Question for the Guru's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Question for the Guru's

Post by xcaliber »

I know it is always best to shoot any broadhead before hunting with it, and I do this without fail. My findings today are with Muzzy 100 grain Fixed Blade Heads. They have the Trocor tips, but are not the Trocor heads, I know it sounds odd, but I didn't pick the names! :lol: :lol:
Anyway, I shot the 330 at 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 yards with near field point accuracy. The 355 shot 1" low at 20 / 2" low at 30 / 3" low at 40, and i did not shoot at 50. Field points, dead on!
Now, I'm not concerned so much that there was a difference, but I'm wondering if the added speed really makes that much difference, and has anyone else experienced something similar?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Re: Question for the Guru's

Post by vixenmaster »

Sounds to me they are pullin big drag wid'em. I jus ck'ed one of my HellRazor's at 20-30-40yds. I am sighted in wid Mech. hammerheads, still shootin a 2" group even wid the fixed head throwed into the mix. Goin huntin in the mornin myself
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I agree, but 25 more FPS causing that?? Seems odd, I went to my other heads on Trixxi, and they were right there, so i know it's the head, but it is spot on with the 330. :?
Going to use the Spitfires on the 355 anyway, but was interested to see how they flew from both bows, very surprised honestly.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dan i learned many yrs back that fixed BH's make their own rules on how they fly, :lol: Thats why i always take one & put it thru its paces from 10-60 yds if thats how far i figure i will shoot them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Interesting find. I'm a Muzzy guru but I only have one bow. The Trocars and MX3 heads fly almost the same POI out of my 380. Hope to get a chance to try one out next Saturday.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks, and good luck!
They did hit consistently out of the 355, and I almost readjusted the scope, but figured I would just use them with the 330, she seems to like them.
richard

Post by richard »

Not a guru but been useing muzzys for bout 20 years.
The 1 inch 4 blade flew dead on with field points out of my 330
but mx3s hit 5 inchs low. Wasnt until i refletch with the ez bolt
then they started hitting with field points. Hope it helps.
Matrix 330
Micro 315 (Skillet meat)
Muzzy mx3
Coffee
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I did these arrows with the EZ Bolt, and used same arrows with both bows. I just never seen that much difference between just 25 FPS difference in speeds. It was a real eye opener to say the least. If i had not tried them, and assumed that the flight from the 330 being spot on would be replicated with the 355, I would have possibly made a very bad shot. Thought it was worth sharing, and also hoping someone had some insight on why that would be. My take away is reinforced that you really have to check the bow to the broadheads!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Maybe it is a arrow spine issue not a broad head issue .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I did consider that, but I'm using Zombie Slayers with both bows, actually the same arrows. Yes, the thrust from the 330 is less than the 355, but other heads did not demonstrate this difference. I did this same comparison using NAP Thunder Heads, and both bows put them about an inch to the right at 40 yards, the closer ranges were too close to measure. I also have shot mechanical head practice points with both bows, and found very close POI with both. I shot several groups with both bows today, and the results were consistent. I could have just adjusted the scope on the 355 to the heads and moved on, but the variation is puzzling to me with these heads. i like them, and plan to use them with the 330. I had already committed to using another head on the 355, but just did this exercise for my information. Perhaps what I want more from the post is to educate others to not assume same / same from two different bows. I cannot explain why, just what!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ive been a fixed blade user all my archery career about 38 years your never gonna figure the broadhead out. You must give yourself credit for the time n effort in the fact you care enough to perfect the flight. One day you will have a giant coffee can or two like me full of different brands of heads to try and maby 40 different brands lol. Once you figure out the zen of the broadhead it will teach you a new lesson. Me ive gone lazy n went to the spitfire it seems to fly exactly like my fieldpoints in four different crossbows.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:Ive been a fixed blade user all my archery career about 38 years your never gonna figure the broadhead out. You must give yourself credit for the time n effort in the fact you care enough to perfect the flight. One day you will have a giant coffee can or two like me full of different brands of heads to try and maby 40 different brands lol. Once you figure out the zen of the broadhead it will teach you a new lesson. Me ive gone lazy n went to the spitfire it seems to fly exactly like my fieldpoints in four different crossbows.
Thanks Bud! Already got me a starter can! :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Dan, you're not imagining things. I went through this years ago with my verts and slick tricks. When the average 'speed' bows were doing about 315fps my slick tricks/hoyt ultratec combo was exact same poi as field points. This was true for all the models in that speed range. When pse came out with the original X-Force and I made the switch I was shocked to have a different poi than my field points. Still grouped well but had to sight in with my slicks. My experience is that, generally, what you gain with speed and power of speed bows is diminished by hyper sensitivity of setup and equipment. Meaning, you can put just about anything on the front of an old vixen and drive tacks all day whereas the 380/405, as deadly as they are, can be more critical of equipment with the extra speed. I won't state any of the obvious as I know your aware of spin testing, grain matching, yadayada. Good luck with them. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bdog

Post by bdog »

Wanna c whats really goin on, u need to wind tunnel test them, good luck tryin that tho, the slightest tweak on a race car/bike, makes a world of difference...
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Makes sense to me. Thanks.