Which Excalibur to buy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ironcat4

Which Excalibur to buy?

Post by Ironcat4 »

I am new to the Excalibur forum and enjoy reading through the posts and questions. Always like seeing pictures as well of fellow shooters and their crossbows.

I am looking to buy a new Excalibur crossbow! Now I have to figure out what I want.

I've shot quite a few and other than shooting through the chronograph I can't see a huge difference. Some weigh a bit more than others but I still dont know what I should buy.

My thinking is the Matrix 380 or possibly the Mega 405. My son has the Micro 335 so I get to shoot that one quite often.

So maybe some of you guys that have the experience might be willing to share if you did it all over again what Excalibur would you be buying today?

Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

Ironcat4
Ironcat4

Mike Davis
[email protected]

Excalibur Matrix 380
Air Brakes
Trigger Tech 2.5 Hunter
Zeiss XB75
Executioner bolts
TheBig1

Re: Which Excalibur to buy?

Post by TheBig1 »

First off, welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot here. I'm sure everyone is going to literally say that you can't go wrong with choosing ANY Excalibur regardless of what it is.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

Its all a personal choice. Thats like saying what kind of truck to buy. I usually go middle of the road so i have a matrix 355.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I went with the 405. Love it. I was concerned about the draw weight, but it is not an issue. As accurate as can be and enough power to make long shots, if you wanted to. I am making some killer target shots at 80 yds. and plan on stretching it on out to 100+. It was the right crossbow for me.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The old Exomax rated at 350 ft/sec with a 350 gr arra took the largest mammal that walks the earth, an elephant. At under 300 ft/sec with the same arrow weight, a Vixen took an Ontario record moose. That been said, any of the hunting bows will be fine for anything in North America with maybe the exception of big bears.
I think that given the above, tailor your choice to shooting outside of hunting. The Grizzly just won't cut it for 100 meter shooting at targets, the 405 would be perfect for long range and Antelope/Mulies where longer shots may be necessary. A good middle of the road would be the 330 or 355. You won't go wrong with either and both would be reasonable choices. Accuracy really isn't in the equation because all Excalibur bows are all stupid accurate.
Personally, I want a flatter trajectory, but that not everyone's cup of tea. With higher performance comes a higher possibility of something going wrong like limb failure, serving wear, fasteners coming loose and pulling arras out of a tree after it zips through a deer :mrgreen: .
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

The Matrix 355 is a very good all around crossbow. Much easier to cock than the bigger ones when shooting all afternoon, yet plenty big for any North American big game. If you are young and tough the 380, 405, or micro models are an exceptional choice but can be a little rough practicing unless you limit yourself to shorter shooting sessions. I can tell the difference between my 310 and 330... The 310 is easy enough for me to shoot all afternoon and a very smooth shooting crossbow. The 330 I use for hunting and is big enough for any deer or bear I will be shooting, deadly accurate as all excaliburs, but a little harsher. The bigger you go the harsher the shot will be.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its one of those choices you never ever getstid right. I have been buyin n shootin Excals fer 18 yrs, i still sell n buy n shoot, :lol: I do alot of huntin, so the 405 i bought was jus too heavy fer this older messed guy. I have a Micro n a C2 to cock it, i had a 355 Matrix but sold it. Lookin to buy a 380 Blk-out, :) So you see the pickle jar you have crawled into, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Ironcat4

Post by Ironcat4 »

Well, i looked at the forum to see if any answers posted and to my suprise, so far 6 responses. Thanks alot.

Im a traditional shooter and have been for about 25 years. Just recently had a new longbow built for me at a lower weight cuase Im not getting any younger thats for sure.

Im not a speed junkie but the flatter trajectory that I so love kinda pushes me to the faster end of things.

Im thinking about the Matrix 380 being a good spot to land for me. I also agree with th epost above that speaks about being the 405 mega might have a lot more abuse going on but obviously the excal warranty and service would address any needs and or problems.

Ok so, maybe the 380 is the way to go!

Thanks everybody, trust you all to have a great day.

ironcat4
Ironcat4

Mike Davis
[email protected]

Excalibur Matrix 380
Air Brakes
Trigger Tech 2.5 Hunter
Zeiss XB75
Executioner bolts
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If cocking is not a concern, the 380 is nicely equipped, and plenty powerful.
Welcome aboard, good luck on your decision.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....based upon your narrative I might suggest the 380...It truly is a dynamite flat shooting XB....and gives you all of the speed you most likely ever will need...i love it so much that I could not bring myself to selling it in spite of the fact that today I shoot pretty much exclusively the 335 (as I am 5'4" and it fits so perfectly in my arms)....

....there is no way you should be unhappy with the 380....

...Welcome to the forum...nice to have you aboard...why not go back and complete your registration entering from where you hail from...it helps all of us to help you should issues arise and we need to point you in the right direction!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Tom

Post by Tom »

I will not tell you what is best, because I do not know what you will want it for the most.

Are you just a hunter and will only shoot it to sight in and then hunt, or will you want to be constantly shooting it for fun. Will you want to include family members (wife, kids, grandchildren) in the shooting experience.

Do you have the ability to hold up (in the shooting position) for longer periods of time which may happen when hunting, while waiting for the clean shot. Is the size of the bow a major issue (width & length).

If you plan on doing a lot of shooting or plan on including family members, maybe a lower power bow should be your choice. Also if you have trouble holding the larger and or longer bows in position to shoot (some are more front heavy then others), then a more compact bow might be best (you did mention your not getting younger LOL).

The above are just a few things for you to think about in your choice.

Good luck

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Rather-B-Huntin

Post by Rather-B-Huntin »

I've got a Micro and a 380. The 380 definitely has an edge in performance, but the Micro just "feels" better to me. It's lighter and packs better. Less chance of limb hitting something. Mine is averaging 338fps. Nothing I'd hesitate to go after in North America with it.
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Rather-B-Huntin wrote:I've got a Micro and a 380. The 380 definitely has an edge in performance, but the Micro just "feels" better to me. It's lighter and packs better. Less chance of limb hitting something. Mine is averaging 338fps. Nothing I'd hesitate to go after in North America with it.

....RBH what "magic potion" have you sprinkled on that 335 to get it blistering arra's at 335...might you share your arra recipe with me....you have my word I will not tell a soul! :shock: :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I was shooting a 355 and love it , but as everyone says you can't have to many cross bows so I got me a 380 and love that one to . I got them set up the same , I will hunt with the 380 this year just to see how he does. they are both very good bows . you won't go wrong on matter you decide . good luck with your new bow.
W.M.
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Welcome to forum! I shoot the 355 and I really like it,took one deer with it this season! What ever you choose in the Excibur CB,will be a good one,as long as you are happy with it! Ron! :D