scope/system for 100 yards with a 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

scope/system for 100 yards with a 380

Post by MickB »

Hi guys is 350-360fps( matrix 380 say with 400-425grain bolts) fast enough to get 100 yards using the HHA optimiser? I see in the reviews it has some 'dial' left after 80 yards usually... wondered if there is enough to handle the drop that would occur at 100 yards??

Also would the hawke XB30 also enable use of its reticle to 100 yards with the above speeds?

Obviously I am trying to get to 100 yards :) so any advice on this or the easieast system to do so appreciated.
paulaboutform

Re: scope/system for 100 yards with a 380

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi mick, I'm not sure which scope Ironoggin is using but he shoots an M380 with hash marks out there 100yards with some crazy accuracy. With my M380 HHA Optimizer setup I'm shooting a 383.4 grain arrow and can reach out to 110yards before I run out of room. Maybe room to hit 115 yards but I haven't had the opportunity to try. I'd say you'd be good with a 400 grain arrow for sure and maybe with a 425 grain arrow. Hope this helps.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
fredd

Post by fredd »

i was using an hawke xb1 with markers out to 100yrds. was shooting at 80yrds with my 330 using 420gr firebolts and diablos.
MickB

Post by MickB »

Thanks guys that is good news, 100 yard shots!

I am planning to stick to one magnfication around 3 or 4 power for most shooting, which equates to what I use with 22 magnum at the same ranges. So I am hoping that simplifies calibration of these things.
MickB

Post by MickB »

Also do you fellas have range finders mounted for that shooting?
SEW

Post by SEW »

No rangefinder mounted. I shoot to 100yds with both 380 & 405. Optimizer/scope. Use 2x at very short ranges and leave it there while hunting. At longer ranges move it on up to 8x as conditions and time permit.
Serious consideration: beyond ~60yds the trajectory really steepens. Range measurement becomes very critical. At 80 yds, a 2 yard miscalculation will cause a complete miss of a deer, 1 yard miscalculation will cause a poor hit. At 100yds, those #'s can become halved .
Personal opinion: a well set up crossbow can easily used to 60 yds(same with v-compound, IMO ); but for any distances much beyond, everything needs to be pretty well exact. In most hunting situations, everything is not normally "pretty well exact".
MickB

Post by MickB »

Thanks. yep i understand what you mean about trajectory. from long range rifle experience I know how things can drop like a stone past certain ranges.

Incidentally I have been playing around with http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html ballistic calculators. Going off the drop and velocities shown on the Arrrow performance page on this site for 350fps arrows it seems that arrow would have a ballistic coefficient of around .06 or a bit less. Plugging that into the right side table on the handloads link you can toggle velocities, energy, drop etc.
Just being an armchair newb at the moment waiting to get first 380 :)
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

MickB wrote:Also would the hawke XB30 also enable use of its reticle to 100 yards with the above speeds?
Yup. :D
paulaboutform wrote:Hi mick, I'm not sure which scope Ironoggin is using but he shoots an M380 with hash marks out there 100yards with some crazy accuracy.
Thanks Buddy :wink:

I use the Hawke XB 30 Compact (discontinued for whatever reason).
Running 400 grain arrows (until recently just shy of that) the hash marks are extremely good right out to 90 yards. At 100, I find I am holding just a smidgen above the bullseye to connect. Have realized some fine groupings with this set-up. (275 grain arrow with 125 grain heads). Methinks the similar Hawke scopes that have the same reticles will work well.

Paul is the HHA guru, and I know nothing about them. He too shoots Most Impressibility, and I look forward to the day we can get together to shoot and compare notes.

Only reason I did not investigate the HHA is I am Damn Rough on my equipment. Figured that being the case, the HHA would likely be setting myself up for future problems. The scope works OK for me instead, and seems to be able to put up with my rough treatment thus far...

I never did find a way to mount my rangefinder successfully on the 380 with the Hawke scope. Even had a tethered hotshoe put on my Bushnell 850 Pro to accommodate, but simply cannot finagle a way to mount it?

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I got rid of my HHA an went with the vortex viper XBR on my bow shooting of unknown speed but someware around 380 with a 415gr. arrow an with a 30yd. crosshair sight in on a little below 5x with my 10-50 marks I use the 10 mark for 50yds. ,the 20 mark for 70yds. , the 30 mark for 90yds. so the 40,50 mark will put it well over 100yds. a fine scope for long range with no HHA needed.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I actually mounted the rangefinder mount to my bow when I first got it. I didn't like it for a rangefinder or my camcorder. I would not recommend but that's just my opinion.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.