Serving health and maintenance?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IndianapolisJones

Serving health and maintenance?

Post by IndianapolisJones »

Hi everyone! First post, first thread.

Been lurking here since I bought my first crossbow a little over a month ago, an Ibex SMF.

Background on the bow and performance: it's all stock except for the Fast Flemish string I added about 60 shots ago. I finally got it stretched to where I'm at a 1 1/8" brace height and holding, and it's shooting really well. I'm grouping dead on at 20, 30 and 40 marks. For some reason, probably user error, best I can do is 3" off target in any direction at 50 yards. This is with a heavy bolt for my rig: Easton (Barnett) Headhunters at 425gr+, which I will be hunting with in a week and a half. Anyway, all of my shots on game will be well within 40 yards so it's good. :D

The question: how exactly do I know when my string serving needs replaced? After these 60 shots, there are definitely "claw marks" or impressions in the serving, mashed way down:

Now I don't see the raw string underneath it yet, but the strands in the serving are moving some - mashing in and to the sides a little around the claws. Is this normal and safe? If so, when is it no longer safe? What does that look like?

FWIW, I've been keeping it waxed regularly with the Bowning Seal-Tite (green tube silicon variety). Thanks in advance for the time and opinions!
xcaliber

Re: Serving health and maintenance?

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome, and congrats on a fine bow. I too like the Bohning Wax. You can rotate the string 180 degrees, not flip end of limbs, just turn it to use the other side of the serving. Get another string just in case though, and stretch it in before the season if possible, this way you always have one on, and one in the pack ready to hunt with. That arrow weight is heavy, but not too heavy. Lot of folks here like the heavy arrows.

Good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Winddrifter

Post by Winddrifter »

I use only real bee,s wax. Third the other but found it caused serving ware premature. I use it on the rail every 10 to 15 shots. Rotating the serving will also help. Silicone on the serving causes it to slip under the pressure of the forks.
Stan
Winddrifter

Post by Winddrifter »

should have said tried silicone on serving, haved gone to real bee wax. silicone causes serving to move or slip under the preasure of the forks, wax is much more sticky. micro places a lot of tension on the serving. i replaced the serving 3 times before i switched to bee wax. make sure you rub the wax into the serving with a leather strip so it melts in good, the use of a hair dryer will also melt the wax into the serving, just do not over heat.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Winddrifter wrote:should have said tried silicone on serving, haved gone to real bee wax. silicone causes serving to move or slip under the preasure of the forks, wax is much more sticky. micro places a lot of tension on the serving. i replaced the serving 3 times before i switched to bee wax. make sure you rub the wax into the serving with a leather strip so it melts in good, the use of a hair dryer will also melt the wax into the serving, just do not over heat.
Welcome to the forum. Try some teflon spray on your rail. Spray on rag, wipe on deck, then wipe off. I do wax my serving, but very lightly. To much wax may clog up your trigger box and excess wax may push your serving apart.JMO
Hank
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Welcome aboard...

I don't wax my serving and have almost no serving wear on my Micro .... after probably more than 200 shots. I do my own reserving and use Angel Majesty serving material and stretch my strings on a bow press for maximum pressure while serving..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
IndianapolisJones

Post by IndianapolisJones »

Thanks for the advice so far! I'll look into real bees wax and getting some silicon spray for the rail.

Based on that serving picture above, any reason not to hunt this whole season on that serving? It's safe as long as the string isn't showing, right?
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

IndianapolisJones wrote:Thanks for the advice so far! I'll look into real bees wax and getting some silicon spray for the rail.

Based on that serving picture above, any reason not to hunt this whole season on that serving? It's safe as long as the string isn't showing, right?
I personally wouldn't want to start the season with the serving looking like that ! Leaving your bow cocked for hours while hunting is Extremely hard on serving . So you need to start hunting with it in good shape . JMO
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I wax the serving very lightly with Dalton's (the best wax out there IMO) and treat the rail with Archoil AR 2400. It is a very slick dry lube. It's actually a firearm product, but it works great on the rail.

Makes the magazines for my Ruger SR1911 slide in and out very easily and makes them easier to load.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><