Project Flying Hatchet...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Re: Project Flying Hatchet...

Post by Drew »

Update, I've shot all three heads at 13yds (basement range), and all are able to consistantly hit a shoot-n-c dot, which is about 5/8" diameter. So now I have to shoot at longer distances. The added helical from the Bolt fletcher really helps stabalize these heads.

Some observations...The Centaur's are TOUGH heads, very well constructed. They just scream ROBUST. At this point this is my go to head for Africa. I need to see how sharp an edge I can put on these.

The glue on Simmons are also well constructed. Slightly thinner steel, 0.05" vs. 0.07" for the Centaur. Sharper out of the box than the Centaur but both brands are not hunt ready. They definitely need to be sharpened.

The screw on Simmons I have a few engineering issues with. The ferrule is smaller in diameter than the Zombie's 0.346" so there is a step where the ferrule meets the insert. There is also a step where the ferrule tip blends in with the blade. I'll post pics later. Regardless, both of these issues would impact penetration to some extent. Probably not much at crossbow speeds but with my traditional archery equipment definitely something to take into consideration. This is the reason I also purchased the glue on versions. The glue on ferrule is much longer, has a nice blend into the blade at the tip of the ferrule, and at 11/32" diameter larger than the Zombie shaft aiding penetration. The glue on's also allow for more control of the wt of the broadhead as inserts are available 30gr to +100gr.

More later...
Last edited by Drew on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Mtn Jack

Post by Mtn Jack »

Drew please keep us up dated on this broad head project. I would also like to shoot a big heavy head. Thanks Mtn Jack
Drew

Post by Drew »

As I mentioned, "The screw on Simmons I have a few engineering issues with. The ferrule is smaller in diameter than the Zombie's 0.346" so there is a step where the ferrule meets the insert. There is also a step where the ferrule tip blends in with the blade. I'll post pics later. "

Well here are some more pics...

TreeShark vs. TigerShark

The blunt taper of the ferrule meets the blade steel on the screw on version and the undersized ferrule diameter compared to the Zombie shaft.

All three, TreeShark, TigerShark, Centaur Big Game...the BG has been scoured a bit from the sand in the Rhinehart ball target. Shooting heads this size does not lend itself to target longevity let me tell ya! :shock:

I have ordered some glue on TigerSharks as they have the longer ferrule and better taper. I am liking the size though especially for a lighter, shorter (18") arrow. With an aluminum 45gr insert the TS should weigh 180gr which is over 35gr lighter than the other two heads.

The Centaur is still showing as the go to head for Africa. I plan on using the buffing wheel to put a proper hunting edge to these heads over the wknd. Then it will be down to some longer range shooting. My self mandated outer limit is 40-45yds so if they are still grouping well at 60yds I'm going to feel real confident.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Drew

Post by Drew »

More updates...
I received the glue on Tiger sharks, built them up. and they end up just over 180gr and I like the design more than the screw in style, but tha'ts just me. Both versions fly extremely well. I just feel the glue on is more durable given the ferrule length. More support out by the tip and back by the insert.

Screw in vs. Glue in insert Simmons Tiger Sharks...

I've beem shooting these heads quite a bit and have narrowed the playing field somewhat. Right now the Tiger Shark and the Big Game fly virtually identically out to 20yds. Odd that, given the BG is 35gr heavier. The single bevel of the BG does indeed impart a twisting as it travels through the target. You can see it on the back side of the target as the entrance and exit holes are not in the same orientation like with the TS. You can feel the arrow twisting as it follows the same path out of the target when you pull it out as well.

2 shots, 20yds, BG and TS broadheads.

So right now my preferred set up is looking like an 18" ZS with 30gr aluminum insert, 2" blazers, 3.5" wrap, and a 29gr lumenok with either the Tiger Shark or the Big Game broadhead. These arrows really smack and are between 430gr-465gr. I still have to do some distance work now so this may change.
The Treeshark is giving me some fits. It is consistantly 2.5" lower than the other two heads on the same arrows. And it weighs the same as the BG. I plan on revisiting this combo because reports say it works and works well.

Testing these big heads is hard on a target let me tell you. Good thing we have Gorilla Tape!
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Drew

Post by Drew »

OK, I'm finally set and have shot out to my self imposed realistic hunting distance of 45yds. The Centaur BH and the Simmons Tiger Shark are going to be my #1 and #2 heads this year. I'm hoping to take a deer with both for comparison. Both heads are within 1.25" vertically at 30yds with the C-BG lower due to its 35grs heavier and higher FOC (20% vs. 18%). Very impressed with the penetration of these heads...much further into the target than my Slick Trick mags (another great head).
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

What type of game do you expect to hunt using these broadheads?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Hi5, I'm using this year's deer season to beta test these broadheads in preparation for an African safari next year. These heads are mostly used by traditional archery folks shooting recurve and longbow although there are a couple members here that use them or have had used them to great effect. I won't shoot a mechanical broadhead and these get me the same width cut with greatly increased robustness.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads