CAUTION - Vanes and vane setback!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

CAUTION - Vanes and vane setback!

Post by BrotherRon »

I recently got some new arrows and am glad I always try to look and make sure the arrows are seated before shooting.
I started using 7/8" setback on my vanes when I got my custom arrows from big John with blazer vanes. With the vanes being closer to the nock they rub on the bottom of the scope mount. With the blazer vanes they bend down a bit and still slide in pretty good. With the SK 300 style vanes they can actually slip inside the bottom of the scope mount and hang up if not paying attention, which will result in about 1/4" gap between the nock and string resulting in a partial dri-fire. For future arrows I may go back to 1.5" instead of 7/8" setback.
At least I was able to figure out what was going on and will pay attention so that I don't end up with a partial dry-fire.
Just a "Heads Up" to anyone using this combination of vanes & setback.

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Boo

Re: CAUTION - Vanes and vane setback!

Post by Boo »

Thank you for the warning Ron! Good post!!
Most people do not believe these bows can deliver a semi dry-fire, but they can. When the limbs are split, cracked, splintered and if you not the mindful type, broken.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
strum

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:Thank you for the warning Ron! Good post!!
Most people do not believe these bows can deliver a semi dry-fire, but they can. When the limbs are split, cracked, splintered and if you not the mindful type, broken.
I dont belive this at all. Most cracks or breaks in the limbs are Excaliburs fault ...says the new guy who just bought his bow at 9pm the day before opening and sights it in using his truck headlights so he can hunt in the morning. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

strum wrote:
I dont belive this at all. Most cracks or breaks in the limbs are Excaliburs fault ...says the new guy who just bought his bow at 9pm the day before opening and sights it in using his truck headlights so he can hunt in the morning. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

................... With the string BURIED in the Reds making them look like a pinched marshmallow..... Yup bad limbs.. :lol: :lol:

Whats a stringer for again????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger