucks on initial shoot tonight, but in my first post I promised to do a few things that I have not done yet so post # 3 is not there yet. I did decide to use 100gr tips, and my bolt weight is right at 350grs +\- .4grs. I need to try 150gr tips to see if there is a change??, but really want to use the 100gr mechanicals with the quills if I can.
Thanks, Scott
PS: BE SAFER THAN ME!
I know I have all those guns Dear..... but Honey you just don't understand...I NEED an xbow!
vixenmaster

Re: Newbies and experts please read

Post by vixenmaster »

Well yer off to a grand start :) Brace ht. i run my Nitemare wid string jus behind the line towards the trigger side.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Sam, just Sam...

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

ADF just makes sense. I'm not going to fault those who don't like it. Not a big deal. My bro went to shoot my bow and slid the arrow back to the ADF rail, heard it "click", and was gonna shoot it! Thankfully I noticed it. I like the Idea of ADF if I have the bow cocked and am walking back to the tree stand with my dad (in case we see something) however I don't have to stick an arrow in it so that it's not ruined with a dry fire. Not sure if that makes sense.

Again, just a preference thing. Doesn't matter how safe you are, dry fires can happen.
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Welcome to the dry fire club! And I like to keep my brace height about a string width between the line towards the trigger and outside string edge. I found that's the sweet spot my Micro really likes.

And if your a WW kayaker like I think I am understanding from your post. Consider a dry fire like missing your roll because you raised your head or punching with your elbow or both. You can have a bombproof combat roll and forget that one thing and back over and under you go. Same thing applies with a dry fire that you can have a bombproof routine but one small change to it can lead to a dry fire.

Been there done that a few times in both examples. And I will honestly say that as much as I don't like dry firing my bow I absolutely positively hated having to come out of my boat even more. (To much work to get back in after lol)
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

There is so much of a process with crossbows it makes it easier to possibly dryfire. I used to be against the thought of having a ADF but now since ive had one for a while I don't mind it all. And the matrixeses'es certainly benefit from it in my opinion.

Ive gone full blown, full stroke, string slapping riser dryfire on my Y25 and both it and I have lived to tell the tale. I think the old girls are just more forgiving. :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

If you really need to shoot the 100gr expandables you have, I suggest going to a heavier brass insert, (92 or 110gr) in those quills or getting custom arrows made with the heavier insert. If all you have is those 4 quills that came with your bow you will run out in short order anyhow.
My beef with light arrows are:
-less penetration
-not as stable in flight esp. @ long range, less accurate
-undue stress placed on limbs
-louder shot
Most of us shoot an arrow closer to 400gr for the reasons above.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....Kayakyok, welcome aboard and a great introduction....even with the ADF on the 335 I would be very careful after a "dryfire"...check, double check and triple check those limbs....I have found the limbs not to be as forgiving as even the MATRIX series....look over the limbs and make sure you don't see any indications of separation or delamination...if so do not continue to shoot...if none then, "carry on."

....this is a great place to ask questions and learn...most importantly to share information as you already have...

....why not take a few seconds and complete your registration indicating where you hail from....it helps us to help you....

Anthony :)

PS: Even though the "minimum" arrow weight is 350g...many of us shoot a higher grain arrow...mine come in at 384g...some go above 400g...number one it gives a little more hitting power and it takes a little more stress off the limbs...
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

Welcome to the forum. And your new Excalibur crossbow. I agree with your arrow weight being a little light, I know Excalibur say's 350 grain min, But like mentioned most all of us shoot a heavier arrow. In my bows the min is around 367 grain, But mostly i shoot a 380 or so grain. It's easier on the bow, it's less noise. Any how welcome...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I thought I would never have a dry fire either, but the 1st year I starting shooting Excals I had 2 within a couple of weeks with my Vortex. The ADF hadn't come out back then but luckily my Excal survived with no limb damage either time. I was like you concentrating on other things such as shooting groups and checking chrono speeds instead of following the basics. I've been a Firearms Instructor for about 15 years and thought I'd never join the dry fire club but I was Wrong. The ADF is a no brainer for me now that I'm getting older and can't remember as good as I used to, I need that extra insurance to help me along. Good Luck and have fun these Excals are a pleasure to shoot.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

ADF is the best! :D :D :D

Enjoy the bow!

deertrx
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....a couple of final thoughts....Excalibur has the best warranty in the industry...so if anything happens you are covered no matter what!!!!

.....with you living in SW PA...you must have a certain phone number on your speed dial....and that is the priceless number of Danny Miller....many of us know him as Dr. Danny Miller or just plain Dr.D. :lol: :lol: :lol: for those of us who met him at Boofest in July he is truly a great person who knows all things Excalibur and can help you with any issue you might have or accessory you might need (at fair prices I might add)...

Dr. D. does not do internet or email so you must call him. he is out of Sardis, OH and also handles Excalibur warranty work....to reach the good Dr.:

Danny Miller
37432 Fifth Avenue,
Sardis, OH 43946
Fax:1.740.483.2030

Carry on....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
kayakyok

Post by kayakyok »

Dr D info well noted. Thanks! post #3 going to be added momentarily as a new subject line.
I know I have all those guns Dear..... but Honey you just don't understand...I NEED an xbow!