Christmas in October

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Green380

Christmas in October

Post by Green380 »

Well the UPS guy just dropped of my new 380.
Just got it assembled (not that there is much to assemble) so excited about shooting it for the first time but I have to be an adult at the moment and get the groceries.
I've been lurking on the board for awhile and signed up when I knew my bow was on the way. This is my first crossbow and while I don't think I'll get much hunting in this year I hope to get out a few times.
I couldn't decide on the 380 or 335 but ended up with the 380 as wholesale sports had a great package deal.
Regular price of $1099 for the bow but with
Ex Pack Backpack
Tombstone Case,
Matrix String,
Stringing Aid,
String Wax,
Rail Lube,
Sling,
Lens Mate,
3pk Illuminated Arrows.

I also bought a set of bolt cutters to get me started.

It's like Christmas morning!
My daughter who is only 3 wants to have a bow just like her mom now. So any suggestions on toy crossbows?
TheBig1

Re: Christmas in October

Post by TheBig1 »

Well welcome to the forums and also welcome to the Excalibur family. You will learn so much knowledge here that it's not funny.

As for daughters, I took my 6 year old with me on Saturday and she absolutely loved it. I'm taking off this Friday since she has Friday and Monday off for Columbus Day, and we're going hunting Friday and Monday together again. I'll be going alone on Saturday.

Again, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you're going to LOVE your new killing machine. Of course, you have to name it now. :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I saw a post recently with a nerf crossbow :mrgreen:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum! :D Sounds like you're all set for now, enjoy. Just a couple things to remember, if you have both the cocking aid and stringing aid, make sure you maintain the proper brace height and do not over do it with the wax. Just a small amount and rub it in vigorously with your fingers and wipe away any excess with a cloth. I would stay well away from the rail lube. It'll collect dirt and dust and cause premature ware of your serving. Again, welcome and great bow choice. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Welcome aboard enjoy :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
wathst

Post by wathst »

Welcome to another Bluenoser :D
Matrix 380, BEE's w Lumenoks, Leupold CrossBones, TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Green380

Post by Green380 »

thanks for the welcome guys, I've been reading through the past pages of the forum but you guys generate threads at such a rate it can be hard to read back when there's so much new stuff. Lots of knowledge here.
TheBig1 wrote: As for daughters, I took my 6 year old with me on Saturday and she absolutely loved it. I'm taking off this Friday since she has Friday and Monday off for Columbus Day, and we're going hunting Friday and Monday together again. I'll be going alone on Saturday.
I saw that post, so awesome to see! That picture was adorable. I can't wait till mine is old enough to come; by then I'll hopefully know what I'm doing and have something to pass on. She loves the woods and outdoors luckily.
BrotherRon wrote:I saw a post recently with a nerf crossbow :mrgreen:
Fantastic idea, I think she'd love that.
paulaboutform wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D Sounds like you're all set for now, enjoy. Just a couple things to remember, if you have both the cocking aid and stringing aid, make sure you maintain the proper brace height and do not over do it with the wax. Just a small amount and rub it in vigorously with your fingers and wipe away any excess with a cloth. I would stay well away from the rail lube. It'll collect dirt and dust and cause premature ware of your serving. Again, welcome and great bow choice. :wink:

Paul
I kind of feel like I got the Excalibur 'fan boy' package lol. I do have the stringing aid so I'll be able to keep an eye on the brace height. 10-4 on the wax. No rail lube eh? Makes sense that it would collect dirt. Guess that's why I'm here. :D
Anyone actually use the lube?

wathst wrote:Welcome to another Bluenoser :D
Thanks! Seem to be lots of bows around here.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Welcome, your going to love it!!! As for lube, I just put wd-40 on a rag and wipe down the rail. Maybe once a month or so. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Welcome. It was just like Christmas without the pine needle mess! :lol: Enjoy your new bow. You hit the jackpot with Excalibur.
Green380

Post by Green380 »

ugh so the bad news is much like I feared I can't quite cock the 380... so now I need to wait for the C2 crank aid to come in. Luckily my husband didn't make good on his statement that if I couldn't draw it would have to be his bow :lol:
For anyone else who runs across this wondering if they could draw it. It of course gets progressively heavier the further along you go, the last 3 inches or so it seems to increase a lot. I have deformed shoulders which leaves me with no shoulder/upper back strength, in this case my arms really couldn't compensate. If there was some way I could hunker down and let me lower back and legs lift again it wouldn't be an issue at all. But at 5'9" I am standing up fully with my arms straight just as the string is about to hit the anti dry fire pin.
While I can get it past the anti dry fire, I then can't quite get it latched up to the trigger. :oops: I figure I could probably draw the 330 and 310. I considered getting a 310 stock...but well crank aid it is.
Of course my husband didn't have an issue doing it :lol: I will have to survive some teasing no doubt. But C2 crank it is.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the bow and welcome to the forum!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

Welcome aboard and congrats on a fine crossbow and sounds like you got as great deal!! I don't even want to say that cocking a 380 is not for the average person so I won't :-) It does stack up towards the end of the pull and if you struggle with that, I wouldn't try to force it as you may very well injure yourself. You also probably wouldn't be able to cock it very many times so your shooting sessions would be very short I'm guessing. Sounds like the C2 is the way to go if you must have the performance of the 380. If you are almost there using the cocking rope, it might help to shorten the cocking rope a bit so that you are a bit further up the rails as you fully extend yourself upright.
Matrix 380 Blackout
HHA Optimizer Speed Dial, Air Brakes, DR Kit, TriggerTech SS
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Welcome aboard. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on is forum...
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Welcome ! Cograts. on your crossbow! Ron! :D