Stirrup slipped of foot while cocking my Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sam, just Sam...

Re: Stirrup slipped of foot while cocking my Excalibur

Post by Sam, just Sam... »

I just had to go cock mine again to see! I keep my bow right next to my right knee and the butt is pretty much pointing right at my gut! I tried a few different ways like you said, but I couldn't get it figured out! I just will keep doing what I have been, and just put my fut WAY into the stirrup. Maybe you could record a video for us?
Sam
Titus 2:11-14, 2 Cor 5:11-21,
Micro, not much done to it, pretty awesome as is.
Sam
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

Sam, just Sam... wrote:I just had to go cock mine again to see! I keep my bow right next to my right knee and the butt is pretty much pointing right at my gut! I tried a few different ways like you said, but I couldn't get it figured out! I just will keep doing what I have been, and just put my fut WAY into the stirrup. Maybe you could record a video for us?
Sam
My thoughts EXACTLY..... put my fut way way into the stirrup...
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
Drew

Post by Drew »

I don't see how you could put even pressure on each handle of the rope cocker if you have the bow outside of one leg. I stand right over mine and pull evenly...I do this to prevent uneven pressure on the limbs. There was a post on here last year I believe about how uneven pressure can cause change in poi.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

The proper way of cocking your bow "never has the butt of the stock pointing at any part of your body".

I know it seems to be easier when you are directly over the bow when cocking, but after you learn how to cock the bow properly, with the stock along the outside of your leg, it is not that difficult.

Please people, learn how to do things the "safe way", it might keep you from having to feel a lot of pain.

Tom
I am still waiting for an explanation of the :SAFE WAY:.... from what I have been able to find out, ANYTHING other than cocking a crossbow, with the stock along the inside of the leg in the stirrup, would be an UNSAFE WAY. Everything I have found out, says, " Stock along the inside of your leg, which puts the but of the stock, pointed at your upper body. Maybe Tom will enlighten on the subject of his post..... about this SAFE WAY.
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
Tom

Post by Tom »

Richieg150 wrote:
The proper way of cocking your bow "never has the butt of the stock pointing at any part of your body".

I know it seems to be easier when you are directly over the bow when cocking, but after you learn how to cock the bow properly, with the stock along the outside of your leg, it is not that difficult.

Please people, learn how to do things the "safe way", it might keep you from having to feel a lot of pain.

Tom
I am still waiting for an explanation of the :SAFE WAY:.... from what I have been able to find out, ANYTHING other than cocking a crossbow, with the stock along the inside of the leg in the stirrup, would be an UNSAFE WAY. Everything I have found out, says, " Stock along the inside of your leg, which puts the but of the stock, pointed at your upper body. Maybe Tom will enlighten on the subject of his post..... about this SAFE WAY.
My method is like I post earlier in this thread.
Tom wrote:......................
I have been shooting crossbows for well over 35 years (even before Excalibur). Back then, the stirrup was "small", so much so that large boots would only get toes in. Feet slipping out of a stirrup was common, as well as some people getting hurt seriously.

They way I was taught was this way.
  • 1- check bow over for problems
    2- place bow with the stirrup flat on the ground
    3- place foot securely into the stirrup with your knee beside the stock
    4- grip string with hands on both sides of rail (this was before rope cocking), with your thumbs against the side of rail
    5- with your knees bent in a squatting position, stand up, pulling the string, using mostly your legs, finishing the last bit with your arms
That is the method I and my family & friends have always used. The addition of the "rope cocker" will only change #4, but it is basically the same.

Tom
Until you have the crossbow string locked into the trigger, the bow is ready to fire the butt into your body if something were to ever let go or break with the stirrup. the safest way is to have the stock outside your legs and the stock pointing away from your body, not into it.

Drew wrote:I don't see how you could put even pressure on each handle of the rope cocker if you have the bow outside of one leg. I stand right over mine and pull evenly...I do this to prevent uneven pressure on the limbs. There was a post on here last year I believe about how uneven pressure can cause change in poi.
I did not say it was "easy", it is a learned practice. But after you learn it, it becomes second nature.

Yes, "uneven pressure" when cocking is the most common fault of inaccuracy of the bow. If you use a "rope cocker", it will maintain even pressure even if you pull more with one arm then the other (just the way they are designed).

As for accuracy, with my way of cocking the bow, I would average 1-2" groups at 60-65 yards when I was younger. This was sitting in a chair (like it would happen when hunting) and not off a bench.

At this years BooFest, I finished second, with a borrowed bow (355) and Reno only bested me by 1.5". I was 3" off, freehand at 49 yards, I had guesstimated 51 yards LOL :lol: :lol:

So I guess it shows my method is accurate.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Silverovertime

Post by Silverovertime »

Cocking the bow is one thing, just don't ever forget to remove the bolt if decocking with the rope cocker. That practice can result in a really interesting situation even if the broadheaded bolt doesn't go through your foot.
Time to put another log on the fire!
Exocet 200
Exomax
Matrix 380
Matrix 405
Micro 335