sound off about sound.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sam, just Sam...

Re: sound off about sound.....

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

Several of you mentioned wrapping the stirrup. Can anyone share a favorite method or things to avoid in doing so?
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

Drew wrote:An arrow will never outrun the speed of sound so does it really matter? Now granted, I like a quite bow so the wife and dogs don't get irritated when I shoot in the basement. :lol:

An interesting observation...I watch quite a few hunting shows and usually slow-mo the shot and impact when I can. It seems that the deer (or whatever animal) is no so much jumping the string as they are "flinching" away from motion in their peripheral vision. I've been paying attention to this phenomena for awhile now and it seems they typically start to drop/lean away when the arrow is 2-3 arrow lengths away. And I'm sure this is also distance dependent. This just reinforces to me my self induced max distance of 40yds. You just can't predict where the animal is going to be when they start to move. Just some thoughts...
very interesting observation. im with you on the speed of sound thing. i dont know what the reaction time vrs fight time is but if a slow bow is say 280 and a fast bow 380 verse 1125 of sound in the big picture the arrow still losses the race big time. sound will go 37.5 yards in about 1/10 of a second . in that same tenth of a second the slow bow will be 9.3 yards and the fast bow 12.6.
that means the arrow still has to travel 25-28 yards to get to the deer after the sound does no matter which bow you shot it from.
i know this is alot of useless and maybe not even correct math (there is a reason im not a rocket scientist). but the sound of an acorn falling and sound of air horn do travel at the same speed but surly get different reactions from a deer.
So im going with: speed will never make up for sound but less sound cant hurt....
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I have never heard a deer or a target complain about the noise made by the crossbow that the arrow came from. :lol:

Myself, I have gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me. :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Mine is Buck Naked! sept for the Danny Miller Bumpers. Thunder and trees a fallen in the woods don't bother them . . . cant see a little "ThaaaaWack" bother'em :wink:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

Sam, just Sam... wrote:Several of you mentioned wrapping the stirrup. Can anyone share a favorite method or things to avoid in doing so?
little help please
i too would like to know this.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I went to Walmart and picked up a small package of tennis racket handle wrap for around 3.00.
It was the padded stuff with enough to do one tennis racket handle.
There was enough to do one stirrup :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Solid19xX

Post by Solid19xX »

Here's another Option for the Stirrup, LimbSaver Insulator Strip...
Micro 335_Black (Leupold Mark AR Mod1 SPR)
Matrix 330_Black (Leupold FXII 2.5x20)
Matrix 355_RealTreeX (TactZone)
Mathews ZXT_Black (SpotHogg Hunter)
Summit Viper SD
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I have the Reds and I put that on for adjusting brace height! Noise is good as I always alert my deer before I pop them. I use a bleat sound I make and they stop and look up and wham!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

bobcat wrote:
Sam, just Sam... wrote:Several of you mentioned wrapping the stirrup. Can anyone share a favorite method or things to avoid in doing so?
little help please
i too would like to know this.

I use "tool cabinet" rubberized nonskid material cut to fit the stirrup. I than, very tightly, wrap Vet Wrap (the kind you would use on horses legs) around the nonskid material the vet wrap will stick to itself. You can get Vet Wrap at a farm supply store or find it online. I got the cabinet material at the hardware store. It has worked for me, so far. I cant post pictures. There are several good ideas others use. Just pick one that you would like to use.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I cut 1/2 wide inter tube about 6" long for old bike tires and use them works very well one on each side.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I brought mine to a place that sprays truck beds. The first was ten bucks and the second was free. However you wrap it just make sure you don't have contact with your fletching or broadheads.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.